[MERGED] Super Bowl VII to reair.... | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[MERGED] Super Bowl VII to reair....

One thing I love about the old game versus the modern is every time someone gets a chance to tackle you they try to lay you out. I hate when I see players ease up on a hit nowadays. Also the fundamentals of tackling are just perfect

I really don't buy into the notion that the old school guys were tougher. The largest guy on the field was probably 260 lbs. But more importantly the ball carriers, linebackers, and DBs were really all in the same range. Csonka was what, 235? So it was tough for a DB in the 190lb range to bring him down.

Here is the issue. Csonka's match up was on the middle linebacker. The 190lb DB really hasn't changed. He's still 190-200 lbs. He has to stay that size to run with receivers. Today's exception to the rule, today's Csonka is Brandon Jacobs at 265 lbs.

I get your point about tackling fundamentals. I think it WAS becoming a lost art. I think teams have gotten back into the fundamentals though. People forget that a large part of Madison and Surtains dismissal was due to the fact that they could not tackle. Our new team will be bigger. They may not be as fast or have the cover skills of Madison or Surtain but they will be able to tackle. Our problem this year? They could not cover and they could not tackle. We were screwed either way.

Another fun thing about watching a game like this is seeing that future head coaches in the game, either as assistant coaches or players in the game.

Dolphins:

Players – Little (college),
Coaches - Arnsparger, Clark, Schnellberger (sp)

Redskins:
Players - Pardee, Petibon, Wyche
Coaches – Levy, Marchbrowda (sp).

I don't notice (or remember) any others

Man o’ man. It's the end of the 3rd Quarter.

Folks, our beloved Dolphins are just 15 minutes away from becoming World Champions. It’s been a great day coming. Pinch me, I'm dreaming. Oh what, this game I’m watching was from 1973? And we already have 2 trophies? Damn! Well, we can only hope for the future with the Tuna in town.

I really don't buy into the notion that the old school guys were tougher. The largest guy on the field was probably 260 lbs. But more importantly the ball carriers, linebackers, and DBs were really all in the same range. Csonka was what, 235? So it was tough for a DB in the 190lb range to bring him down.

Here is the issue. Csonka's match up was on the middle linebacker. The 190lb DB really hasn't changed. He's still 190-200 lbs. He has to stay that size to run with receivers. Today's exception to the rule, today's Csonka is Brandon Jacobs at 265 lbs.

I get your point about tackling fundamentals. I think it WAS becoming a lost art. I think teams have gotten back into the fundamentals though. People forget that a large part of Madison and Surtains dismissal was due to the fact that they could not tackle. Our new team will be bigger. They may not be as fast or have the cover skills of Madison or Surtain but they will be able to tackle. Our problem this year? They could not cover and they could not tackle. We were screwed either way.

I dont mean to imply that anyone who plays football is soft its just back then there was a little more after the play roughness, probably more due to the speed of the game. You could actually line up a guy and hit him whereas today half the time you're just happy to get an arm on him.

One thing I will say though if you've ever seen tapes of 1950s football that game was absolutely the most brutal sport I have ever seen. Forearm smashes to the throat, kicking, punching. They had to change the rules or else people would have gotten killed literally. That and they would have needed 100 man rosters to finish the season

Good omen for tomorrow.

NFL Network's oft run commercial with Shula showing his '72 ring saying "Flawless", and right after that Belichek saying "this is football".

Giants 28, Patriots 27. This time the Patriots last second Super Bowl FG goes awry.

Man o’ man. It's the end of the 3rd Quarter.

Folks, our beloved Dolphins are just 15 minutes away from becoming World Champions. It’s been a great day coming. Pinch me, I'm dreaming. Oh what, this game I’m watching was from 1973? And we already have 2 trophies? Damn! Well, we can only hope for the future with the Tuna in town.

Man they should have made it a doubleheader with SB 8 next. I dont want it to ever stop!

Good omen for tomorrow.

NFL Network's oft run commercial with Shula showing his '72 ring saying "Flawless", and right after that Belichek saying "this is football".

Giants 28, Patriots 27. This time the Patriots last second Super Bowl FG goes awry.

Ant the Vinitieri dynasty fades from our memories:woot:

Anybody get dizzy trying to focus on the video insert of the stadium clock on the screen with the shaking and unstable camera?

Always see the end zone photo of Scott’s INT with Buonoconti telling him to stay in the endzone. Of course 55 yards later it was OK.

Back
Top Bottom