Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted) | Page 42 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted)

What round do you gurus see Anwar Phillips going in? I like him, but I have only seen two games of his. If he was there in the third I would jump on him.

Yardbird99 said:
What round do you gurus see Anwar Phillips going in? I like him, but I have only seen two games of his. If he was there in the third I would jump on him.

There were mixed reviews of him at the Senior Bowl but overall I got the feeling he dropped to Day 2.

Right now I'll conservatively say 4th round.

Boomer said:
Sorry mate, I disagree with that wholeheartedly. There is a LOT of concern about his motion. It doesn't matter how tall he is, the ball is still coming out lower than his actual height. And he's not playing against midgets either.
I definitely respect your opinion but I stick by my opinion that he will be a good maybe a great NFL QB... Is there any way Huff falls to us?

Hey Boomer, I've heard the Texans may trade their #1 pick. Any insight as to who really wants the pick and what effect it may have on who goes where? Thanks.

Finfan5 said:
Hey Boomer, I've heard the Texans may trade their #1 pick. Any insight as to who really wants the pick and what effect it may have on who goes where? Thanks.
I think the Texans should trade down but with 1 of the top 5 teams. they should want D'Brickashaw Ferguson to help solidify their o-line and he would be a top 5 player. I think the Jets are a team who would be interested in trading up to #1, they need a new QB and Jay Cutler who is said to be their guy might be gone to the Titans who would take Cutler at #3. So I think the Jets are a possible suitor

nick1 said:
why? the wonderlic means nothing in the NFL, too much stock is put into it
Intelligence means something in the NFL...no? The test is designed to give a general idea of one's capacity in that particular area...so I'd say it does have merit in the NFL. Besides, if you've ever watched an interview with VY, this test merely confirm one's instincts.

any thing to say about brett elliott? just saw a write up on nfl.com sounded to me like he would be worth a 7th rounder

Finfan5 said:

They may be thinking D'Brickashaw Ferguson to help solidify the OL, but also they may be thinking that if they trade from #1 to #4, neither the Saints at #2 nor the Titans at #3 are prepared to take Reggie Bush...so they trade down, collect picks, and still get the guy they targeted all along. It would be quite a coup...take the guy they were prepared to take #1 overall at #4, pay him way less money than you have to pay the #1 pick, and pick up a bunch of extras in the process.

StLouisFinFan said:
Intelligence means something in the NFL...no? The test is designed to give a general idea of one's capacity in that particular area...so I'd say it does have merit in the NFL. Besides, if you've ever watched an interview with VY, this test merely confirm one's instincts.

It's a test of functional intelligence. I've taken it before. A common misconception is that the test is somehow specialized in some way toward football or something else. It is not. I compare it to the SAT. It is a very standardized, pocket-sized test used to basically break down everyone in the world into a 1 through 50 intelligence score...to put it bluntly. The NFL adopted it because the entire major corporate world had adopted it as well as a means of testing the intelligence of potential new employees. This is how I ended up taking it a couple years back.

Going with the SAT comparison, scoring a 6 is like getting a 500 on the SAT...where you get 400 just for spelling your name right.

FRB1967 said:
any thing to say about brett elliott? just saw a write up on nfl.com sounded to me like he would be worth a 7th rounder

They've really started pimping Mr. Elliott and there's no doubt he's a guy that you sort of wish got back into D1A to mix things up, get coached by quality coaches, learn and grow by facing quality defenses, etc...he seems to have a great attitude. He's certainly got size, athleticism, a good arm.

But he's scattershot. He's also an inconsistent decision maker. Nobody even knows if this guy is capable of reading a defense.

I look at him and part of me wants to say, why not? He belongs on this level. Another part of me wants to say, because X, X, X, X, X, X, X, and X are all better than him...right now.

He's one of those guys certainly WORTHY of the 7th round consideration (as are most QBs when you feel like you have something in them) but it will depend on his interviews and private workouts and just which teams get that 'feeling' on him.

Personally in the 7th round if I still need a QB I'm looking at Darrell Hackney. The height is really scaring teams, but someone is going to realize that hey, wait a minute, the only thing keeping this guy from being a first rounder is his height and MAYBE his hot/cold nature. Otherwise, the guy's got top notch physical skills. There's a reason everyone thought he was 6'2" when he turned out to be 5'11"...he's got a fullback's body and he's built rock solid. If he can learn to see down the field well and to find the passing lanes he could still be successful at the next level. That's what Drew Brees had to do...and Darrell's got like 10x the arm of Brees.

Yardbird99 said:

Yeah he struggled some in Mobile playing off so far as the rules dicate and not flashing the catch up speed. I too would stick him in the 4th/5th round area.

nick1 said:
I definitely respect your opinion but I stick by my opinion that he will be a good maybe a great NFL QB... Is there any way Huff falls to us?

Agreeing to disagree is thus the best option. :wink:

Re: Huff......unfortunately no. I think probably he goes in the top 10. Even if he doesn't I think Atlanta would jump all over him at 15.

Finfan5 said:

I'm not sure whether this is Texan smoke to try and create an interest or the interest is actually real. Every year the top team tries to sound out the league and see what the interest is. I think the Jets would like any of the top 4 - Cutler, Leinart, Bush or Ferguson. I'm not sure moving up would precipitate getting a BETTER player than they might get at 4, unless they are absolutely locked in on someone so much. They gave up a hell of a lot to get Dewayne Roberston a few years back and they have a lot of holes to be giving up picks. Yes they have a tradeable asset in John Abraham, but Mangini hasn't fallen far from the Pioli/Belichek tree. I just don't see him giving up a lot of picks.

Tennessee? They, to my mind are locked into Cutler. Vince Young is long gone from any top 5 equation. They may be nervous of a team going to one and taking Cutler and then St Louis taking Leinart or vice versa.

I dunno. I just think it's smoke at the moment. But it would throw the first round into freefall. And Keith, CK and I see the top 12 falling almost exactly the same way, so who knows.

Hey Boom CK answered this but I would love your take on Brett Elliott.

Boomer I was wondering what you think the chances are that one of these three players are there at pick 16, are we looking at them, and in what order do you rate them

Michael Huff
Jimmy Williams
and
Cromartie

Back
Top Bottom