Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted) | Page 41 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted)

Manny Lawson seems like a guy who is quitely rising in the 1st round. What do you like best about him and who do you compare him to in the NFL?

nick1 said:
I wouldn't put much into the wonderlic test, I think the test is meaningless. lots of good players have done bad on it
Yeah but when you get an extreme score (good or bad) it probably carries more meaning than when you get a score in the average ranges.

Ace88 said:
Manny Lawson seems like a guy who is quitely rising in the 1st round. What do you like best about him and who do you compare him to in the NFL?

The obvious comparisons are Jason Taylor...John Abraham...Willie McGinest...those guys. He's not as heavy as McGinest, it is good to note.

He's basically a Taylor clone. He came in 6'5" and some change, 241 pounds. The most he's ever weighed is 247 pounds he says...so he's never going to be a real heavy player. He did 23 reps of the 225 pound press.

He's very experienced at the art of the pass rush, and he knows how you have to play the mental game with a range of moves as well as the physical game with lightning off the edge. Honestly I love the guy as a 4-3 DE...I think any team looking for a RDE in the 4-3 should be staring right at him because he's the best 4-3 DE in the draft bar none (not even Mario Williams is better as a 4-3 DE, IMO). I see Williams being more impact as a 3-4 DE that kind of moves inside/out and uses his athleticism and huge size all over the place.

But Manny Lawson was voted by coaches and players as the team MVP this year on defense, not Mario Williams. This situation reminds me of how Jason Taylor and Adewale Ogunleye combined for so many sacks a few years ago, but Ogun had more than JT. Don't get me wrong I'm not starting some "Mario Williams is overrated" sentiment, just saying that Manny and Mario should be rated more closely to one another than has been written so far.

He claims his best 40 time was a 4.45 and he was hoping to beat his best in Indy. Even if he doesn't that's tremendous athleticism. I haven't seen the official results yet but I believe he has a 46 inch vertical too (unbelievable).

He played linebacker as a freshman and sophomore, so he's familiar with the position...and he says he's very comfortable in coverage because he's had zone coverage responsibilities his whole career even as a DE.

He's a team leader, a tremendous player, and I think he's got to be a serious possibility at pick #16. If we don't take him at #16, I believe the Patriots will take him at #21.

ChambersWI said:
Boomer,

Since it looks like neither Cutler nor Huff will be available at 16, and Vince Young will more than likely not be on our radar (if he falls as far as you,CK, and myself believe), who do you think we should draft if we don't trade down?

Should we go after a CB Antonio Cromartie(who, if healthy, would be the best CB in the draft), Ashton Youboty, or Tye Hill? Or should we go for Ko Simpson?

Cromartie, Broderick Bunkley, Winston Justice and Gabe Watson right now would be my top 4. I like Hill and Simpson a lot, but maybe just a little later than 16.

burghPhinFan said:
Mayouck was about to criticize his mechanics until he saw his accuracy. Maybe he could work out.

Thing is, in the sterile atmosphere of the RCA Dome, with no rushers and time to think about things like footwork etc. then I'm sure he looked better. Just pop in a BG game and you'll see what I mean. I think the Dolphins are locked in on 3 QB's, Whitehurst, Croyle and Clemons.

nick1 said:
I know this doesn't have much if anything to do with the Dolphins but I just want to say that I think Vince Young will be a great player. He is a once in a life time player, he has superior skills and is an absolute gamer. Do you agree?

I think he's an elite college QB, much like Steve Taylor, Charlie Ward, Tommie Frazier, et al. He hasn't shown me consistent NFL anything in terms of mechanics, decision making, touch, arm, accuracy, ability to make NFL throws etc. Coupled with a horrible off-season of poor advice and decision making from Team Vince Young and capped off with the 6 on the Wonderlich.........I don't agree.

nick1 said:
I wouldn't put much into the wonderlic test, I think the test is meaningless. lots of good players have done bad on it

Not for QB's it isn't. When you're asking a guy to study complex NFL systems, break down a Bill Belichek defense and the kid can't even get to double figures on a pretty basic test, that's an issue. And a huge one right there.

There were criticisms of Mack Brown for simplifying the UT offense and for almost giving up on coaching Young. I think all those critics should be apologising to the coach about now as it's pretty clear why that offense was boiled down to what it was.

Gentlemen, what do you think of Whitehurst's decision to not throw at the combine? I'm thinking it must be health related because his arm definitely didn't look full strength at All Star Challenge. Also do you think this will affect his stock.

motioncityhifi said:
Boom or CK,
I was wondering your thoughts on the Auburn receivers that ran today, Mix and Aromashadu are. I would like to add a big vertical threat to the offense but was wondering what round you project these two. Also I was wondering how strong of an interest Miam is showing if any at all for Davin Joesph.

I like Devin Aromashadu and I also like Ben Obamanu as well, the 3rd of that Auburn triumverate. He - Aromashadu - ran well today, he's raw, but apparently has a 42 inch vertical. He runs good routes but he needs coaching up. He doesn't block well down the field but all his faults are coachable. He has big play threat written all over him IMHO.

Miami has shown a lot of interest in Joseph. We would consider him a strong candidate at 51 in the unlikely event of him still being available. Seems as though Coach Saban went after him pretty hard in Mobile with interviews etc. He's a good player who can play inside and out.

nick1 said:
also, according to Young the coaches he has talked to say his throwing motion is fine and I agree. he is too tall for his motion to be a issue

Sorry mate, I disagree with that wholeheartedly. There is a LOT of concern about his motion. It doesn't matter how tall he is, the ball is still coming out lower than his actual height. And he's not playing against midgets either.

tmny99 said:
Gentlemen, what do you think of Whitehurst's decision to not throw at the combine? I'm thinking it must be health related because his arm definitely didn't look full strength at All Star Challenge. Also do you think this will affect his stock.

Strange and I think it's affected his stock somewhat because some people put on a show today and really helped themselves. I don't believe he believes he's in that group with Cutler and Leinart, and it isn't as though he doesn't have the good arm because he does. I just think sometimes you just have to get out there and get it done. If you lose some ground, you make it up again at your Pro Day. I mean, it's throwing a football, not arthriscopic knee surgery. He's been doing it every day of his life since he was about 4.

Boomer this is just more of an opinion question.

Demetrius Williams or Richard Marshall in the 2nd, or a completely different direction?

Ace88 said:

I agree with all that CK's written. I know that he's being considered strongly by Romeo Crennell and his team. Romeo had such great success with McGinest and of course saw JT and Abraham twice a year for a lot of years, so he knows what a clone of those guys can do for a defense.

This is a kid who went to the Senior Bowl and flat out proved he could cover a back out of the backfield, could live with a TE in coverage, as well as flash the outstanding rush ability off the edge. He possesses terrific hands, is strong - in Mobile, he bullrushed Marcus McNeil into the QB. Remember, McNeil is what, 6'7 and 339lbs. He's giving Lawson just under 100lbs. I also love his hustle to the ball, similar to Taylor. JT NEVER gives up on a play, never ever and it's very commonplace to see him 30,40 yards downfield hustling a play. And Lawson's diagnosis and recognition skills have always impressed me as well. He reads the game of football very well.

I have no doubt he'll be high on Saban's radar - the chance to mold his own Jason Taylor from a rookie - and he'd be in my top 10 of picks for the 16 spot.

ChambersWI said:
Boomer this is just more of an opinion question.

Demetrius Williams or Richard Marshall in the 2nd, or a completely different direction?

Well mate it would depend on what we did in 1. I also don't see Demetrius going that high. Marshall is an intriguing guy who we have been all over in Indy. The Pat Hill connection also can't be sniffed at. Had he stayed a year longer at Fresno State, he's pushing R1. He'd have to be in the mix as our 2nd rounder.

Boomer said:
Well mate it would depend on what we did in 1. I also don't see Demetrius going that high. Marshall is an intriguing guy who we have been all over in Indy. The Pat Hill connection also can't be sniffed at. Had he stayed a year longer at Fresno State, he's pushing R1. He'd have to be in the mix as our 2nd rounder.

I'd probably go with Marshall but I consider it a good question. I think Demetrius is the 4th best non-QB wide receiver prospect in the draft, behind Holmes, Jackson, and Moss. He's a spidery guy that always catches with his hands, has really good RAC instincts, long lean frame (needs some bulk) and he reminds me of Keenan McCardell. He doesn't have great straight line speed but so far he's managed to stand out every opportunity he's had. He was arguably the best receiver at the Senior Bowl maybe outside of Sinorice Moss. Now, supposedly he's looked good in the drills at the Combine but did not run there.

Back
Top Bottom