Miami Dolphins: 4 players that should be extended before training camp | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins: 4 players that should be extended before training camp

Baker is an interesting player to try to place a value upon.

His first few years were underwhelming at best, no splash plays, very few sacks... just a guy level pass coverage... but he could play 3 downs, not especially well, but he could play them.

Last year, things seemed to click and his sack total crept up to 7... he made a few nice tackles behind the line... but still no turnovers really.

Ascending? Maybe. Or maybe he's just a guy, a guy who probably wants a big pay increase.

OTC values him at 6.3M/year... If he gives us one more healthy year, I could see paying him 7-8M/year (McKinney money), but if he starts asking for Edge money, I let him walk and take the comp pick.
His rookie year he has a nice pick 6. Point is he’s athletic and can make plays anywhere on the field. But I agree w the analysis.

I'd wait and see how Gesicki puts it all together and gels within the new offense with Tua.

Baker I'd imagine they are going to get something done at some point. Coach's son type.

Fuller needs to show that he can stay healthy for a full season. That's the only question mark and it's a significant one.

Ogbah I'd also wait to see if he can at least replicate last season's production, while also playing more consistent football.

I'd like to see them play first to see if I really want to extend them.
I was just responding to the thread in which the OP asked which 4 player should be extended. The 4 I listed are really the only 4 players which I see who are free agents the Dolphins might even be interested in resigning. Yet it won’t surprise me if none of these 4 are on the roster in 2022.

Depending on how Long develops and how much money Gesicki is looking to sign for in a new contract, I can envision Long being the starter in 2022 and the Dolphins letting Gesicki walk in free agency if he asking for too much money.

If Fuller plays the entire season after finishing his suspension and has a very good season, he will likely be looking for a long term contract at much more than the $10 million dollars he will earn next season. I just don’t know if the Dolphins will want to sign him to a long term contract based on his injury history.

While I like Baker, it will obviously come down to how much money he wants to be paid. He is a good but not great LB and him remaining a Dolphin after the 2021 season could go either way IMO.

Ogbah is a huge question mark. If he plays the way he did the first half of the 2020 the entire 2021 season, he is obviously going to be looking for a big increase in salary to resign with the Dolphins. Yet if he plays like he did over the latter part of the 2020, the Dolphins will likely be looking to upgrade from
Ogbah. If they don’t resign him before the season or during the season, I doubt they will resign him once the season is over.

Why does it seem finfans don't want to keep Gesicki? We drafted him and he is poised for a big season. I'd prefer to keep him if he performs up to his contract demands.
I don’t think it is the fans who don’t want to keep Gesicki. I just think the drafting of Long seems to imply that the Dolphins realize they might not be able to meet his contract demands after this coming season. While I am sure the fans and the team would love to see Gesicki remain with the Dolphins after the 2021 season. It will all come down to the money Gesicki is asking for to stay in Miami and whether or not the Dolphins coaches feel Long can replace Gesicki as the starting TE in 2022.

At this very second id agree.

Overall though you can generally get the player signed to a much more team friendly deal than if they hit FA.
That is often said, but I believe it is more anecdotal than actually supported by data.

Players are not all in the same situation, or mindset.

Sure, a guy might sign a "team friendly" deal, but only because he likes his situation, likes the bird in hand protection against injury, and weighs that against likely FA offers.

Some guys are dead set on testing the market, and aren't interested in extending early.

Why does it seem finfans don't want to keep Gesicki? We drafted him and he is poised for a big season. I'd prefer to keep him if he performs up to his contract demands.
I'm wondering this too. Gesicki is one of the best TEs Miami has had in a long time. Years we kept saying how Miami kept letting home grown talent walk out the door like Lamar Miller and Vernon. I don't think Gesicki will break the bank unless they let him become a FA and get into a bidding war for him.

It appears they want to go 2 TE a bunch, so Long is there to go with Gesicki, not replace him in a year. They do different
things and compliment each other (looks like, hope so). I would think they want both long term.

Restructuring Jones is a no brainer. If he doesn't take a restructure he's gone after 2022.
Restructure would be a “no brainer” for the player, not the team... Generally, that term is used because you moved money around. You’re thinking of a PAY CUT... I could see him rebounding and having a better year this year and his salary not being touched.

If Baker has another above average season, I see him getting $10-12mil/year on the market. I see Gesicki getting $10mil/year too if he has another season like last. Ogbah getting around $11-13mil if he repeats his performance.

I’m not an expert at all but IF they got those numbers I would let them all walk based on a repeat of last years stats.

Last edited:
First, I hope we don't restructured ANY players. all that's ever done is get us in trouble plus there's no need for it anyway. We're looking at at least 70mill of cap space next year if not more.

Second, no need to extend anybody right now either. The 4 players mentioned are good but not great players. Let them play this season and go from there.

That is often said, but I believe it is more anecdotal than actually supported by data.

Players are not all in the same situation, or mindset.

Sure, a guy might sign a "team friendly" deal, but only because he likes his situation, likes the bird in hand protection against injury, and weighs that against likely FA offers.

Some guys are dead set on testing the market, and aren't interested in extending early.

I can agree other circumstances do come into play and it doesn't always work out that way.

Its also possible to over pay a guy based on what you think his FA worth would be for example.

At the very least it does avoid a bidding war.

Last edited:
Its also possible to pay a guy based on what you think his FA worth would be for example.
Then that, by definition, is not "team friendly".
At the very least it does avoid a bidding war.
It does do that, assuming the player thinks it is in his best interests.

Most good players get one shot at the big payday, and look to get the best deal they can. Total $ isn't everything either. Gaurantees in the later years are what many players want.

Then that, by definition, is not "team friendly".

It does do that, assuming the player thinks it is in his best interests.

Most good players get one shot at the big payday, and look to get the best deal they can. Total $ isn't everything either. Gaurantees in the later years are what many players want.

I don't disagree with you at all really. There are positives and negatives to any potential deal or acquisition strategy.

Just saying the "idea" or "hope" is to beat the market.

Back
Top Bottom