Miami Dolphins rumored to be working on a trade with the Redskins | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins rumored to be working on a trade with the Redskins

out that a complete team is necessary for success is not "belittling" the the QB position, it is pointing out a fact. Not trading up for an injured QB is just com

It's clear that the emphasis of your position is Tua and that you don't trust his health, and thus don't want to give up resources for him. That's fine. I disagree.

But let it be clear...there is no complete team, there is no sustained success without a top QB.

For that model to work, you need a great QB.
That's true of any model, unless you have an all time great D, and a certain amount of luck.

I've always felt that what has made the Pats so good for so long, is thier ability to adapt, and reinvent themselves on an almost weekly basis.

Yes, they have a very good QB, particularly between the ears, but the driving force is game plans, and schemes, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, Brady is good but, individually, is he any better than P. Manning, Brees or Rodgers?

Owner already came out and said trade rumors are bunk. It really doesn't make sense for Lions to trade away Stafford at this juncture. I don't think this will impact what it costs for us to get to #2 if we wanted it.

Looked everywhere...

Couldn't find anything relating to Marsha Firestone Ford and Matthew Stafford.

Found some GM speak, which can be taken with a grain of salt.

Looked everywhere...

Couldn't find anything relating to Marsha Firestone Ford and Matthew Stafford.

Found some GM speak, which can be taken with a grain of salt.

guess it was gm but all the same i think the cap implications of stafford's contract makes him virtually untradeable - at least that is what many a folk are saying because of the dead cap cost associated

Owner already came out and said trade rumors are bunk. It really doesn't make sense for Lions to trade away Stafford at this juncture. I don't think this will impact what it costs fus to get to #2 if we wanted it.
The Lions with Stafford have been what the Dolphins were with Tannehill. A mediocre team going nowhere.
I think now is the perfect time for the Lions to trade Stafford and take the cap hit like the Dolphins did.
With Stafford as their QB next year they will likely win 6-8 games and they will have no chance to draft a franchise QB in the 2021 draft.
If they believe Tua can be a franchise QB, now would be the opportunity to select him and build their team around him over the next several years.
Just like Tannehill, Stafford could be a very good QB on a team with more talent but the Lions are going no where with him and just like the Dolphins, they should be looking to their future and Stafford is not their future at QB.

guess it was gm but all the same i think the cap implications of stafford's contract makes him virtually untradeable - at least that is what many a folk are saying because of the dead cap cost associated
I remember many people also said that Tannehill was untradeable prior to last season for exactly the same reason. Yet the Dolphins traded him and just took the cap hit.

It's clear that the emphasis of your position is Tua and that you don't trust his health, and thus don't want to give up resources for him. That's fine. I disagree.

But let it be clear...there is no complete team, there is no sustained success without a top QB.

Bless you. I'm soooooo tired of "elite QB"

I think a huge shock is coming on draft day. I think this front office:
1)knows they need every draft asset and more to re-build a roster they decimated. Trading up to #2 or #3 is, I bet, not something they want to do unless it's a bargain trade.
2)will follow the Patriots model of drafting and trade down more than trade up. Maybe little trade ups in the later rounds that don't wreck your draft, but in the top 10, it will surprise me if they go this route.
3)I read that Grier wants to use all his picks on players. My gut says he meant that.
4)I think more than looking at college resumes, they are going to break down each QB based on traits- leadership, accuracy, etc and see which QB will best fit into Gailey's incoming system. I think they are going to find there is a later round QB or two that doesn't differ much from, say, Eason or Herbert.
5)I think they know if they give away the farm to trade up to 2 or 3 for a QB and he busts they are cooked. I honestly think Miami trades down out of 5, to maybe 9, adds another first rounder next year or a second this year, still picks a stud, and grabs a QB nobody saw coming late 1st. And this board goes crazy. I have a feeling on who the QB might be, and I have posted about him various times, (Morgan FIU)but this would not shock me at all. It's going to be about the team's ability to develop the guy they draft- they know they are not drafting a finished product. This may not be a popular opinion, and I am not advocating "pick Morgan over Tua!" ... but my own draft mantra has always been "run screaming from oft injured players early"...and that is Tua. Herbert is not a leader. Bash me all you want, I just have a feeling we will be unconventional, come away with 14+ draftees, a QB no one expected, but it will be a guy to develop, who will not start right away anyway. The QB will be a guy they think they can turn into a real leader, who processes fast, nice arm, accurate.

I agree.

I would add this to item#4:

They will be doing a lot of background checks to try to avoid character issues that may indicate off field problems with drugs, drinking, intrapersonal antagonism's and how the player has handled them. They will not want to bring in a potential Diva or a personality who is not likely to adapt to the pressure that goes along with being an NFL player. They will probably compare what they find to players they have had in the past who had some major dysfunctions pop up that they don't want to see again.

This area is hard to define specifically and is somewhat, but not entirely, subjective. Still, the real cost to a team in both time, money and lost opportunity (in terms of selecting a player who can make the grade) is not a trivial issue. Just one that is very hard to make a determination about.

With all the needs we have for good players on this team it would be easy to "let our eyes be bigger then our stomachs", with regard to a player skill vs. that players character faults and how they may be effected by the enormous change in life style going from college to the NFL. The level of personal responsibility these men need to succeed in life in the NFL is extraordinary, and many don't make it.

We want to get as many players as possible who will make a successful transition, play well and grow as players. I hope for the best but anticipate their will be a lot of failures due to this transition. Management needs to do all it can to help these guys make that transition, but we can't live their lives for them.

I'm looking forward to the draft , the results we get out of training camp and a successful season where we are competitive and in the race for the playoffs at the end of the season. The results will speak for themselves.

We may be looking at what can be the most significant draft class in the teams history, based on both the large number of picks and the high draft positions we hold along with an evolving coaching staff and front office. I expect great results from all this that translate to wins on the field; and considering that there appears to be a general flattening of the playing field where many of the perennial playoff teams don't look as good as they have in the past, this could and should be our time. The fact that we will be able to approach the 2021 draft with another large wave of players is the icing on the cake.

Ok, I'm anxious for the season to get started.

Let's see what we do in Free Agency. It will be our best indicator to how this new team of coaches and the front office are thinking, how they view the current team and point to the field positions they will likely be drafting for.

Back
Top Bottom