Miami Can Shred Contracts And Get To Almost $90m In Cap Space In 2019 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Can Shred Contracts And Get To Almost $90m In Cap Space In 2019

I'm perfectly ok with cutting or trading anyone who's over 30 or injury prone, except maybe Wake and Gore. If it were up to me, as a fan, I would give Wake another 1 year deal because I want him to get that 100th sack in a Dolphins uniform. To do it in a home game and receive a standing ovation from the fans would be even better. Gore I would keep because he's cheap, a great locker room presence, can still run between the tackles and we have no one better for that role at the moment. Drake is not a workhorse back and Ballage could use some more mentoring.
Anyway, by the time we're ready to compete, our older players will be washed up anyway, so why keep them? Get their contracts off the books and play the younger guys. At least that way you'll know for sure what you have with them. If they don't work out, at least you'll know not to waste any more time on them. Meanwhile, we'll suck just enough to secure a top pick in 2020 and we'll have a ton of cap space as well. It's a win-win.

Last edited:
If we are indeed tanking for Tua, doesn't the RT position (Tua a leftie) become the most important on the OL? Unless we can get better from free agency or the draft we should definitely keep James. Unless of course you can move Tunsil to RT but I'm unsure how practical that is?

I would trade, or release, any players who:
  1. Have a big contract...
  2. Won't be around in 3-4 years (27+ years old now)....

I’m down with the OP plan but I’d be stunned if Jones has any trade value with that contract and his injury history.

I think James gets massively overpaid if allowed to test the market. I’d bet on James being gone.

It's nice to see the Dolphins have finally seen the light in regards to rebuilding....about damn time. Imagine, we are having a conversation about how to go about rebuilding this this team.....wonderful.

This team is going to be gutted by the start of next season, won’t even look recognizable, assuming they jettison the high priced players for a cheap youth movement. Be afraid, be very afraid, but also look to a hopeful future.

Nothing wrong with that. Miami isn’t a winner so it shouldn’t be heartbreaking.

I’m down with the OP plan but I’d be stunned if Jones has any trade value with that contract and his injury history.

I think James gets massively overpaid if allowed to test the market. I’d bet on James being gone.

He doesn't really have much of an injury history. He's played 85% of his games in the last 7 years.

I could be wrong, but I would be surprised if we were able to cut so many players. Who are we going to replace them with and somebody has to play. It's likely anybody we do sign will have a similar if not higher contract. I can see us being strategic with the cuts and getting rid of guys who don't fit the player prototype Flores is going to require and then signing guys who do. Most likely it will take us a few seasons to get the type of guys Flores wants.

Reshad Jones is like Jarvis Landry: Imagine what we could do without him?

This is a passing league

Finding an Albert Wilson-type replacement for Reshad Jones should not be difficult at all, if we finally have a personnel department that knows what it is doing. I have some trust in that Marvin Allen guy.

Jesse Davis doesn't need to be cut. There was too much hope at this time last year. He has some strengths but you can't just hand him a starting role.

Tre Boston seems to be perpetually undervalued. 8 INT's and 17 PD over the last two years, played on a 1-year, 1.5M deal in Arizona, and he's much better in coverage than Jones.

Reshad Jones is the second most overrated player in recent memory behind the all amazing Jarvis Landry.

I’d take a 7th for him today.

:eyepop:

A 7th, huh?

Is that what top 5-10 at a position fetches in this day and age?

:eyepop:

A 7th, huh?

Is that what top 5-10 at a position fetches in this day and age?

For a player that plays one the lesser valued positions in the league and is on the wrong side of 30 with a terrible contract, we'd be fortunate to get anything for Jones. I'm guessing he gets cut after June 1st- that'll reduce the dead cap by $8M.

well, you need older veterans around to groom the younger guys. Frank Gore needs to stay to groom Ballage. Jones is a huge cap hit, so maybe he should stay and groom Fitzpatrick. Wake is cheap, maybe he should stay too to groom some DE's.

Back
Top Bottom