MERGED-Dolphins hoping to name new coach by the weekend | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED-Dolphins hoping to name new coach by the weekend

Good analysis, I certainly cannot fault you there. However, unless Cameron decides to mirco-manage the offense (in addition to his many, many duties as a head coach), we won't necessarily be well-coached on both sides of the ball. He will run the team as a whole, and may not be able to give the offense the intense focus it needs from him.

One thing to think about before getting too giddy about a "offensive mastermind" like Cam Cameron as the HC. His arrival may mean jack for the Fish offense. Marvin Lewis, Tony Dungy and Brian Billick are examples of HCs that didn't benefit their teams' much from their specialities.

Very true. Defensive Coordinators have been much more successful at building great defenses as head coaches than Offensive Coordinators have been at doing likewise.

Cameron is not a sure thing. Not at all. But the two biggest knocks against him have been his record at Indiana, and the fact that LT would basically make any OC look good.

But I'll tell you this much. If the Fins hire (or have hired) Cameron, we should expect Ronnie Brown (or Ronnie/Ricky) to get at least 300 carries.

We should expect Culpepper to go to the Pro Bowl.

We should expect the Fins to draft LT Levi Brown in the 1st round, and a QB in the 2nd round.

And we should expect to average 21 points a game.

Hmmm...but if they hire a coach what will we have to talk about?

we can argue about who we are going to draft and decide if ricky will play 3 or 4 games before he flunks another drug test:sidelol:

I remember him and also that Rose Bowl game they played in. The QB as I recall was a guy named Harry Gonso and his #1 receiver was Jade Butcher.

Here is an interesting little extra piece of trivia, another well known Indiana U alum was none other than Lou Saban, Nick's cousin. :eek:

There has only been one Indiana player selected in the 1st round of the NFL draft. Ever. The NY Jets drafted DT Carl Barzilawskas with 6th overall pick in 1974.

The next highest was Antwaan Randle El. The Steelers drafted him in the 2nd round in 2002.

The next highest was WR Courtney Roby. Roby had a stellar career at Indiana and was drafted by the Titans in the 3rd round in 2005. He was recruited by Cam Cameron.

F.Y.I. Courtney Roby is former Dolphins punter Reggie Roby's cousin.

Another of Cameron's recruits, FB Jeremi Johnson, was drafted by the the Bengals (4th round) in 2003. Another of Cameron's recruits, QB Gibran Hamdan, was drafted by the the Redskins (7th round) in 2005. And another of Cameron's recruits, OG Isaac Sowells, was drafted by the the Browns (4th round) in 2006. And yet another of Cameron's recruits, DE Victor Adeyanju, was drafted by the Rams (4th round) in 2006. This is a big deal when you consider how few Indiana players have ever been drafted in the school's history.

Kris Dielman, another one of Cameron's Indiana recruits, went undrafted in 2003, but is currently the starting RG for the Chargers. And another one of Cameron's Indiana recruits, DE Kemp Rasmussen went undrafted in 2002, but is currently playing for the Seahawks. (IR for the 2006 season.) And, of course, we're all familiar with Adewale Ogunleye.

Cameron's best year at Indiana was his fifth and last year. It was also the year he was finally coaching all his recruits and only his recruits. Kinda makes you wonder how he would have done if he could have coached for Indiana just a couple more years.

The guy who took over for Cameron at Indiana, Gerry DiNardo, went 8-27, a winning percentage of .229 with 6 future NFL players on his roster.

So let me ask you this... If Cam Cameron was such a failure at Indiana, then why is he responsible for more Indiana players in the NFL than other IU coach in history?

HC:Cam Cameron
OC:Mike Shula
DC:Dom Capers
GM:Randy Mueller
I think that would be the most interesting situation. Does anyone with a real familiarity of Cam and Little Shula's offenses know how they'd be able to coexist?

Want more evidence that Indiana is the black hole of college football? Let's look at some of their other coaches "winning" percentages...

Bob Hicks 1-8 pct.111
Gerry DiNardo 8-27 pct.229
Clyde Smith 8-27-1 pct.236
Sam Wyche 3-8 pct.272
Bernie Crimmins 13-32 pct.289
Lee Corso 41-68-2 pct.375
John Pont 31-51-1 pct.379
Bill Mallory 69-77-3 pct.473 and he was their best coach in recent history.

All LOSING records. Amazing.

In fact, of Indiana's 20 head coaches (in the 1900s), only 4 of them had winning records. Suddenly, Cam Cameron's record at Indiana doesn't look so horrible.

No word of a promise whatsoever, yet the title of the article is the Fins promise a hire by Saturday. Only PFT.

the pinnacle of his profession exactly which super bowl did mora win? not saying i dont agree and im not saying that i know more about picking coaches than tyhe guys who get paid millons to do but mora has not reached the pinnacle of his profession

He was a HC in the NFL. Translation : he's beyond coaching in high school and college. The NFL IS the pinnacle of the coaching profession. I guess in your book Bud Grant and Marv Levy are losers too because they never won a SB. :shakeno:

Georgia Tech was never anything special either. If this sexy pick cameron fails in two years I hope all of you have the testicular fortitude to admit you were all wrong. If he is the next big thing I'll be more than happy to admit my skepticism was misplaced.

So true

no offense, but its getting pretty ridculous how they're approximately a thousand threads on 3 topics.

No one seems willing to look through existing threads before posting their own, either that or they just like having their own thread to see what responses they get. Some people just want their name in "print" I guess. Drives me crazy, mods must spend half their time merging threads.

People, look around before starting a new thread please. And before you do, please consider posting in one of the hundreds of threads already started about the topic you're thinking of starting a thread about. Mods should consider limiting the number of new threads we can each start per month, maybe that would help.

Maybe we should all give any new thread about a topic already over-threaded just one star. People might stop starting so many new threads if their threads get poor ratings for this reason, good topic or not.

I hope you're right. The more I look into his years at Indiana, the more convinced I am that we shouldn't hold his tenure as HC there against him.

Guess how many players from Indiana were drafted in the 1st round since 1974... NONE. Antwaan Randle El was drafted in the 2nd round and Adewale Ogunleye went undrafted. Other than those two, I can count the number of players from Indiana currently playing in the NFL on my hands. And most of them were recruited by Cam Cameron when he was head coach at Indiana.

The lack of talent on Cameron's Indiana team was astonishing...

Jay Rogers was the other QB who started for Cameron in Indiana. Ever heard of him? No? Me either.

What about his RBs at Indiana: De'Wayne Hogan and Levron Williams. Never heard of them either. Although Williams had impressive stats while at IU. In fact, he made the Chargers roster in 2002, but never played a down.

And his WRs: O.J. Conner, Chris Gall, Trevor Browning, Versie Gaddis, Jerry Dorsey, Glenn Johnson and Henry Frazier? These are NOT household names.

Sam Wyche (remember him?) went 3-8 as head coach of Indiana in 1983.

The thing to keep in mind is that every coach who has ever coached at Indiana has a losing record. Every coach. Even their most successful coach, Bill Mallory, went 0-11 his first year. At least Cameron never got blanked for the entire season.

So whenever anybody brings up Cameron's record at Indiana, just ask them how it compares to other IU coaches. Now, if Cameron had been the HC at Notre Dame, Florida State, or USC, that would be another matter entirely.

But Indiana? Give me a break.

Expecting Cameron to have a winning record at Indiana, is like expecting a coach to have a winning record coaching Vanderbilt, in the SEC.

Listen to legendary Gil Brant on Cam Cameron:

"I think he's outstanding," said Gil Brandt, the former Cowboys executive who introduced Cameron to Landry. "You're not around Schembechler and Knight and not have some of that rub off on you.
"I think he's tough and fair but very bright. ...
"Tom was very impressed by Cam. Most guys came for a suntan. Cam was up early, taking notes all the time. Tom really liked him."
After Cameron was fired by Indiana, Brandt said Cameron was close to accepting an assistant's job at Oklahoma State. But Brandt told Cameron he was too good to be a college assistant.
Brandt recommended him to Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer.
"Marty has told me three or four times, 'Thank you, thank you, thank you. This guy is really special,' " Brandt said. "That's what he is, really special."

No word of a promise whatsoever, yet the title of the article is the Fins promise a hire by Saturday. Only PFT.
Iwas thinking the same. The only promise they can give is if we dont have a coach by saturday, then somewhere between saturday and the 2007 season we will have one.

Want more evidence that Indiana is the black hole of college football? Let's look at some of their other coaches "winning" percentages...

Bob Hicks 1-8 pct.111
Gerry DiNardo 8-27 pct.229
Clyde Smith 8-27-1 pct.236
Sam Wyche 3-8 pct.272
Bernie Crimmins 13-32 pct.289
Lee Corso 41-68-2 pct.375
John Pont 31-51-1 pct.379
Bill Mallory 69-77-3 pct.473 and he was their best coach in recent history.

All LOSING records. Amazing.

In fact, of Indiana's 20 head coaches (in the 1900s), only 4 of them had winning records. Suddenly, Cam Cameron's record at Indiana doesn't look so horrible.
yes, yes it does:D

Let's just put it this way, Cameron stayed in town last night for a reason. If he's not named the new head coach sometime today, I would start speculating, and possibly assuming that there are problems within the context of the contract being offered. Regardless, I have still have a very strong feeling Cameron will be our next head coach....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Back
Top Bottom