MERGED-Show Your Support for Brian Schottenheimer! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED-Show Your Support for Brian Schottenheimer!

My guess is Schott just doesn't really like using TE's in his offense much. That and we also needed to keep Baker in to help out a young, developing line. If Baker wasn't on the right side helping out a weak RT in Clements...he was on the left side helping a young, undersized D'Brick handle some the bigger DE's.
I mean, he DID see Antonio Gates and saw how much of an asset he is to confuse defenses. Not for 1 second am I putting Baker in his class, no way, but Baker wasn't used enough downfield considering Coles got the double teams while Cotchery thrived on the single-coverage. I doubt Schotty doesn't like using the TE, most West Coast Offenses have a good TE.

And Clement was pretty solid on the right side, could even be brought back for one more year while a RT is drafted to groom.

But back to the point...If Miami hires Schotty, it'd be a good hire.

Killer draft there, my apologies for that one.

But man have the jets had some bad ones, haha. Not that we're much better.

Vilma was a great pick though. Mind if i ask, what the hell happened to him this year? I noticed he seemed to be a lot lower in the tackles statistic then urlacher, thomas, and ryans and such. I expected him to make the pro bowl again?

The 3-4 happened. Mind you I'm not one of those who thinks Vilma should be traded because he doesn't fit the 3-4. He's just fine in it. But it's simply the system...he's not the only MLB out there making tackles now. That and he struggled at first learning the 3-4. Actually, add on top of that another reason being our weak defensive line. Kimo has got to go...period. And while I like DeWayne Robertson...he simply isn't big enough for a NT...and couldn't control the line of scrimmage. Hopefully we get a real NT somehow in the offseason...and move D Rob to DE...I think he can dominant in that role.

Killer draft there, my apologies for that one.

But man have the jets had some bad ones, haha. Not that we're much better.

Vilma was a great pick though. Mind if i ask, what the hell happened to him this year? I noticed he seemed to be a lot lower in the tackles statistic then urlacher, thomas, and ryans and such. I expected him to make the pro bowl again?
Oh the Jets drafts have been dismal to say the least, no denying that at all.

Vilma in his 1st two seasons was in a 4-3. Catching Defensive Rookie of the Year and a Pro-Bowl in 05' leading the league in tackles. He's obviously at his best when he can use his best asset, his speed, going sideline-to-sideline with two DT's to free him up.

In the 3-4 he couldn't do that. He pretty much had to sacrifice his biggest asset to aid career years for Bryan Thomas and Victor Hobson, which he is fine with. The Jets need a true NT to clog the middle while shifting DRob to the outside so Vilma won't constantly be getting gobbled up by offensive lineman.

It took the Jetys brain trust 3/4 of the season to figure out how to protect him. He's a lousy fit for their scheme. They may need to consider trading him at some point
His 1st year was clearly average to below average. But after 1 season in a new scheme nobody is ready to write him off. I mean, Donnie Edwards is smaller than Vilma and he has very good in the 3-4, the biggest key is Jamal Williams and the LB's he has around him. I've asked numerous questions, and the best came from Hall of Famer Carl Banks. Who said Vilma can succeed in the 3-4 with the right players around him, most notably moving DRob to end, kicking out Kimo Von Suckoften and finding a true NT who can clog the middle.

The idea of trading Vilma has been floated around. But with a full off-season of learning this system and the experience he got this season, he can only improve on the average season he had.

Wow i didn't even realize they switched to a 3-4. That explains a lot. He's good though, gonna be in the pro bowl for years to come once he figures it out.

If mangini trades him though, he'll be giving up one of the most talented linebackers he'll ever get his hands on again.

If mangini trades him though, he'll be giving up one of the most talented linebackers he'll ever get his hands on again.
It would be devastating honestly. You simply cannot trade a linebacker who is 25 and has only played 1 year in a brand new system that he has no familiarity with. It would be ludacris, let him get a full offseason and hopefully a true NT to help his play immensely.

I mean, he DID see Antonio Gates and saw how much of an asset he is to confuse defenses. Not for 1 second am I putting Baker in his class, no way, but Baker wasn't used enough downfield considering Coles got the double teams while Cotchery thrived on the single-coverage. I doubt Schotty doesn't like using the TE, most West Coast Offenses have a good TE.

And Clement was pretty solid on the right side, could even be brought back for one more year while a RT is drafted to groom.

But back to the point...If Miami hires Schotty, it'd be a good hire.

That's a fine point...but I wouldn't take it as proof that Brian likes TE's because he's from San Diego. His dad is also Marty Schottenheimer...but I don't see Brian running much of a "Marty Ball" offense.

Like I said...I think it has more to do with the Jets needing him to block than anything else. Because it seems whenever he goes out for passes he's killer. He's not fast...he's not agile...hell he isn't even athletic looking. But he has fantastic hands and just seems to find the soft spot in the coverage.

He did a fine job this year with 2 rookie o-linemen, a QB with no arm, no WR's to speak of, and awful running backs.

The guy is a good young coach. Gotta give him that

Dont count him out just yet.

Willis up in Buffalo had a nasty knee and he's been doing pretty O.K.

EDIT: Opps, meant to reply to the post about CPeps knee being busted and how he'll never be the same.

Dont count him out just yet.

Willis up in Buffalo had a nasty knee and he's been doing pretty O.K.

EDIT: Opps, meant to reply to the post about CPeps knee being busted and how he'll never be the same.

Willis also took his time coming back, and didn't have as bad of a tear as Daunte. Because Daunte rushed it, his knee is probably worse than it should be.

Yeah, gifted athleticism, experience, a track record of success--major flaws there. Schottenheimer would need a miracle to get Culpepper to produce. :rolleyes:

And how have you deduced that Culpepper is an idiot?
Likin' u more and more my friend. Especially due to your debunking red_rider... which is becoming rather easy. Not impressed with his thoughts.

Tell me "Caps". How does over 173 receptions, over 2000 yards, and 12 TDs constitute as "average WR's?" Please clue me in here, if you honestly think that Coles and Cotchery are "average" you are completely clueless. Coles has been a good receiver his whole career, even having a pro-bowl year in Washington, he's one of the toughest receivers in football and plays every week no matter what. Cotchery finally got a shot and flourished as a starter as he will get a well deserved contract this offseason.

But I digress, a Top 3 WR tandem in football for 2006 is "average".

I would love the link to where Mangini is "trying to get rid of Chad." And that's not sarcasm, I would like to see it. Now, the RB by committee argument I will buy, it clearly hindered the offense. The offensive line, under the surprise guidance of Tony Wise shocked me, with 2 rookies and a journeyman RT it was very surprising at how they played, Chad had good time this year in the pocket.

And lastly Chris Baker is solid, his blocking is very underrated, and a huge red-zone threat...300 yards and 4 TDs from a TE with his blocking i'll take.

Anyway, look, I agree that this would be a good hire for Miami, and hope he can stay one more year for Kellen Clemens' guidance, but average WR's?

If Coles and Cotchery are "average." What are Chambers and Booker?
Y'all, the Jets fan makes excellent arguments. Coles and Cotchery are superior to our WR's (especially Coles -vs- Chambers). They were clearly better than us across the board, as much as I hate them... he's right. Our D was better, but their position players took them to the playoffs. Coles is a true #1, CC isn't. Cotchery and Booker is a toss-up, IMHO.

To think that his knee will be permanently injured is beyond naive: it is ignorant.

How hard is it to understand that the arthroscopic surgery Culpepper underwent has fixed the problem? The guy isn't even walking with a limp anymore. He feels no pain when pushing off. Thanks to the process of rehabilitation, his knee is stronger now than it was when he injured it.

We know from his behavior this season that Culpepper is dedicated to the Dolphins, and dedicated to winning. He wanted to come here. He argued with Saban about being pulled. He attended every session of training camp, outdoing Harrington and Lemon for the starter spot along the way. He attended every team meeting (save for one, when he had the arthroscopic surgery.) He attended every game, dressed or not.

Culpepper is not an obstacle to be worked around. He certainly is not a problem.
Excellent. Nice job.

He's going to be 29 and his whole career he's been good and this past season another good season, but he's on the decline? Based on what? He's made explosive plays this year and finally was used downfield more often.

I agree that Cotchery is not top-flight, nobody is going there...But YOU said with what Schottenheimer did in 06, with "average" WR's was impressive. So based on the 1 year he did very good, a Top 3 WR core for 06' was "average?" I'm just trying to understand that. They complemented eachother well, and Schotty did a great job getting them the ball.

So in that thread 1 person's opinion vindicates your argument? He admitted he isn't a Coles fan, and it's not even the stats of 06', his whole career he has been good. He isn't great, isn't "average", just a good receiver.

Though Pennington is the favorite to win the job, would you really just hand the job to Chad after throwing 16 INTs? Hell, I hope Clemens has already grapsed this system and could possibly beat out Chad, not that I have a problem with Chad, but it's good that he kept this and every other position for open competition.

Never said dominating, but it was pretty good like you said. Considering Chad didn't get hurt with 3 new starters on the OLine, most notably the rookies, the line did very well.

That's the one sort of "regret" that the Jets offense didn't take more of an advantage with Baker. Not saying he is upper-echelon, he's solid, has good hands and is a good blocker, and a prime red-zone target. But he isn't fast and won't outjump you really, just a solid player, but more than "No TE to speak of."

Man, I love the Fins and beyond despise the Jets... but this dude is eatin' y'all and your arguments up so far! Please tell me 'Fin fans are smarter than this!!!

Y'all, the Jets fan makes excellent arguments. Coles and Cotchery are superior to our WR's (especially Coles -vs- Chambers). They were clearly better than us across the board, as much as I hate them... he's right. Our D was better, but their position players took them to the playoffs. Coles is a true #1, CC isn't. Cotchery and Booker is a toss-up, IMHO.
That's a fair statement. Although ironically I don't consider Coles as a "True #1." He has everything you want in a #1; He has great hands, takes the punishment over the middle, runs good routes, is good after the catch, and blocks!

Now IMO the "True #1's" are Game-Breakers. The Torry Holts, Chad Johnsons, Steve Smiths, Marvin Harrisons, Lee Evans, Javon Walkers. You could definitely argue the Andre Johnson, or Donald Driver.

I agree on the Cotch/Booker are pretty even, obviously Cotch has the upside, but both are good receivers.

Definitely agree that Hess should of consulted the fans before THAT hire:lol:What a joke.

The draft picks? What can you say? The Jets have been known to embarrass themselves on draft day, although the last several years have been surprising minus the Mike Nugent selection, despite Nugent making 2 straight FGs, a 54 and 51 yarder, and a game-winner, you NEVER draft a kicker on Day 1, much less the 47th overall pick:shakeno:.

But you gotta be honest...On that press conference by Huizenga, you gotta admit that you don't want your Owner asking the media/fans to send them suggestions about a head coach, whether it's good or bad...That kind of takes a knock on his intelligence and integrity to me.

Disagree here. It sends an incredibly positive message to the fans, media, and beyond, and shows his humility and desire to be a top team. Very intelligent. He has appeased us who bleed aqua and orange, and who believe our voice matters and makes a difference. It is NOT a knock on his intelligence and integrity, but instead a virtue of his humility and open-mindedness. I truly believe that if 90% of fans call to complain of a specific coach, WH won't hire him. If 90% of fans strongly support 1 guy, he will seriously consider him with extra consideration. He wants what is best for this team... I believe this.

Chad is a very smart QB and Pep is not

Schotty's brain would be wasted with Pep

What the hell does that mean? Do you have Culpepper's SAT scores? Maybe you administered his IQ test? No, no, I know. You sat down with him and engaged him in meaningfull conversation. After that you determined he couldn't string together multi-syllabic words to form complete sentences, and therefore he must be legally ******ed. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Give me a ****ing break.

Back
Top Bottom