Merged: Cold Pizza/Saban to bring in veteran QB | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Cold Pizza/Saban to bring in veteran QB

who are our options? Steve McNair? Brett Farve?

Becks7 said:
My guess is the veteran QB is Tim Couch

It's possible. There won't be many veteran QBs to choose from. May as well throw Couch in there as a possibility.

I know Saban got minimal support in COY voting, but I would not trade that little fella for any coach in the world. He is phenomenal

Trekbiz said:
In addition, Saban telling Gus this early in the offseason tells me that Saban already has "the guy" he wants in mind and that he's very confident in getting "that guy".

You don't burn a bridge before knowing how your going to get across the river.

If this story is true than you are 100% correct. There is no way Saban tells Gus he isn't the starter unless a) the guy is unquestionably starting material and b) he has secured the trade.

As far as young talent goes you are assuming that the Veteran QB isn't Brees or Carr, both of which still have alot of tread left on the tires. Plus we picked up Lemon to groom and while he may not be an immediate answer he is young and is probably is as good as anyone you could pick on the second day.

SCall13 said:
It's possible. There won't be many veteran QBs to choose from. May as well throw Couch in there as a possibility.

I just don't see Saban being comfortable enough in Couch to flat out tell Gus that he won't be the starter. If Couch came in there would still be a competition without a preconcieved winner for the job. Saban must have a more established signal caller in mind.

I just posted a question on a Chris Mortensen chat about this rumor. Hopefully, he'll address it.

No way would we dump Gus for Couch...thats absurd. If Nick told Gus he wont be starting then he has to be planning on bringing in someone pretty good. IMO it means someone like Carr, Brooks, Ramsey, or McNair. I think Brooks is the most likely scenario although I dont really like him.

Id like to wait and see how true this is and if it pans out. If so its definitely big news. Im sorry to hear gus would retire because id love to have him as a backup.

VManis said:
If this story is true than you are 100% correct. There is no way Saban tells Gus he isn't the starter unless a) the guy is unquestionably starting material and b) he has secured the trade.

As far as young talent goes you are assuming that the Veteran QB isn't Brees or Carr, both of which still have alot of tread left on the tires. Plus we picked up Lemon to groom and while he may not be an immediate answer he is young and is probably is as good as anyone you could pick on the second day.

That's a big if too!
I never trust media.

I agree with your Young or Carr comment.
If one of those 2 were the vet brought in then the Phins could definitely wait to draft a QB in future years.

here are the FA QBs

Anthony Wright UFA Ravens
Charlie Batch UFA Steelers
Chris Simms RFA Buccaneers
Chris Weinke UFA Panthers
Craig Nall UFA Packers
Damon Huard UFA Chiefs
Dave Ragone RFA Texans
Doug Flutie UFA Patriots
Drew Brees UFA Chargers
Jamie Martin UFA Rams
Jeff Blake UFA Bears
Jeff Garcia UFA Lions
Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers
Jon Kitna UFA Bengals
Josh McCown UFA Cardinals
Ken Dorsey RFA 49ers
Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets
Kurt Warner UFA Cardinals
Sage Rosenfels UFA Dolphins
Seneca Wallace RFA Seahawks
Shane Matthews UFA Bills
Shaun Hill UFA Vikings
Tim Hasselbeck UFA Giants
Todd Collins UFA Chiefs
Ty Detmer UFA Falcons
Vinny Testaverde UFA Jets

Flutie and Testaverde will both retire so that leaves slim pickings, my guess is Tim Couch or Kurt Warner will be our QB next year if not Chris Simms

Trekbiz said:
In addition, Saban telling Gus this early in the offseason tells me that Saban already has "the guy" he wants in mind and that he's very confident in getting "that guy".

You don't burn a bridge before knowing how your going to get across the river.

I agree

I guess Saban did this while interviewing QBs at the Senior Bowl... :rolleyes:
I'll wait for something more definitive, cold pizza is cold pizza for a reason. Usually a bunch of BS, but if it's true I'm cool with it.

SuperDuperFan said:
No way would we dump Gus for Couch...thats absurd. If Nick told Gus he wont be starting then he has to be planning on bringing in someone pretty good. IMO it means someone like Carr, Brooks, Ramsey, or McNair. I think Brooks is the most likely scenario although I dont really like him.

Id like to wait and see how true this is and if it pans out. If so its definitely big news. Im sorry to hear gus would retire because id love to have him as a backup.
Brooks? I hear nothing but bad about him.

I heard that Marino was coming back.... lol but nah really, is everybody really suprised by this? Cause Im not.... I can put up with Carr or McNair but Ramsey, just another Fiedler or Feeley... Brooks, cmon now, no....

Trekbiz said:
I just don't see Saban being comfortable enough in Couch to flat out tell Gus that he won't be the starter. If Couch came in there would still be a competition without a preconcieved winner for the job. Saban must have a more established signal caller in mind.

Agreed......that would be so un saban like. I'll wait and see.

Trekbiz said:

This is strange news to me.

There are not really any FA QBs out there that can step in and be better than Gus. Jon Kitna seems to be the best in this years group. Chris Sims is a FA but Tampa is sure to resign him.

Bringing in any of these guys to replace Gus isnt really an upgrade. So either he knows hes going to trade for someone, or he knows someone is going to be released.

Back
Top Bottom