MergedX3: The WR Thread | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MergedX3: The WR Thread

i'd sign harrison if the colts cut him.he's on the "downside" true but his numbers are still as good as ginn's. i recall paul warfield on the "downside" of his career was still our best receiver.marvin's probably headed to canton as well.if the price is right...

I don't know if anybody realizes it, but there's a strong overtone of Run 'n Gun in the Fins' offense. Lots of passing, odd spread and run formations, and quite a few gimmick plays (I'm not talking about the Wildcat.) In an RnG, an offense relies a lot on mismatches to move the ball, especially at the receiver position. You need a burner (Ginn), a possession receiver who does everything mechanically right (Camarillo), a shifty slot guy for moving the chain and making DBs look stupid (Bess), a 75-78 inch guy who is stacked for his height (don't really have) to be the prototypical #1, and a really tall guy for fades (London right now, but he's more likely a situational replacement for Bess and an ST guy.)

Two players I have my eye on in this draft to fill those last two slots are Jaison Williams out of Oregon (6'6" and 245 pounds) and DJ Boldin out of Wake Forest (6'0" and 220 pounds.) They're both going to go later in the draft and taking them would fill the typical Parcells habit of doubling up positional picks in the draft.

I don't know if anybody realizes it, but there's a strong overtone of Run 'n Gun in the Fins' offense. Lots of passing, odd spread and run formations, and quite a few gimmick plays (I'm not talking about the Wildcat.) In an RnG, an offense relies a lot on mismatches to move the ball, especially at the receiver position. You need a burner (Ginn), a possession receiver who does everything mechanically right (Camarillo), a shifty slot guy for moving the chain and making DBs look stupid (Bess), a 75-78 inch guy who is stacked for his height (don't really have) to be the prototypical #1, and a really tall guy for fades (London right now, but he's more likely a situational replacement for Bess and an ST guy.)

Two players I have my eye on in this draft to fill those last two slots are Jaison Williams out of Oregon (6'6" and 245 pounds) and DJ Boldin out of Wake Forest (6'0" and 220 pounds.) They're both going to go later in the draft and taking them would fill the typical Parcells habit of doubling up positional picks in the draft.

Overall I agree with you RnG analysis, and will say there are a lot of this aspect to the Phins scheme.
I'm a big Oregon fan, but Jaison Williams has a major case of the drops-ese. I've watch him for a few years now, and I realize his production took a huge hit to to Dixon being gone, but Williams was benched during the season. Plus he is rather slow for an NFL reciever and had trouble getting seperation in college. To be honest he will probably be undrafted. It would be nice to bring him into camp then. Don't know a lot about Mr. Boldin.

Williams is bring projected as a late second day guy, while DJ Boldin is probably going in the third or fourth. Boldin's a lot like his older brother Q, just a couple inches shorter and a bit more stacked. If he were more prototypical in height, he'd be getting buzz as the next great #1.

I have Boldin for you that meets that criteria, except his first name is DJ and he's a senior from Wake Forest. He's projected as a third round pick, so he'll cost the Fins a lot less than Q would.

My Evaluation of The Wide Receiver Corps

As requested from Shula_Guy and other posters, I am doing an evaluation on the current crop of Receivers we have at the moment. One Receiver will be evaluated per post.

Ted Ginn: Ted Ginn displays blazing speed, but it takes him 5-7 yards before he can reach his top speed. His start/stop acceleration is lacking compared to the likes of Donnie Avery and even our own Davone Bess. Ginn plays with decent awareness, showing the ability to adjust to coverage without having to throttle down and taking false steps. He has developed some ability to catch the ball outside his frame, however, sometimes he uses his upper body to shield the catch in. He sometimes looks tight in his lower base and hips, failing to Lower his hips on deep out routes(13-15 yards). This leads to him rounding out some routes, such as the 15-17 yard Dig route he ran in the Arizona game. This route was wide open, but he failed to start off on the left foot then Lower his hips at the 15 yard mark and cut towards the middle of the field at a 90 degree angle. As a result, he rounded his cut out at the 16 yard mark and was late getting to the middle of the field. Pennington threw it where Ginn was supposed to be, but from the failed route running, Ginn almost cost the team an interception. On his comeback routes, he sometimes fails to start of the line 100% then chop his feet and throw his head(in some offenses, they call this "Giving Head.") By failing to throw his head, the Defensive Back does not fly back when he makes his stop on the comeback or hitch, resulting in a broken up pass. However, this is rare, as he shows the tendency to run the comebacks,curls, option routes well. Along with this, he does come back to the ball when the ball is thrown and sometimes Catches it at the highest point, such as the Fade to him in the endzone of the New York Jets game. On Post routes, he runs the effectively, but sometimes fails to start of the LOS and run towards the Defensive Backs outside shoulder, causing the cornerback to turn his hips to the outside and giving Ginn the oppurtunity to give a head fake or even sink his hips at the 17-19 yard mark and make a cut towards the Goal Post while the DB's hips and body is facing the outside and he is already running to the inside. Instead he just runs straight foward hoping to beat them with his straight speed and makes a lazy cut towards the goal post. This does not occur a lot however, as he does run most of his routes well. On the option routes, he finds the open hole in the zone, but sometimes tries to simply outrun the zone instead of finding the nice hole in it. Ginn has everything to become an elite reciever such as steve smith and santana moss, He needs to become crisp and a master of his route running and catching the ball at the highest point. He has unlimited potential in this league, he just needs experience and needs to keep working at it with his route running, catching, body explosion movements, and vertical body work, etc.. His hips are fluid most of the time, sinking his hips and lowering his lower body on the cuts he needs to make. His chopping head and throwing head works, but he needs to mostly stop being lazy on some routes. He needs to look in the ball more for the drops to decrease and he has to give more moves of the LOS jam, such as a double move or letting the DB try to initiate the Jam, and work off the technique his DB is doing, with the angle he takes off the LOS most importantly and what foot he needs to set out in front before the snap in order to help dictate to himself where and which foot he needs to cut off of.

Darrius Heyward-Bey out of UMD. Or Byrd from LSU. Nicks wouldn't be bad either.

Of course, I'd like to build on our lines, secondary, and linebackers as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can bank on this, London will never be anything special in the NFL. Watch his route running, he has very stiff hips, and they are not fluid at all. He is unable to drop and sink his hips on cuts and he is weak at throwing his head on the curls and comebacks.

The Dolphins need a dominant reciever, and London isnt that guy.

Bank on that they will be splitting time with this guy..., flyuid hips or not he ctaches the ball and plays ST

Bank on that they will be splitting time with this guy..., flyuid hips or not he ctaches the ball and plays ST

Uh no, London will not be splitting time. Fluid Hips matters more than just catching the ball and playing ST. Its one of the biggest parts of playing WR

Uh no, London will not be splitting time. Fluid Hips matters more than just catching the ball and playing ST. Its one of the biggest parts of playing WR

I would say I have some of the most fluid hips in the world, but I can't catch the ball worth a lick or play STs.
O Well! Where do I sign?

Back
Top Bottom