Miami Dolphins: 4 players that should be extended before training camp | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins: 4 players that should be extended before training camp

2nd round, absolutely. When you ask casual NFL fans around the nation to name one player in our receiving group, they can only come up with Gesicke. Only local community bashing him.
As for huge contract, what is huge? I say he is worth a top ten TE contract, whether with us or with other teams.
not for nothing but our WR room has been pretty bad so people knowing gesicki is a reflection on how bad our WR room has been. I like Gesicki to a point. Do I think we could get a 2nd round pick for him? No I don't but I can see a 3rd.

I don’t think baker is a great fit for what Flores wants. That said he has been very productive for Flores. Maybe Flores can keep him
So basically, Baker doesn’t fit the defense but he has played well in the defense he doesn’t fit into and therefore Flores should try to resign him even If he isn’t a suitable fit for the defense Flores wants to play.
Got it.

I'm not sure than any of these four are 'must-haves'. None of them are elite, although Gesicki is the closest to this, and might get there this year.

It took Baker until his third year to have an above average season. 7 sacks from the weak side isn't bad, but this is scheme stuff... nothing he did by over-matching anyone. No interceptions... not real burly in run-support. He isn't just a guy, but he isn't much better than that.

Ogbah, a fifth year player, started fast, and then disappeared as teams realized he was our only real pass rusher. To me, this means that he is a second rank guy who might ask for stat money. Not appealing, if he wants to be paid. His tackle numbers are low as well... To me, this guy looks like a situational pass rusher, more than a starter.

Fuller has lots of talent, but he's another guy who has already played 5 seasons and likely has a probable low upside. Plus, he's never played more than 14 games in a season. He's less durable than Parker. I damned sure wouldn't give this guy a long term contract... 2 years max.

Now Gesicki... He's missed one game in three years and has gotten better in each year. Like almost all tight ends, his first year was forgettable, especially since Adam Gase was playing him incorrectly. Gesicki is a slot-style tight end... you know, the modern kind... like Sharpe and Gonzo... and Gates. He put up career highs in yardage and TDs last year and did this despite playing in a constipated offense with no speed or deep threats to keep him from being double and triple covered. Quite honestly, I expect him to push 1000 yards and 6-10 TDs this year if he remains healthy-- which he always has.

Gesicki is the guy to lock up. Long's arrival does nothing to diminish what Gesicki brings to the team. Long is a Y-style tight end and the two of them could easily be the best set of Tight Ends since Gronkowski and Hernandez. If I'm faced with the choice between 4 years of Fuller at 18M/season or 4 years of Gesicki at 13M/season... I sign Gesicki so fast that your head will spin.

1) Gesicki
2) Baker
3) Ogbah
4) Fuller

I doubt any of them will extended before training camp or ever before the season ends but these are the top 4 players I would like to see the Dolphins sign to new contracts.
these are the big 4 i think

I'm not sure than any of these four are 'must-haves'. None of them are elite, although Gesicki is the closest to this, and might get there this year.

It took Baker until his third year to have an above average season. 7 sacks from the weak side isn't bad, but this is scheme stuff... nothing he did by over-matching anyone. No interceptions... not real burly in run-support. He isn't just a guy, but he isn't much better than that.

Ogbah, a fifth year player, started fast, and then disappeared as teams realized he was our only real pass rusher. To me, this means that he is a second rank guy who might ask for stat money. Not appealing, if he wants to be paid. His tackle numbers are low as well... To me, this guy looks like a situational pass rusher, more than a starter.

Fuller has lots of talent, but he's another guy who has already played 5 seasons and likely has a probable low upside. Plus, he's never played more than 14 games in a season. He's less durable than Parker. I damned sure wouldn't give this guy a long term contract... 2 years max.

Now Gesicki... He's missed one game in three years and has gotten better in each year. Like almost all tight ends, his first year was forgettable, especially since Adam Gase was playing him incorrectly. Gesicki is a slot-style tight end... you know, the modern kind... like Sharpe and Gonzo... and Gates. He put up career highs in yardage and TDs last year and did this despite playing in a constipated offense with no speed or deep threats to keep him from being double and triple covered. Quite honestly, I expect him to push 1000 yards and 6-10 TDs this year if he remains healthy-- which he always has.

Gesicki is the guy to lock up. Long's arrival does nothing to diminish what Gesicki brings to the team. Long is a Y-style tight end and the two of them could easily be the best set of Tight Ends since Gronkowski and Hernandez. If I'm faced with the choice between 4 years of Fuller at 18M/season or 4 years of Gesicki at 13M/season... I sign Gesicki so fast that your head will spin.
Hard to argue with your post. Gesicki's also young so he has that going for him. It'll be interesting to see how Flores really feels about him but yes, out of those 4 he'd probably be the one.

Hard to argue with your post. Gesicki's also young so he has that going for him. It'll be interesting to see how Flores really feels about him but yes, out of those 4 he'd probably be the one.
The risk, of course, is that if he absolutely tears it up this season... then he'll cost a LOT more.

Generally, these slot type TEs are so much more effective when their teams have a deep threat on the field, and in that, Fuller will help. If we keep Gesicki and let Fuller walk (my preference), then we'll have to bring in another deep threat next year, and considering Fuller's litany of missed games, I think that's the way to go anyway.

not for nothing but our WR room has been pretty bad so people knowing gesicki is a reflection on how bad our WR room has been. I like Gesicki to a point. Do I think we could get a 2nd round pick for him? No I don't but I can see a 3rd.
As far as cap goes, we have 60 mil in room space. That is the forth highest in the league. Not to mention cap will increase. What is the purpose of all the maneuver and cut to create cap space? Is to keep good players like MG.
Pay the man, he earn it. As long as Long does not blossom right away.

1) Gesicki
2) Baker
3) Ogbah
4) Fuller

I doubt any of them will be extended before training camp or even before the season ends but these are the top 4 players I would like to see the Dolphins sign to new contracts.
Sign before camp....
Not Fuller.
I like to see with at least half season before talking extension.
Not Baker. We have enough high round to replace him. Unless he takes a friendly contact.
Ogbah, yes.
I like to see Long in traning camp before talk extension with MG.

I was all for resign Gesicki since the end of last season

This guy is our best Red Zone Target at TE since Mc Michael and Keith Jackson

He is young, not injured in 3 years and catch everything throw to him.

With Long on board now he could be a really really good TE duo.....or not if Long doesn’t pan out.

So resign him now before he could put number that put him to costly to extend him for 4 or 5 years.

JMO and perhaps I am biased but Gesicki is my favorite players with Van Ginkel 😉

I was all for resign Gesicki since the end of last season

This guy is our best Red Zone Target at TE since Mc Michael and Keith Jackson

He is young, not injured in 3 years and catch everything throw to him.

With Long on board now he could be a really really good TE duo.....or not if Long doesn’t pan out.

So resign him now before he could put number that put him to costly to extend him for 4 or 5 years.

JMO and perhaps I am biased but Gesicki is my favorite players with Van Ginkel 😉
He actually led the AFC in drops for TEs with 4. I like him but don’t think we should kill the cap to resign him.

He actually led the AFC in drops for TEs with 4. I like him but don’t think we should kill the cap to resign him.
The 'drops' stat is one of the least credible stats that anyone bothers to keep. Every 'drop' is different, and a judgement call. Was the ball tipped? We don't know. Did he get both hands on it? We don't know. Did he see it clearly, or was his vision obscured? We don't know.

For the most part, it is a garbage stat.

I will say this... Mike's hands are stellar... if the ball is high or ahead of him. The actual 'drops' that I've seen have ALL been behind him. He doesn't turn well in midair.

Go back and watch these 'drops'... you'll see it clearly.

The 'drops' stat is one of the least credible stats that anyone bothers to keep. Every 'drop' is different, and a judgement call. Was the ball tipped? We don't know. Did he get both hands on it? We don't know. Did he see it clearly, or was his vision obscured? We don't know.

For the most part, it is a garbage stat.

I will say this... Mike's hands are stellar... if the ball is high or ahead of him. The actual 'drops' that I've seen have ALL been behind him. He doesn't turn well in midair.

Go back and watch these 'drops'... you'll see it clearly.
Nothing about this player screams big time player or big time contract to me. Nice player but not worth killing the cap over. Cannot get separation unless he’s in the slot and cannot block. Don’t see us making a long term commitment unless he gives us a home town discount.

Nothing about this player screams big time player or big time contract to me. Nice player but not worth killing the cap over. Cannot get separation unless he’s in the slot and cannot block. Don’t see us making a long term commitment unless he gives us a home town discount.
Well... at least your bias is out now and you've stopped with the garbage about 'drops'.

Baker is an interesting player to try to place a value upon.

His first few years were underwhelming at best, no splash plays, very few sacks... just a guy level pass coverage... but he could play 3 downs, not especially well, but he could play them.

Last year, things seemed to click and his sack total crept up to 7... he made a few nice tackles behind the line... but still no turnovers really.

Ascending? Maybe. Or maybe he's just a guy, a guy who probably wants a big pay increase.

OTC values him at 6.3M/year... If he gives us one more healthy year, I could see paying him 7-8M/year (McKinney money), but if he starts asking for Edge money, I let him walk and take the comp pick.
Baker had a game winning INT return for a TD his rookie season. Basically kept our season alive. It was against the Jets.

Sometimes I feel like you just Google the stat line instead of watch the games and let the film tell the story.

Baker had a game winning INT return for a TD his rookie season. Basically kept our season alive. It was against the Jets.

Sometimes I feel like you just Google the stat line instead of watch the games and let the film tell the story.
You remember that ONE time... back three years ago... when he actually had ONE play in his career...

That was cool.

Back
Top Bottom