Merged: Hey Boomer / Boomer on Day 1 | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Hey Boomer / Boomer on Day 1

But what if Quinn turns out to be an All Pro and Beck and Ginn are solid Pro Bowlers?

That would totally validate what Miami did.

The bottom of bottom lines is that Miami spent MONTHS and MONTHS on this. They had a coach - Terry Shea - spend months with Quinn, they worked him out, they met him, they watched every game he's ever played, they did the same with Beck, they worked him out twice, they interviewed them for hours, etc. and they made the decision based on what they knew.

I think they deserve more than the benefit of the doubt.

Exactly, even the most ardent of filmwatchers would have to defer to Cam and Randy on this due to the "Terry Shea" factor, if nothing else.

No. Kalil really didn't fit our scheme. You have to wonder how well Kalil can anchor. And whilst someone said that Kalil would add 20lbs, you’d have to question the wisdom in that. First of all, adding weight is no guarantee of increasing anchorage. And it takes Kalil away from what he does best; explosion and short area quickness. And when you talk about him body wise, he's probably maxed out, so adding weight really isn't an option. Satele is much better suited to what we do and his versatility - LG, RG, C - made him much more likely.

I think the interesting thing is that Cameron really hasn't addressed what he's going to do when Alabi returns and whether the move of Shelton specifically is simply a move to alleviate some issues caused by Anthony's surgery, or whether it's more long term. The plan clearly is to move the bigger guys outside - I think they want Toledo to play tackle - and have quicker, smaller guys on the interior.

Right school, wrong player!!

;)

Thanks for the reply! :) Your insight is always appreciated!

Perhaps this will happen, perhaps it won't. Personally, I thought QB, OT and DE were the biggest needs so hopefully the picks (and their plan to shift Carey to LT and rotate their RG to RT) turn out as good as they hoped they would.

and maybe they won't... but that IMO doesn't have much to do with qb, ot and de. None of the qb's were worthy of a number nine, and neither were any OT's... can't recall the DE's so have at that one... the O-line is STILL my biggest concern, and I have a terrible feeling we will generally stink for half the season again, but Ginn makes blitzes riskier and anything that helps "them" is welcome..

and maybe they won't... but that IMO doesn't have much to do with qb, ot and de. None of the qb's were worthy of a number nine, and neither were any OT's... can't recall the DE's so have at that one... the O-line is STILL my biggest concern, and I have a terrible feeling we will generally stink for half the season again, but Ginn makes blitzes riskier and anything that helps "them" is welcome..

Which begs the questions, how good is Alabi? Can Carey really play LT? Are we better off with Shelton as a solid RG rather than moving him to RT? Is Hadnot good enough of a center? Good enough of a guard? Should Satele play center or guard? Mormino? RE: Alabi, size and arm length only count for so much. He's got to show something on the field once his knee heals up. Toledo, too- once he gets healthy he'd better put out. Actually, if just one of those two guys produced, I could live with that. Toledo back at tackle- I like that. Someone will have to step up if Shelton craps out at tackle again, this time RT of course.

p.s. All of this Ginn talk- it's his synergistic effect that I'm most interested in. Taking pressure off of Ronnie Brown and Chambers/Booker/Hagan by drawing double coverage and/or keeping the safeties out of the box. Helping the defense by getting us great field positions on returns, maybe scoring a few. Whether or not he's a true #1 receiver- maybe that's secondary to giving everyone else some breathing room and his ability to make so many other people on the team more productive. If Ginn ends up having great stats, that's wonderful. Maybe, however, his true value won't be measured in numbers alone.

Spot on. I'm amazed how many people on this board fail to take this into consideration.

I agree with you that the OT's probably weren't worthy of a #9 pick, but there were plenty of value in guys Doug Free, Tony Ugoh, Allen Barbre, etc. that could of all probably started at tackle for us. OT is still a big problem for the Phins and if CP, TG, CL or JB are running for their life and getting blindsided time and again, Ginn, Chambers and Booker will not have productive years AGAIN.

I agree with you that the OT's probably weren't worthy of a #9 pick, but there were plenty of value in guys Doug Free, Tony Ugoh, Allen Barbre, etc. that could of all probably started at tackle for us. OT is still a big problem for the Phins and if CP, TG, CL or JB are running for their life and getting blindsided time and again, Ginn, Chambers and Booker will not have productive years AGAIN.

We werent passing on Beck for Ugoh, and as for Free, I think im happier with Soliai. Guy might be an absolute beast and steal at that spot.
Cant speak for babre though.

Obviously our staff thinks we have a good LT on the roster, who it is, I dont know. Carey, toledo, alabi, someone else. Obviously they have a plan of some sort. Biggest question with Alabi and toledo however seem to be their inability to stay healthy.

We werent passing on Beck for Ugoh, and as for Free, I think im happier with Soliai. Guy might be an absolute beast and steal at that spot.
Cant speak for babre though.

Obviously our staff thinks we have a good LT on the roster, who it is, I dont know. Carey, toledo, alabi, someone else. Obviously they have a plan of some sort. Biggest question with Alabi and toledo however seem to be their inability to stay healthy.

alabi has been healthy just cany crack lineup

Exactly, even the most ardent of filmwatchers would have to defer to Cam and Randy on this due to the "Terry Shea" factor, if nothing else.

Shea may have much less to do this than people assume. I'm sure Norm Chow thought Leinhart was a great Qb but Tenn took Young. Not sure if the QB coach had the overridng opinion. Ginn was more of a Cam and Mueller choice. I'm sure Shea thought Quinn was better than Beck but could not show that he was worth more than Ginn to the braintrust.

Shea may have much less to do this than people assume. I'm sure Norm Chow thought Leinhart was a great Qb but Tenn took Young. Not sure if the QB coach had the overridng opinion. Ginn was more of a Cam and Mueller choice. I'm sure Shea thought Quinn was better than Beck but could not show that he was worth more than Ginn to the braintrust.

Your sure Norm Chow thought more of Leinart than Vince Young?

Please give me your source.

My point was, Shea had just spent significant time trying to prepare Quinn for the draft, if he was totally enamored with him, thought he was a can't miss elite franchise QB, I'm quite sure he would have been our selection at #9, we are not the only QB needy team that passed on Brady Quinn.

Something really cooled Mueller and Cameron on Brady Quinn, they had no plans to draft him coming into this draft, it is only conjecture to hypothecize that Shea tilted the scale away from Brady Quinn, but it is logical to wonder, with his first hand knowledge and intimacy with Brady Quinn, why we were so down on him.

...and yet a "healthy" Alabi just had surgery to remove debris from his knee.

I think that the point is that Alabi, going into year three, hasn't done much when healthy and this knee injury is very recent, and pre-dates his extended period of just being another backup.. I haven't been impressed with what little I've seen of him, but nonetheless some players and coaches have been talking him up, so he must have done something to impress in practice since 2005.

I think that the point is that Alabi, going into year three, hasn't done much when healthy and this knee injury is very recent, and pre-dates his extended period of just being another backup.. I haven't been impressed with what little I've seen of him, but nonetheless some players and coaches have been talking him up, so he must have done something to impress in practice since 2005.

When did he ever have a chance to do anything? As a 5th round pick he wasn't expected to start because we all knew he had to not only work on his techniques but get stronger as well. Being moved from the left side to the right side his rookie year didn't help. Neither did his ankle injury that slowed his progress. Last year we brought in LJ Shelton to be the starting LT and when that didn't work out, McIntosh reclaimed that spot because of his experience. Alabi did manage to play in some games last year so that's a plus because he was able to get some game experience.

Don't get me wrong because I'm not really a fan of his but I do think, if he gets healthy, he could compete with Shelton for the RT spot.

The Redskins had Ginn as their alternate pick if Landry was gone, Houston were set to take him at 10, St Louis similarly at 13 and Green Bay at 16, so I'm not sure what you mean by saying "nobody was talking about Ginn".

How in the world do you know this Boom? Do you have sources in draft room of each team?:shakeno: :sidelol:

When did he ever have a chance to do anything? As a 5th round pick he wasn't expected to start because we all knew he had to not only work on his techniques but get stronger as well. Being moved from the left side to the right side his rookie year didn't help. Neither did his ankle injury that slowed his progress. Last year we brought in LJ Shelton to be the starting LT and when that didn't work out, McIntosh reclaimed that spot because of his experience. Alabi did manage to play in some games last year so that's a plus because he was able to get some game experience.

Don't get me wrong because I'm not really a fan of his but I do think, if he gets healthy, he could compete with Shelton for the RT spot.

I've never seen Alabi play particularly well, in the pre-season or regular season. Hopefully he can step it up and challenge for a starting job. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and I read the local papers every day during TC and the regular season- I never read much in the way of buzz on Alabi re: his play. So in year three I think that he has a lot to prove in terms of his ability to play at a high level. He looks a little stiff to me, not a really good, fluid, pass protector. I hope that I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom