Miami Dolphins’ current view of Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert might surprise you | Page 24 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins’ current view of Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert might surprise you

It's not just the injuries or types of injuries in a vacuum …. It also has to do with the frequency and the part of the body they occur pertaining to playing football … hips, legs, knees and ankles are kind of important (as well as attached) IMO … speaking solely for myself on this

Not saying/implying he can't/won't overcome them but it's a bigger gamble than not
Burrow had a broken hand and a separated shoulder. Wouldn't that be just as alarming for someone who throws a ball for a living? Some guys like Rosen had concussion injuries in college. To me that's way more concerning knowing the history of people who get concussions are more susceptible to more of them. Concussions can definitely be career enders. There really isn't any perfect prospects. Every one of them have something that you can nitpick about them. There have been loads of players who have injuries in college that went on to have long healthy careers just like there have been loads of prospects that were totally healthy in college and got hurt in the pros and had extremely short careers. I love the analogy TedSlimm used in another post. He said injuries are like lightning strikes. You just don't know when and where they are going to happen.

Burrow had a broken hand and a separated shoulder. Wouldn't that be just as alarming for someone who throws a ball for a living? Some guys like Rosen had concussion injuries in college. To me that's way more concerning knowing the history of people who get concussions are more susceptible to more of them. Concussions can definitely be career enders. There really isn't any perfect prospects. Every one of them have something that you can nitpick about them. There have been loads of players who have injuries in college that went on to have long healthy careers just like there have been loads of prospects that were totally healthy in college and got hurt in the pros and had extremely short careers. I love the analogy TedSlimm used in another post. He said injuries are like lightning strikes. You just don't know when and where they are going to happen.

Here is my cynical take on evaluating injuries. If I like player A, the injuries are minor and injuries to player B are worrisome. If I like player B, the injuries are minor and injuries to player A are worrisome. Actually, we've all seen a lot of one-time injuries and we've all seen injuries that nag a player their whole career.

I admit, I'm more concerned about a hip injury. There's little an athlete can do that doesn't need hip movement. That said, if I'm Flo, I go with medical evaluations and anything I can see of the actual targeted athlete. Injuries are part of football, umm, except for those who trash a team for drafting a player with injuries and, in hindsight, can claim the player shouldn't have been drafted.

He had two elective surgeries for sprained ankles. Those surgeries make high ankle sprains less likely. In my eyes, those surgeries are a net plus. So, I'll say again, you have one major injury that should be of concern. He has cleared every hurdle medically so far with the hip. If that keeps heading in the right direction and doctors believe that he is at no further risk of reinjuring the hip no team will be scared off by those other minor injuries.

The way I look at it... is it’s not whether he’s healed, it’s how many times he’s been injured in a short period of time.

I can assure you NFL scouts do not share your view that his numerous injuries are plus in regards to durability!

This is what I'm talking about with you embellishing. Ever time you talk about Tua your list of injuries gets longer. You forgot to mention the time he stubbed his toe getting a glass a water in the middle of the night. :lol: I really believe that you are falling into the trap that happens at this time of year with every prospect. They get picked apart, sometimes unfairly, trying to unearth a perfect prospect, but the hard truth is there is no perfect prospect. You have injury concerns with Tua, most of us have what I believe to be even more important concerns about all the other QBs as to their actual ability to play in the NFL.

If you think certain players are not less durable than others... you haven’t watched the game long.

OK … you're not concerned … I get it … I'm not trying to convince you … just stating my concern over Tua's frequency of injury on connected body parts … It may be no big deal in the long run but it's not a gamble I like and IF I took it I definately wouldn't trade several draft picks to acquire it ...

If you think certain players are not less durable than others... you haven’t watched the game long.
You seem to make alot of these statements... Without backing them up, the most recent one being that 50% of player who have a good Senior Bowl week tend to have good NFL careers... And you backed that one up with 3 examples, as if that means anything....

Did you know that counting the previous 2 years injuries, NFL players who had any kind of injuries [in that time frame] where only 13% more likely(than the players who were healthy) to NOT play the whole 16 games the following season?

You seem to make alot of these statements... Without backing them up, the most recent one being that 50% of player who have a good Senior Bowl week tend to have good NFL careers... And you backed that one up with 3 examples, as if that means anything....

Did you know that counting the previous 2 years injuries, NFL players who had any kind of injuries [in that time frame] where only 13% more likely(than the players who were healthy) to NOT play the whole 16 games the following season?
Just when I thought I didn't have to worry about math anymore.....you guys start talking about %......I just can't

This ain’t going to go well for you - you are taking about players who are growing into their man strength - not veterans

Tua’s injury prone two seasons are a concern for every NFL evaluator, you want to ignore that because you have a man crush on Tua? Let’s see how that works out for us?

The kid is a excellent passer...but he’s fragile...that’s just reality!

Here is my cynical take on evaluating injuries. If I like player A, the injuries are minor and injuries to player B are worrisome. If I like player B, the injuries are minor and injuries to player A are worrisome. Actually, we've all seen a lot of one-time injuries and we've all seen injuries that nag a player their whole career.

I admit, I'm more concerned about a hip injury. There's little an athlete can do that doesn't need hip movement. That said, if I'm Flo, I go with medical evaluations and anything I can see of the actual targeted athlete. Injuries are part of football, umm, except for those who trash a team for drafting a player with injuries and, in hindsight, can claim the player shouldn't have been drafted.

Ok... fair enough, but look at Carson Wentz as an example... highly talented, can’t stay healthy...is that really what we want?

I have to say I am worried based on Tua’s two year injury history...no matter how talented he is!

Does anyone remember a guy named Chad Pennington?. I plain loved the guy, BUT and its a HUGH BUT, he was fragile as hell. In college he was fragile in the pros he was fragile.

I remember when he finished the shoulder off taking the snap from center....

I've warmed to TUA (since he is not a franchise #1 overall pick, I like the accuracy, hate his size and injury history. I do NOT believe for one second that this will change in the pros where defenders are bigger stronger and faster. Thus why not look at players with less of a history.

Tell me exactly who those players are. Tell me which ones are going to be those players, because I can give you examples of guys that were hurt a lot in college who went on to have long productive careers and I can give you examples of guys who were very healthy in college who had short unproductive careers in the NFL.

The way I look at it... is it’s not whether he’s healed, it’s how many times he’s been injured in a short period of time.

I can assure you NFL scouts do not share your view that his numerous injuries are plus in regards to durability!
I could buy in if the injury was to the same area, It might show that he had some sort of predisposition to injury of that area. But these injuries are all to seperate locations.

Also important to add, these arent non-contact injuries. The ankle injuries are a direct result of having a 300 lb man fall on your ankle. Same with the hip.

He isnt injury prone, he has just had bad luck with injuries.

If his hip is fine, im all in.

Back
Top Bottom