Miami Dolphins’ current view of Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert might surprise you | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins’ current view of Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert might surprise you

And they were 12-2 and won the Rose Bowl, lead by Herbert.
So let me get this straight...

Mahomes went 5-7 because he wasn't good against the blitz.
Herbert also wasn't good against the blitz or any kind of pressure.
Herbert doesn't have the talent that these other QBs do so maybe he could do better.
Oregon went 12-2 and won the Rose Bowl.

Do you see where your logic falls apart?

And they were 12-2 and won the Rose Bowl, lead by Herbert.

17-7 win over California, 21-6 Win over Stanford. Herbert passed for 139 yards against Wisconsin. Wisconsin turned the ball over 4 times. Little more than Herbert willing them to victory.

I'd take Oregon's offensive line over clemson's weapons any day of the week. Best OL on football and still couldn't consistently take over a football game with his arm.

Easy pass.

Best OLine in football is subjective, but that is part of the reason why they played more conservative. They played to the strengths of what their team was good at and made Herbert facilitate. However they don’t have a team that you can just “take over” games with because they didn’t have the skill players to do that with any type of consistency. OLine, Run Game and defense.

Considering a 12-2 record and Rose Bowl victory, I’d say Cristobal was correct in that approach.

Best OLine in football is subjective, but that is part of the reason why they played more conservative. They played to the strengths of what their team was good at and made Herbert facilitate. However they don’t have a team that you can just “take over” games with because they didn’t have the skill players to do that with any type of consistency. OLine, Run Game and defense.

Considering a 12-2 record and Rose Bowl victory, I’d say Cristobal was correct in that approach.

I guess you and I have different standards in what we call a good college qb. Worse qbs have insane games, no reason Herbert could never have one.

I don't want a admitted introvert leading my favorite NFL team when a legit leader is tight there to take. I don't want a guy that needs aot of development to be as good a passer as the same guy whose a better leader. Again this is just me.

I hate using this term, but this is a textbook smokescreen. Dolphins can't hide the fact that Grier went to numerous Alabama games to scout Tua.

As for Herbert, they were ready to sell the farm to draft him last off-season. This doesn't surprise me.
He went to those games before Tua suffered a serious hip injury. It makes perfect sense to me that they would have serious reservations about drafting Tua at 5 because of all the injuries he has suffered in the past two years and especially with the hip surgery he had just a few months ago.

I think if not for all those injuries drafting Tua over Herbert would have been an easy decision to make. Yet with Tua seeming to be injury prone and coming off major surgery on his hip, I would not be surprised at all if the Dolphins select Herbert even if Tua is still on the board when they have their first pick.

So let me get this straight...

Mahomes went 5-7 because he wasn't good against the blitz.
Herbert also wasn't good against the blitz or any kind of pressure.
Herbert doesn't have the talent that these other QBs do so maybe he could do better.
Oregon went 12-2 and won the Rose Bowl.

Do you see where your logic falls apart?

Actually I don’t. I never said Mahomes went 5-7 because he wasn’t good against the blitz. I pointed out Mahomes didn’t have the team success and as great as he was couldn’t overcome his teams weaknesses when the competition stiffened.

Me pointing out him being subpar against the blitz was my way of comparing Herbert to a guy who also had his struggles in college vs. the blitz. Not everybody that struggles against the blitz is Ryan Tannehill.

Actually I don’t. I never said Mahomes went 5-7 because he wasn’t good against the blitz. I pointed out Mahomes didn’t have the team success and as great as he was couldn’t overcome his teams weaknesses when the competition stiffened.

Me pointing out him being subpar against the blitz was my way of comparing Herbert to a guy who also had his struggles in college vs. the blitz. Not everybody that struggles against the blitz is Ryan Tannehill.

Also though K, Mahomes was never talked about as a top pick in the draft like Herbert has.

Not really. Why?
Really? You are posting a pundit's opinion from last season saying that someone told him who heard from someone that the Dolphins coveted Tua in the same offseason they gave Tannehill a ridiculous extension? :lol:

Every got dam NFL writer/sports writer/any writer got egg in their faces declaring that the Dolphins were tanking - for sure - 100% - no doubt - absolutely.

Get me an article or an interview from 2018 where a Dolphins coach/ GM or any front office person said: we are enamored/eyeing Tua in 2020.

Man Tua is renting space in your head. Donate = mod status or are you just so anti-Tua you’re steaming?

I guess you and I have different standards in what we call a good college qb. Worse qbs have insane games, no reason Herbert could never have one.

I don't want a admitted introvert leading my favorite NFL team when a legit leader is tight there to take. I don't want a guy that needs aot of development to be as good a passer as the same guy whose a better leader. Again this is just me.

The whole mental aspect of it all, My faith is in the team to know what type of personality they are dealing with here.

I heard Herbert speak several times in post game interviews this year and I came away impressed, considering all the stuff I heard about him being “not a leader” and “introverted”. I never got that impression, at all.

The whole mental aspect of it all, My faith is in the team to know what type of personality they are dealing with here.

I heard Herbert speak several times in post game interviews this year and I came away impressed, considering all the stuff I heard about him being “not a leader” and “introverted”. I never got that impression, at all.

He admitted to being an introvert. That's where people get that from.

Also though K, Mahomes was never talked about as a top pick in the draft like Herbert has.

He probably should of been lol. Chris and Flo needs to mute the “talked about” stuff and just get it right, even if there are folks that won’t like it or disagree with it.

He probably should of been lol. Chris and Flo needs to mute the “talked about” stuff and just get it right, even if there are folks that won’t like it or disagree with it.

Not disagreeing at all, but I remember people knock Pat because of what you said.

Herbert is bad when pressured. He went 12-2. This indicates that he's rarely pressured and that Oregon indeed has a distinct talent advantage over the other teams that they play.

Herbert is a front-running QB who isn't relied upon to win games for his team. Mahomes was that dude in college, but still lost because his defense was atrocious (5th best offense, dead last defense). I mean, Mahomes threw for 5,052 yards while Herbert was sitting at 3,471. That's a BIG volume difference and it's not like Herbert is a running threat. The guy averages 140 rushing yards per season.

It's not like Mahomes transformed when he got the NFL just like Herbert isn't going to transform. If you have a QB who can't overcome deficiencies and who can't play well in spite of them then he's precisely a Tannehill.

Don't ever compare them again, honestly.

Back
Top Bottom