Merged: Football Hero Killed In Afghanistan | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Football Hero Killed In Afghanistan

Samphin said:
This is truly a sad story. I logged on to my computer and this hit me like a sock to the stomach. I hate hearing about soldiers who die, but when you know a little more about them, like we did with Tillman, it seems to sting a little more. Sometimes we seem to forget that we have troops fighting for their lives so we can continue with ours as well as in Iraq. I know sometimes I have overlooked the troops there. Hopefully, this serves as a reminder to support our troops through thick and thin and wish for a speedy return home. :patriot:

Nicely put Samphin.

Many athletes should look at the sacrifices that Pat Tillman gave up for their freedoms.

Eli Manning is pissing and moaning about not wanting to play for San Diego. Many of my shipmates would be thrilled to have an opportunity to play any professional sport. He is going to make millions for playing a game - I understand that it is a job to him - but is still a game!

BigFinFan said:
SkapePhin - I do agree that many have joined for the "Education Benefits" that you mentioned. It is a great opportunity for many. However, I also believe that some joined after 9-11 for the "Patriotism" that they felt - not fully understanding what they had gotten themselves into.

I joined the Navy in 1988. I did not join for the education benefits; I turned down a Scholarship to U of F to join the Navy. I joined because I wanted to follow in the footsteps of my grandfathers (one stormed the beaches at Normandy, and the other was at Pearl Harbor on December 7th), and my older brother who had joined the USAF in 1981. My older brother was accepted into the Army in 1992 to fly Blackhawk Helicopters. He is currently in Tikrit flying Med-Evac and Rescue Missions. We both participated in Operation Desert Shield/Storm and Operation Enduring Freedom, I returned home in March 2002, and I am preparing to go back again.

I love what I do and I love knowing that what I do makes a difference for my family and for all Americans. I am sure that Pat Tillman felt the same!

Well said, I hope you come back safely following your next tour of duty.

dodge said:
a strong reminder of what a REAL hero is. not some guy who throws for 400 yds, runs for 150yds, makes 12 tackles or comes up with a game clinching turnover. cause win or lose they go home at the end of the day and get ready for next week. it is our history of men like this that give their lives to defend ours and give us the freedom so that we can sit at computers and debate draft choices, among other things. God bless his soul and comfort those who miss him.
Great post. I've said this before, football is so minor compared to something like this.

Ozzy rules!!

this is really sad, and my heart bleeds because of it. May he RIP and I hope our country can get out of this without futher blood shed. May the people of Iraq rest and become a part of the world in peace.

Pat Tillman dying has just left the most awful, uneasy feeling in me all day... like something gnawing at me from inside. to walk away from what he had earned to serve America, and do what he thought was right, and get killed for it. i have an overwhelming feeling of guilt for the things in my life that i whine about on a day to day basis. the man IS (not was) a hero... may God bless him and comfort his family and friends. and thank God for all the blessings in my life.

Everybody can thank President Bush for this...

I remember reading about him a year or so ago... and how him and his brother both gave up careers in football to fight in the middle-east.

A lot of people refer to sports players, musicians, etc. as heroes, but I don't think they are. Pat Tillman, on the other hand, is a hero. He served his country even though he could have made millions playing football. He will be missed.

I got this from another board and thought that you guys might want to participate. It only takes a minute to sign and I'd say that we as Americans, owe him this at the very least.

Thanks

JS

"Guys,

I made this simple petition so that we can do our part to make sure the NFL recognizes Pat Tillman during this upcoming season. Please sign and spread the word:

http://www.petitiononline.com/PAT_NFL/petition.html

Last edited by a moderator:
R.I.P. man... i still dont fu*cking get him going to fight over there... the guy should have played football... What If...?

I still think that all the teams should retire his number. What he did was for the good of the entire country. That's big. His sacrifice should ALWAYS be remembered. It's hard to put into words the true meaning of his sacrafice and courage. I say everyone write a letter to the NFL and request that his number be retired by the Cardinals and by every other team in the NFL. When a child 30 or 40 years from now asks who that number belongs to and when he played for the team, Tillman's story should be told.

Very, very sad news. I actually got the chills when I first found out. Very, very sad news indeed.l

Back
Top Bottom