MERGED: Breaking News: Ricky Williams Retires | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Breaking News: Ricky Williams Retires

We are done. I am a huge Dolphin fan and am just stunned by this whole situation. Personally, I fele shocked and p!ssed off at Ricky for this. Timing is an issue, I don't care what people say. Had he waited until after the season or announced his intentions early, Miami would have had a chance at a featured back on the market. So we gave up TWO first rounders for a guy who quit on us after two seasons on the eve of a third.

I am sorry, even if he is talked out of retirement, I will not root for him. He put all the fans and ESPECIALLY his teammates in a bad spot.

We just went from a playoff team to lastp lace boys. Be prepared for ridicule, and our first losing season in years.

Well I guess one thing thats good to come out of this is that if us Bills fans say the Dolphins suck we'll be right without question. Since u got Thurman from us for a while why not try for another Bills RB. He lives right there in south FLA. All u need to do is get him to drop the knife.

i'm not buying the last place thing, and i'm hoping a lot of this anger on the board subsides with time. "would have been better if he'd had a career ending injury???" what kind of nonsense is all this? part of what makes people want to get away from the limelight is the fact that they're not people to the masses, they're OBJECTS, and it's clear from this thread that ricky was just an object to many. yeah, the timing could have been better, but life deals you situations and you have to deal with them. and get this, it's not even real life we're talking about here (for us), it's football! i'm not gonna hate the guy for doing this, because it's his life; it's just my distraction. yeah, i shelled out money for jerseys and whatever, but the guys on the field are the ones who are going to live with some type of physical pain for the rest of their lives (yes, they're well-paid for it, but they pay a price). personally, i have enjoyed rooting for ricky and the team over the past two years. it's sorta like the shaq effect: when he's out there, you have a chance to beat anyone. that kind of hope is worth a lot, even if it's short-lived.

p.s. i may be insane, but i still think the team has a chance to win some games, and they have been out of the playoffs for two years...

DPlus47 said:
i'm not buying the last place thing, and i'm hoping a lot of this anger on the board subsides with time. "would have been better if he'd had a career ending injury???" what kind of nonsense is all this? part of what makes people want to get away from the limelight is the fact that they're not people to the masses, they're OBJECTS, and it's clear from this thread that ricky was just an object to many. yeah, the timing could have been better, but life deals you situations and you have to deal with them. and get this, it's not even real life we're talking about here (for us), it's football! i'm not gonna hate the guy for doing this, because it's his life; it's just my distraction. yeah, i shelled out money for jerseys and whatever, but the guys on the field are the ones who are going to live with some type of physical pain for the rest of their lives (yes, they're well-paid for it, but they pay a price). personally, i have enjoyed rooting for ricky and the team over the past two years. it's sorta like the shaq effect: when he's out there, you have a chance to beat anyone. that kind of hope is worth a lot, even if it's short-lived.

p.s. i may be insane, but i still think the team has a chance to win some games, and they have been out of the playoffs for two years...
Bro, gimme a break, okay?! If he's been thinking about it for a while, then he should've said something at the end of last year! Not a week before camp!! The team and all the fans have the right to be angry with him because he left them no options and now they are ROYALLY SCREWED!! This whole season and probably the next two are gonna be wasted just trying to get a replacement and whatever it's gonna cost us to get it!

I have to say I am sick at my stomach as well. But I can't sit here and say our season is done. We still have a great D and while there is still some ?s on offense we will contend this year. I really believe this is what the team needed to lite that spark deep down. They can no longer over look any team this year. They have to prepare mentally and physically for every game and I think they will do that. Yes we have lost an awesome player in Williams but there will still be 53 players that are in the NFL because they deserve to be.

Completely agree Shula - he is a selfish person - he let his team down...a week before training camp, he's only thinking of one person RICKY.

Of some solace, does the team really need a player that thinks this way, maybe this is the problem with this team - all talent - no team work

How 'bout Edgerrin James?

Listen..................make the Colts an offer. You gave up 2 #1's and swapped a 4th for Ricky................why not give the Colts next year's #1 and #3 along with Ogunleye.

I think Polian would listen............and you could make it conditional on getting Edge's signature on an extention, first (he'll be an UFA after the season, otherwise).

Do it, please ! Love Edge, but this may be doable, and let's face it, we'll win without him and strengthen our team at the same time !.............Now, is Ogunleye really that bad against the run ? That's our problem, too.:cry:

CanColt said:
Listen..................make the Colts an offer. You gave up 2 #1's and swapped a 4th for Ricky................why not give the Colts next year's #1 and #3 along with Ogunleye.

I think Polian would listen............and you could make it conditional on getting Edge's signature on an extention, first (he'll be an UFA after the season, otherwise).

Do it, please ! Love Edge, but this may be doable, and let's face it, we'll win without him and strengthen our team at the same time !.............Now, is Ogunleye really that bad against the run ? That's our problem, too.:cry:

That's insane. The edge has made it clear he is leaving Indy no matter what, plus your team could not afford O-Gun even if we did trade him to you guys. Because the Edge has made it clear he's leaving no matter what, if the Dolphins give more than a conditional 3rd round draft pick for the Edge would be a HUGE mistake on our part.

Oliver...

CanColt said:

That's one of the most ridiculous trade scenarios I've ever heard.

BringBackShula said:
Bro, gimme a break, okay?! If he's been thinking about it for a while, then he should've said something at the end of last year! Not a week before camp!! The team and all the fans have the right to be angry with him because he left them no options and now they are ROYALLY SCREWED!! This whole season and probably the next two are gonna be wasted just trying to get a replacement and whatever it's gonna cost us to get it!

i'm not telling anybody they don't have a right to be angry. all this nonsense about wishing injury or death on somebody is crazy, though. yeah, the team is kinda screwed. but ROYALLY SCREWED??? c'mon, this is football. it's not a sport where one guy has that much power. marino could have retired at 27 and would have won just as many super bowls. teams win championships, not individual players. i thought ricky might be the missing ingredient for this team, but maybe he wasn't.

three wasted seasons??? how many years does it take to find a replacement? so we're assuming that this ball-control, run-first team works??? our defense--in theory--should have thrived with such a team in place. didn't make the playoffs either year. maybe you don't need ricky williams in the backfield to win it all. maybe--as some have suggested--the team relied on ricky a little too much. maybe they stood around and watched him play. maybe all this team needs is another lamar smith.

we can all be as angry as we wanna be, but remember: how many times did this team make the playoffs with the "run-ricky-to-death" strategy? and how many superbowl rings does the barely-adequate antowain smith have? teams win championships, and a team can't afford to have a guy who isn't ready to be there 100%. no matter when he decides he isn't ready to be there.

CanColt said:

Why give up that much when we can sign him outright next year? We can use the extra money and re-sign O-gun, Chambers, extend Surtain and sign Edge next season. Edge already said he wants to come back to Miami ASAP. I would venture to say he already has his mind set up. I think he is a downgrade from Miami, but he is a heck of a lot better than what else is available.

From a Broncos fan, sorry to hear what went down and how it went down. This is one of the most selfish things I have seen in 45 years of watching the NFL. But he wants to smoke dope and go to Jamica. Good Luck with that. He knew and had told people he was leaning to quitting. That said what's done is done and the team can't go back to 2 weeks ago etc. There are still plenty of servicible runners out there and after camp many will be released. I went to a Broncos Fan Fair a month ago and couldn't count all the running backs we have. We lost Portis and now have Tatum Bell, Garrison Hearst, Mike Anderson, Quentin Griffith etc. Just have to buckle down and find someone. Good Luck.

This is how I feel, Ricky!!

I can't believe this... right before training camp when we have no other options... what a jerk!! But check this out!! A F-U Ricky T shirt!!!! HA!!!
http://www.colossoul.com/

I don't know why everyone is so shocked about this. I've always viewed the guy as a borderline-manic depressant..... the guy wears a tinted faceshield so nobody can see his face for crying out loud. He's obviously very uncomfortable with being in the public eye. I wish him the best of luck, but he could have done this in a better way so that us fans weren't left feeling so down. Bring back Bernie Parmalee!!!

Back
Top Bottom