Merged: Cold Pizza/Saban to bring in veteran QB | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Cold Pizza/Saban to bring in veteran QB

nick1 said:
here are the FA QBs

Anthony Wright UFA Ravens
Charlie Batch UFA Steelers
Chris Simms RFA Buccaneers
Chris Weinke UFA Panthers
Craig Nall UFA Packers
Damon Huard UFA Chiefs
Dave Ragone RFA Texans
Doug Flutie UFA Patriots
Drew Brees UFA Chargers
Jamie Martin UFA Rams
Jeff Blake UFA Bears
Jeff Garcia UFA Lions
Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers
Jon Kitna UFA Bengals
Josh McCown UFA Cardinals
Ken Dorsey RFA 49ers
Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets
Kurt Warner UFA Cardinals
Sage Rosenfels UFA Dolphins
Seneca Wallace RFA Seahawks
Shane Matthews UFA Bills
Shaun Hill UFA Vikings
Tim Hasselbeck UFA Giants
Todd Collins UFA Chiefs
Ty Detmer UFA Falcons
Vinny Testaverde UFA Jets

Flutie and Testaverde will both retire so that leaves slim pickings, my guess is Tim Couch or Kurt Warner will be our QB next year if not Chris Simms

That list is the main reason I doubt this report.
Again, I don't see any CLEAR upgrade over Gus on there.
Maybe McCown but he's almost as much a wild card as a draft pick. No one knows if he really has the mental capacity to excel in the NFL.

Brooks? I hear nothing but bad about him.

He doesnt have football smarts. He makes a lot of mistakes but has lots of talent. Ive watched him play many times and he can be great, but he can also be downright awful at times. However, he is mobile and has a strong arm. I just think that if we brought in Brooks we would still keep Gus to at least challenge him and backup. I have to agree with the people who are saying that if this story is true we must have locked in on a pretty clear cut starter for us to cut ties with Gus.

here's a name for you. Tommy Maddox
:couch:

To me the reason it points to Couch is because they can sign him whenever. Telling your qb you are ditching him for somebody that you don't even know you will get is a bigger risk than having Couch replace him.

That list is the main reason I doubt this report.
Again, I don't see any CLEAR upgrade over Gus on there.
Maybe McCown but he's almost as much a wild card as a draft pick. No one knows if he really has the mental capacity to excel in the NFL.

I agree.
I would actually LOVE to see McCown here though. Im not sure it would happen though.

I could live with Couch but I'm not all that convinced that he would be much of an improvement over Gus. I don't see us landing Culpepper and I really am not sold on Brooks.

My guess is Ramsey will come in and serve for a year or two if he becomes available.

I will believe it when I see it, Saban is very tight lipped, I doubt he would tip his hat this early.

To me the reason it points to Couch is because they can sign him whenever. Telling your qb you are ditching him for somebody that you don't even know you will get is a bigger risk than having Couch replace him.

Dude couch has been out of the NFL and hasnt played. And when he did play he wasnt even that great. You are saying that getting couch is less of a risk than ditching Gus for someone we dont know we will get, but I disagree. We can get Couch or someone like him at any time.....and theres no way we would just hand couch the starting qb job

My point is you can't tell your starting qb you are going with another guy when you don't HAVE another guy. I never said Couch was or wasn't an upgrade I am simply saying if you tell your starter you are going in a different direction and that causes him to leave you better have a pretty secure fallback plan.

If true you would have to think that Saban has a line on a FA QB already.Obviously that leaves Culpepper out because he probably wont to ready to start the season.

Thats a very confident step to take.Gus was the starter last year and you would think the logical thing to do is to tell him that there will be an open competition for the job.

My point is you can't tell your starting qb you are going with another guy when you don't HAVE another guy. I never said Couch was or wasn't an upgrade I am simply saying if you tell your starter you are going in a different direction and that causes him to leave you better have a pretty secure fallback plan.

Yes I agree with this point. Im just saying by no means is Couch a safe fallback option. I thinks its a possibility he would be a good addition, but not a safe bet so much so that you would let gus go. If this story is true then we probably are about to sign or trade for someone thats a clear cut starter....and that isnt couch.

The Fins need a QB, the Chargers need to get rid of one.

Lets trade for Rivers and call it a day..:cool:

Since the media is hyping Cutler way out of our range- and we have nothing of value to trade up with- this could be the best option for us.

I guess you could call Rivers a "veteren." Next year will be his 3rd year and hes had 2 years of pro practice.

Mularkey probably has scouted him somewhat because this was the guy the Steelers targeted in the draft that year and instead got Roethlisberger.

Back
Top Bottom