Miami Dolphins Safety Reshad Jones Voices Frustration Over Altered Role | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Safety Reshad Jones Voices Frustration Over Altered Role

Jones is playing on a terrible contract (thanks Mike!), he's getting old, his play is declining and now he's got an attitude problem. I say goodbye and thanks, it's time we play TJ at strong and Minkah at free which should allow him to reach his full potential.

By the way, just to be fair, a lot has been made about Gase's perceived inability to get along with players with strong personalities, and in most cases time has proven him right.

He tolerated Landry until that final mental breakdown in the 2nd Bills game last year, then Landry leaves and instead of only taking issue with Gase, he starts to fire shots at his former teammates, Jordan Philips confirmed how dumb he is just a few weeks ago against us, Ajayi is no longer relevant and there are rumors he's still a whiner. Not really sure any of those guys deserved to be kept.

The problem is that we're mis-using Minkah Fitzpatrick. Our defense should have Fitz playing FS and Jones playing SS, those are their best positions and where they'll each make the most impact. The problem with that is that it takes TJ McDonald off the field or forces him into a LB position. Plus, we lack CB's, so we're using Fitz as a nickel CB. While Fitz is very capable of playing that position, it leaves us without a true ballhawking FS and pulls Jones out of his natural SS position … all to get McDonald on the field. I say get another CB, play Fitz at FS where he can become an Ed Reed type and make much more of an impact, then let Jones return to his natural SS role where he can make a major impact again. The position Jones is complaining about playing is THE impact position on defense. It's the one that typically gets the most INT opportunities and lots of glory. It's a position that makes a lot of tackles and often runs the back end of the defense. Very few players complain about that role as it is the starring role. But, Jones is a natural SS, and makes more plays closer to the LOS, so that's where he wants to play--and where I want him playing as well.

Build your defense around putting your best players in their best positions. Trying to shoehorn 2 of your 3 best DB's into the wrong positions typically is not a recipe for success. In Fitz's case, there's a learning curve, and we should be working on him learning the FS position from day 1.

I'm with Jones on this one, he needs to be playing SS and we need to be training Fitz at FS. McDonald may have to sit, but given typical NFL injuries, it will not be too long. If Burke continues to misuse our best players, he needs to find another job.

Yeah and I’m not trying to start an argument with it but juice Landry isn’t dropping those balls that amendola did yesterday and he’s running thru a ton more contact. He’s gonna roll in for 6 on that one tight red zone drop.

It looks like we let juice go to pay dvp down the road and it appears he’s gonna waste his talent cause he doesn’t have the desire. At least in Miami he hasn’t found it.

Maybe we could get DVP more interested if we changed the ball on our offensive possessions to one of these.

SpongeBobFootball.jpg

The problem is that we're mis-using Minkah Fitzpatrick. Our defense should have Fitz playing FS and Jones playing SS, those are their best positions and where they'll each make the most impact. The problem with that is that it takes TJ McDonald off the field or forces him into a LB position. Plus, we lack CB's, so we're using Fitz as a nickel CB. While Fitz is very capable of playing that position, it leaves us without a true ballhawking FS and pulls Jones out of his natural SS position … all to get McDonald on the field. I say get another CB, play Fitz at FS where he can become an Ed Reed type and make much more of an impact, then let Jones return to his natural SS role where he can make a major impact again. The position Jones is complaining about playing is THE impact position on defense. It's the one that typically gets the most INT opportunities and lots of glory. It's a position that makes a lot of tackles and often runs the back end of the defense. Very few players complain about that role as it is the starring role. But, Jones is a natural SS, and makes more plays closer to the LOS, so that's where he wants to play--and where I want him playing as well.

Build your defense around putting your best players in their best positions. Trying to shoehorn 2 of your 3 best DB's into the wrong positions typically is not a recipe for success. In Fitz's case, there's a learning curve, and we should be working on him learning the FS position from day 1.

I'm with Jones on this one, he needs to be playing SS and we need to be training Fitz at FS. McDonald may have to sit, but given typical NFL injuries, it will not be too long. If Burke continues to misuse our best players, he needs to find another job.

I agree completely. Fitzpatrick should have started at FS from day 1. This team has a habit of playing players out of their natural positions. Like moving McCain from the slot to outside corner or playing Tunsil at LG instead of LT his first year. So if Fitzpatrick starts at FS next year, it will be like his first year all over again instead of already having a year under his belt playing that position in the NFL. Just like Tunsil struggling his first year at LT after starting at LG his rookie year. This coaching staff is a joke!

Does anyone remember me posting about how I liked TJ and how he was a bargain (at the time he signed) but didn't think the interchangeable safety thing (can't remember if it was Bowles or Joseph who came up with this ... but I believe Isa and a younger Jones were the pieces ... which worked) with 2 cookie cutter strongs out there made sense in today's league ... and got blasted for it? I remember like 1 person agreeing with me and a whole bunch of others insisting I didn't know what the hell I was talking about. I hate that I keep being right about this stuff.

ill plea the 5th on this comment, because due to alcohol I do not remember if I was that 1 person agreeing with you or not :-D

but this line gets me.....

“I’m here to play football and be coachable. Wherever they put me at, wherever they need me at is what I’m willing to do.”

then why the **** are you bitching again like always. obviously you're not over willing to do what they ask you since you've been bitching and half assing all season every since they asked you to do something you didn't like. I hope Burke and Jones are both gone next season. both sort of are getting the short end of the stick, and both by the front office and by injuries. I know in a way what the FO was thinking, but they were dumb ass hell for investing all out in a SITUATIONAL scheme. 2017 we couldn't do the 3 Safety look they wanted because of TJs suspension and Allens injury. this year we cant do it because who could've predicted that Lippett wouldn't recover properly, and Tank would suck. maybe that situational look would be good if the 5 DB's across the board panned out as Tank, Jones, Fitz, TJ, Howard....but then you are at the spot where you're paying McCain a boatload of money to sit on the bench because you are running your 3 safety set. maybe the thought going into season for base Nickel was Tank, Jones, Fitz, McCain, X....well we cant do that because automatically we are playing McCain out of position where he sucks, and you have 2 SS "cookie cutter Bob" who are only good at the same thing.

Injuries decimated the thought process behind this 3 Safety formation, but we shouldn't been putting so many damn eggs in that basket, its almost like if we draft a slot CB first next year saying that we will probably running the Dime formation 3% of the game.

I was the first to apologize after saying screw RJ after his shoulder injury or whatever it was when he came back and made 1 good play "I take back all the bad things I ever said about not needing RJ" but dang if you're a constanly complaining person then just leave, you're not going to be happy anywhere unless it 100% favors you

It's wrong for gim to go public but i consider it speaking for me. Gase won't change anything unless players start an attack and man, something has gotta shake cause our D is bad.

I'd be on board drafting another free safety. Let Minkah play SS in 2020 when McDonald and Jones are likely cut.

Minkah can play FS but I like him playing closer to the front. It would be neat having somebody with his skill set who can play close enough to the line to blow up screens but also cover slot or camp crossing routes.

Does anyone remember me posting about how I liked TJ and how he was a bargain (at the time he signed) but didn't think the interchangeable safety thing (can't remember if it was Bowles or Joseph who came up with this ... but I believe Isa and a younger Jones were the pieces ... which worked) with 2 cookie cutter strongs out there made sense in today's league ... and got blasted for it? I remember like 1 person agreeing with me and a whole bunch of others insisting I didn't know what the hell I was talking about. I hate that I keep being right about this stuff.

Id say more than a couple of us were beating the drum against the 2 SS philosophy. I honestly don't remember much support for it on the forums.

Id say more than a couple of us were beating the drum against the 2 SS philosophy. I honestly don't remember much support for it on the forums.

It was like the day TJ was signed and it was basically all support. 'We have our safety tandem for years to come.' 'Good luck getting by those 2.' 'See ya Allen!' Stuff like that. It was a long ass thread and I searched for it but couldn't find it.

There were even people saying McDonald has a better FS skillset. I didn't want to be a downer (again) so I wasn't gonna say anything but I couldn't let that one get by.

It was like the day TJ was signed and it was basically all support. 'We have our safety tandem for years to come.' 'Good luck getting by those 2.' 'See ya Allen!' Stuff like that. It was a long *** thread and I searched for it but couldn't find it.

There were even people saying McDonald has a better FS skillset. I didn't want to be a downer (again) so I wasn't gonna say anything but I couldn't let that one get by.

Gotcha...i was thinking more when it became clear that McDonald was definitely a SS. You were right...he's not a FS by any definition I know.

It sucks for the shitty contract we have Jones signed to that we can't get rid of him. Personally, I feel like he's one of the most overrated Fins players out there; outside of a few seasons, I've never cared much for him. Dude freelances a lot, then makes a big hit here and there, so we get a bunch of "ooo's" and "ahh's".

I'd love to dump him yesterday, and just stick Fitzpatrick at FS with TJM at SS. Jones is old, has a piss poor attitude, and has never been much of a team player. I hope we can find a way out.

Jones isn't wrong. We could quibble about him needing to suck it up, but he's acutely aware of what puts him in the best situation to succeed. When deployed correctly, as we have all seen, Jones can flat out make huge plays.

And, like everyone is astutely pointing out, Fitzpatrick was an exciting pick because of his range and smarts to play the back end at free safety. He has some Swiss army knife to him, which is a plus, but he can be our best deep coverage free safety since Brock Marion, and hopefully better than that.

With Baker here, it's tough to play three safeties like the college star or husky position. So, it's tough to play McDonald and Jones together. Jones is decidedly the better player, and certainly can be a playmaker, but he is more chronically banged up than TJ with his shoulder and probably less burst (due to physical toll) than he had 3 years ago.

The fact that it's a question is ridiculous. ****ING FIRE BURKE ALREADY!!! HE SUCKS. HE'S NOT A GOOD DEFENSIVE COACH. Jones is a bad ***. Put Jones & Minkah as the safeties. That's how it's supposed to be!! God....What whiny assholes this coaching staff. ****ing grow some balls and get rid of them already.

I hate to say it, but I agree. I've never seen a coaching staff have some many personal issues and vendettas against players. These are grown men, they should all be doing their job and going home to their families. Gase has created this "college culture" where guys have to fall in line with everything they say or do or they're considered disgruntled. The same thing happened Jay and Landry as well. As a fan, I just get tired of the BS. It's week 16 and guys still can't define their roles within the defense and offense. And it's not just the defense. Devante and Drake are both disgruntled as well. Drake gets 1 carry and Devante doesn't get a target Sunday. I honestly don't get it.... but if Ross has any type of smarts about him he has to be thinking that it all begins and ends with Adam Gase. It's time to move on from this regime... too many good players gone and thriving elsewhere because of petty ulterior motives.

Being right about what his role should be doesn't give Jones the right to take plays off or complain in public and cause problems in the locker room. You think Minkah doesn't know that boundary CB isn't the best position for him or that McCain wouldn't prefer to play in the slot? Team players man up and do what the team asks of them. We don't need another Ajayi.

Back
Top Bottom