MERGED: Dolphins Sign Brent Grimes | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Dolphins Sign Brent Grimes

We have just upgraded our CB position.

We probably have one more FA signing before the draft. We need a LT or DE.

Now we need to draft a starting S. I hope its ELAM. Imagine Rashad Jones and ELAM policing the secondary. Could be the best safety duo since Jake Scott and Dick Anderson. Our Pass defense issues is almost solved.

We have just upgraded our CB position.

We probably have one more FA signing before the draft. We need a LT or DE.

Now we need to draft a starting S. I hope its ELAM. Imagine Rashad Jones and ELAM policing the secondary. Could be the best safety duo since Jake Scott and Dick Anderson. Our Pass defense issues is almost solved.

Still need another pass rusher opposite wake. I'm slightly moving over to the take carradine instead of Austin at 12 side.

Was at the gym, when I seen it come across the tv.. Couldn't wait to get home and share the excitement with you all!!

Yet the media dinks, and probably yourself, will sing TB's praises if they trade a first, second and more for another QB, this one a me-first diva with a history of holding his team up for ransom, signing him for more than twice what Grimes will be making, and coincidentally also coming off an ACL injury, eh?

Only in that parallel dimension you call your mind. Got anymore superlatives for me? You know, when you want to attack people at least try to use something they said, not something you made up to try earn more comedic points.

I've not said one word about Revis and nor would I ever applaud any move for the guy at this stage. Anyone acquiring him is getting him on the fall, not the rise. By the way, Grimes tore his achilles not his ACL.

Last edited by a moderator:
This signing has the makings of being ingenious!!! BUT, to be fair, Grimes needs to be able to play at the skill level pre-injury, in order for this to be an over the top F/A success. I think we can all agree on that. IF Grimes can somehow return to near form and still is able to make plays almost like before, it's still a big win for Miami. I'm curious to see what the pick will be @ #12 with Grimes in the fold. A lot of the folks over at NFLN seem to think Rhodes, Trufant, Elam, Cyprien and now Reid are all late 1st round picks. Mayock actually believes Starting with STL, at #25 is where all the DB action is going to take place. I just hope the Dolphins aren't left standing at the CB alter come #42 and #54, especially IF Grimes re-injures himself. But over all Grimes is a potential steal and am hopeful he can come back healthy and earn a long term contract here in Miami.

Valid Points.

Compared to the general population, athletes in the National Football League (NFL) are at increased risk for injury because the game involves explosive acceleration and sudden changes in direction.3 Very little is known about the epidemiology of Achilles tendon ruptures in the NFL. Utilizing data publicly available on the Internet, one retrospective review identified 31 Achilles tendon ruptures in NFL players over a five-year period (5.2 injuries/year).3 During the 2008-2009 NFL season, six players suffered season-ending Achilles tendon ruptures. Although the incidence of Achilles rupture is low, 0.93% per NFL game, nearly 36% of affected players never return to playing at the NFL level.3

Parekh et al used a player’s power rating as a measure of functional outcome in the evaluation of “skill players” in the NFL, which included defensive tackles, cornerbacks, linebackers, wide receivers, and running backs.3 The power rating is a measure of a player’s performance using statistics gathered during game play, such as passing and rushing yards for an offensive player and tackles and interceptions for a defensive player. This study showed that 31 acute Achilles tendon ruptures occurred in NFL players between 1997 and 2002. The average age of a player sustaining a rupture was 29, with an average career before injury spanning six years.

Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury.

The percentage of players returning to play at the NFL level is consistent with a meta-analysis performed by Bhandari4 in 2002. The authors reported return to function rates of 63% for patients treated nonoperatively and 71% for those treated operatively. If we assume that all the NFL players were treated operatively, as would be the standard for young athletes, the return to play rate of 64% is slightly lower than the 71% reported in the meta-analysis. This difference could be attributed to the excessive demands placed on the operatively repaired Achilles tendon in NFL players combined with a body size, strength, and explosiveness that would further increase these demands.

The length of time to allow full activity after Achilles tendon repair is generally thought to be four to six months.4-6 The 11 months needed to return to play as a professional football player seems considerably longer. However, there is a major difference between allowing full activity and returning to play in the NFL. Even when the typical patient is allowed to participate in full activity, it does not mean that he or she is adequately rehabilitated to perform at maximal efforts. Studies to determine maximal improvement after surgical treatment are lacking in the orthopedic literature.

Furthermore, in the reviewed 21 NFL skill players who returned to play, there were significant decreases in games played per season (11.67 games per year pre-injury versus 6.17 games per year postinjury) when averaged over the three seasons before the injury and the three seasons after the injury.3 There were also decreases averaging nearly 50% in power ratings of the returning players for the three seasons after the injury compared to the three seasons before the injury. These data indicate that even in players able to return to their former level of play, the quality of play may suffer permanently.

http://lowerextremityreview.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

Thank you for this logical post.

Plenty of good CBs left even after late 1st round run: Slay, Hayden, Poyer

This could be the year I finally see my beloving Dolphins win a playoff game :)

Nice one year signing....not too much risk here....even on a gimpy leg he would be better than Sean Smith....but hopefully he is close to 100%....I also think we can wait until round two to pick up a CB. Go get Tavon Austin now at #12....or LT Lane Johnson.

Great move. I love it. We now have a talented CB coming off an injury with something to prove in a contract year! Let's hope he does well, but you can probably bet he won't be here for 2 years.

Might not have to be, Miami is going to be just as aggressive in the draft, and Miami will be coming out with two corners out of the draft (Probably one early, one late), and if he leaves next year (Asks for too much), Miami will probably go corner again in FA and draft. Great pickup no matter what happens next year.

This is a move even I can agree with. If Grimes recovers fully from his injury, he is one of the best corners in the league and is a "playmaker." He will make all the Davis and Smith lovers completely forget them now that we have a real corner.

On the other hand, this is an Ireland move, so he probably is still hurt and this will fail...

Im curious if we still aim for CB with our 1st now...seems to be Rhodes as the common favorite as of late for our pick @ 12.

Doubt Miami goes corner in the 1st (unless a certain corner from Bama falls miraculously), but one of the 2nds will be a corner.

Back
Top Bottom