MERGED2X:QB job holdup irking Frerotte\Gus sounding like\I do not care... | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED2X:QB job holdup irking Frerotte\Gus sounding like\I do not care...

Here's my case for AJ:

1. He arrived last year to learn a new offense and compete against an incumbent who had played in it for a few years and was the head coach's favorite. As a result, he shared snaps with the first team in practice for most of camp, rather than have time ot get comfortable in the offense.

2. It was a very difficult offense for a QB to succeed in: (a) poor pass protection; (2) no running game; (3) ultra-conservative offensive scheme; and (4) a team whose psyche was clearly damaged by the Ricky Williams retirement.

3. He's still relatively young and only has the equivalent of 1 year of starting experience under his belt.

4. He's got a pretty decent arm and, when given time, decent accuracy.

5. He's improved as this pre-season has gone on even though he is again competing against a veteran who knows the system and has the favor of the coaches.

6. His numbers last year, while not good, are no worse than many first year starters who have gone on to great NFL careers: Aikman, Elway, PManning, Bradshaw, Staubach, etc. In fact, his numbers last year compare relatively favorably to the 1st year production of the QBs who were top 3 picks in the draft over the last 15 years.

7. At age 28, he is not at all too old to develop into a good QB. Defining a "good" (but not great), season as a completion % of 57% and 3 more TDs than interceptions, many of the greatest QBs in NFL history had their first "good" season at near or after age 28: Warren Moon (33), Dan Fouts (27), Bradshaw (27), Staubach (29), Elway (33), Griese (32), Young (30), Starr (28), Aikman (26), Dawson (27), etc. Other good, but less great QBs, followed the same pattern: Simms (33), Theisman (30), Jaworski (29), Cunningham (27). The same is true of many of the better QBs in the NFL today: (Warner (28), Hasselbeck (27), TGreen (30).

8. Frerotte is a journeyman who has never been very good. While he too could have a late-career resurgence, he's already 34 and cannot be considered the QB of the future. Having him keep the seat warm for a year to pick a QB in the draft next year all but assures the Fins of sub-par QB play for another 4 years, as it will take time for a rookie QB to develop.

I just dont get how anyone can get excited about either QB!

Im going to be on edge every single game praying they dont throw it away.

This pisses me off....Frerotte needs to keep his mouth shut and compete!

If he were better than he really is, then we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place! I'm not a Feeley lover or a Frerotte hater....I don't favor either QB, but when one of them starts mouthing off, then it bothers me....

for the record, I am not crazy about either. But I think AJ has the talent and can make the throws. He needs more experience and there is only one way to get it. And to get it there will be pain along the way. If we embrace that we are rebuilding now, then AJ just makes sense. At least he has the potential upside. Gus has been around long enough and knows the system well enough that he is probably doing the best he can, which is scary.

Canadianfishfan said:
I just dont get how anyone can get excited about either QB!

Im going to be on edge every single game praying they dont throw it away.

QBs don't look good until they are good, i.e., until their passes are accurate and completed, they look bad. It's not like other positions where you really see speed, athleticism, etc. The only QBs that have "looked good" before they actually were good were those that relied a lot on speed and athleticism, e.g., Vick, Elway, McNabb, etc.

With Feeley, it's not that he's shown that much to be excited about, but rather that you have to give him more time before oyu can say he can't develop into that.

Fineas said:
QBs don't look good until they are good, i.e., until their passes are accurate and completed, they look bad. It's not like other positions where you really see speed, athleticism, etc. The only QBs that have "looked good" before they actually were good were those that relied a lot on speed and athleticism, e.g., Vick, Elway, McNabb, etc.

With Feeley, it's not that he's shown that much to be excited about, but rather that you have to give him more time before oyu can say he can't develop into that.

I agree with your post.. but somehow i dont think we're "rebuilding". Not with all the offseason veteran defensive players Saban brought in.

Feeley has had 5 years to showcase his talent. The avg. NFL career is 4 yrs. I dont agree with the argument that he never had a chance in Philly... He could've made an impact to latch on somewhere else... as he did here. Im not against feeley starting... But i think there comes a time when you have to throw out the "development' theory. Hes a veteran QB. He has to show what hes got RIGHT NOW. Hes not Eli Manning just drafted and have to develop as he plays (I actually am all for letting rookie QB sit a year or 2).

People talk about Gus having the job and possibly losing it. My things is that AJ was the imcumbent.. it was his to lose. He knew.. we know.. Saban knows.. this is the year Feeley takes it to another level.

Now feeley... just do it! And so far hes been unfortunately disappointing... He might have a GUS-like career.

Canadianfishfan said:
I agree with your post.. but somehow i dont think we're "rebuilding". Not with all the offseason veteran defensive players Saban brought in.

Feeley has had 5 years to showcase his talent. The avg. NFL career is 4 yrs. I dont agree with the argument that he never had a chance in Philly... He could've made an impact to latch on somewhere else... as he did here. Im not against feeley starting... But i think there comes a time when you have to throw out the "development' theory. Hes a veteran QB. He has to show what hes got RIGHT NOW. Hes not Eli Manning just drafted and have to develop as he plays (I actually am all for letting rookie QB sit a year or 2).

People talk about Gus having the job and possibly losing it. My things is that AJ was the imcumbent.. it was his to lose. He knew.. we know.. Saban knows.. this is the year Feeley takes it to another level.

Now feeley... just do it! And so far hes been unfortunately disappointing... He might have a GUS-like career.

We do have a lot of veterans, but if we are not rebuilding, what about next year and the year after. Are we goign to have a 36 or 37 year old Gus Frerotte starting? At some point, you're either going to have to go with a young guy and go through the growing pains or you are going to pony up huge money and a bunch of draft picks for an established, quality QB in the prime of his career and then watch that guy struggle in a new system.

As I said in my earlier post, at 28, after 5 years in the NFL, Feeley is not even close to too old to develop into a quality NFL starter. Look at the first 5 years of the careers of Warren Moon, Steve Young, John Elway, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Theisman, Trent Green, Bob Griese, Dan Fouts . . . the list goes on.

I agree that this is the year that AJ, hopefully, takes it to another level. That's tough to do, however, with splinters in your *** from sitting on the bench. Starting Gus makes no sense in the long run. If Gus had looked great this preseason and clearly distanced himself from Feeley, that'd be one thing, but even the most ardent Gusketeers can't really argue that with a straight face in light of his 59.7 QB rating and 44% completion percentage.

its like this gus. step up and play like a starter or you will always be competing for a job. this is just one more reason aj should be starting.

I wonder how Saban has been taking the whining. Hopefully that will come out.

Canadian Fishfan, I love that little guy on your avatar. What is that thing?

Aqua and Orange said:
I wonder how Saban has been taking the whining. Hopefully that will come out.

Canadian Fishfan, I love that little guy on your avatar. What is that thing?

This guys name is Vince, a character off an British clamation series called 'rex The Runt'....... he is crazy hilarious.. Just imaginne a mental patient on speed!

I found the cartoon on atomfilms.com... a great site with a ton of kewl internet shorts.. movies.. cartoons etc...

......... oh i think hes a dog.

Fineas said:
We do have a lot of veterans, but if we are not rebuilding, what about next year and the year after. Are we goign to have a 36 or 37 year old Gus Frerotte starting? At some point, you're either going to have to go with a young guy and go through the growing pains or you are going to pony up huge money and a bunch of draft picks for an established, quality QB in the prime of his career and then watch that guy struggle in a new system.

As I said in my earlier post, at 28, after 5 years in the NFL, Feeley is not even close to too old to develop into a quality NFL starter. Look at the first 5 years of the careers of Warren Moon, Steve Young, John Elway, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Theisman, Trent Green, Bob Griese, Dan Fouts . . . the list goes on.

I agree that this is the year that AJ, hopefully, takes it to another level. That's tough to do, however, with splinters in your *** from sitting on the bench. Starting Gus makes no sense in the long run. If Gus had looked great this preseason and clearly distanced himself from Feeley, that'd be one thing, but even the most ardent Gusketeers can't really argue that with a straight face in light of his 59.7 QB rating and 44% completion percentage.

Its hard to argue any point you've made.... Gus is a temporary stop gap guy. Maybe a year or 2. But as for Feeley.. THIS is his chance... THIS is his time. he must deliver THIS year. i was really excited about picking him up.... I was on the development bandwagon... but we had our year of losing for a serious draft pick. I believe that if you want to start... you have to earn it. These guys are making millions... If i was signing the paycheque I would have little patience. AJ HAS to come up big now.. there are absolutely no excuses. His entire career i believe will be judged by how he performs this season. I think if the fight is that close between Gus and AJ you give it to AJ cuz he's costing us ALOT. Gus i think was brought in to be a reliable back up anyway.

We are definitley rebuilding. You can not bring in an entire new coaching staff and change more than half the roster and think you are not rebuilding. The veterans are here because we need more talent than we could draft. Face it we did not bring in any Pro Bowl vets who are going to be huge impacts. We brought in journeyman type players who will fill some need. We are definitely rebuilding.

Feeley has been in the league, but he has yet to play an entire season. When you are stuck behind Mcnabb in Philly, and you don't play then you have not had a chance. Adiditionally, he only played like 8 games in college. So the guy is very green. He needs reps and he needs time. If he gets it and does not produce, I will be the first to lead the cut AJ cheer. The scary thing to me is that as green as he is, he is still out performing Gus.

I am not a Guskateer or a Feeley chearleader but looking at this thing objectively I dont feel there is much difference between either guy...just
like there wasnt much difference between AJ and Ears Fiedler...they both
have their good moments but they also can look horrible, throw INT's, get
sacked and make crappy throws. I do think Nick should name a starter by now.
Then next year, take Omar Jacobs. :)

I do not care that gus is frustrated

Heck he hasnt exactly played like a starter and Feeley improve troughout the camp while gus stunk it up....

Even Sage played better...

I hope Feeley gets the nod for the simple reason that gus never could be a starter anywhere so why us why now???

Back
Top Bottom