Mike and Mike said.... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike and Mike said....

I think the Chargers would be idiots to let him go! Pure idiots!!!

My father tells me the same thing. He laughed at me when he made me explain myself for rooting on the Pats. He told me that I was ridiculous, that a 14-2 coach doesn't get fired. He doesn't own a computer nor do I even think he knows what the internet is so he doesn't get all the juicy inside info.

Yes! I would love to have Shottenheimer as the head coach of our team. He would build our team from top to bottom. Don't expect instant success but what we can expect is a team that is built well.

The man has actualized NFL experience.......not 4 yrs removed like Gailey.......is highly respected by everyone in the business including Don Shula who BTW also had the reputation of not being able to win the big one.....until he won the big one.

Also he knows our existing coaches and should blend in very well thus the transition should be relatively smooth.

IMO he is the best option out there
i didnt know that....

The man has actualized NFL experience.......not 4 yrs removed like Gailey.......is highly respected by everyone in the business including Don Shula who BTW also had the reputation of not being able to win the big one.....until he won the big one.

Also he knows our existing coaches and should blend in very well thus the transition should be relatively smooth.

IMO he is the best option out there

:yeahthat: :cool2: :adfin:

A big part of it is shelf life. I worry about Chan's shelf life due to the heart attack, but it's possible he could coach this team for a decade. Marty is a 3 year option before he retires as near as I can tell. I'd rather not be looking for a coach in 3 years, even if there is a strong internal candidate (Mike Shula) or a strong external candidate with ties to the regime (Brian Schottenheimer) waiting in the wings at that point.

I guess this is about as good as any reason to be worried. I really never give too much creedence to years down the line because for all we know today is it baby. But that's not always sensible. What is Marty, 64? Come on, 3 years is a gimme. He could do a plethora of good for this franchise in that time. And as you alluded to, for all you Brian JR lovers, the prnce would be awaiting patiently for the king to retire.

Marty would be a great guy to bridge the gap between where we are now and where we want to be. I think a year or two with him at the helm could be a great thing while we get our coach of the next decade in place.

Thumbs up for Marty!

Comparing Marty to Don in terms of lack of playoff success is absurd. Don went 2-3 in the playoffs in Baltimore and 2-2 in Miami before winning the big one. It took him a decade to get it done.

I think we all know what Marty's record is.

I agree. If I had to rank the options:

1. Marty Schottenheimer with Mike Shula as the assistant head coach.

2. Chan Gailey with Mike Shula as the assistant head coach.

3. Mike Shula

4. Jim Mora

5. Dom Capers

6. Cam Cameron

Count me in with this line of logic.

We could certainly do alot worse then Marty. Yeah the thought of going 14-2 and getting the number 1 seed after finishing 6-10 this year just sickens me.

IluvJuMiami said:
I'm beginning to notice that most of you guys won't be happy with anyone. At this point, with all the coaches that are candidates, Marty Schottenheimer is a godsend, freagin divine intervention, and the lot of you are still pissing and moaning. You should all get down on your knees and plead, beg to your creator that Marty Schottenheimer is the future head coach of the Miami Dolphins because as of 8:18 AM January 17, 2007 **** is looking grim.
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Amen brother....:wink:

Compared to our other options, Marty is easily the top choice we must look at. Personally SD would be idiots to let him go, but their loss is our gain. And this whole garbage about him not being any good because he hasn't won much in the playoffs. . . . just stupid. So if that philosophy is true then if we were given the chance to get Peyton Manning for nothing other than a normal contract cost, we should turn that down because he's a horrible QB because he can't make it to the superbowl, right? And Marino was a failure because he never won a superbowl, right? Marty would be a gift to fall in our lap if it happens. Let's also not forget about Rivera either. I really think he is a legit candidate, but we can't talk to him right now, so the press is ignoring him as an option. I don't think anything is done before this weekend. Even if Marty is fired, we'll talk to him first and wait to see how the Bears do before finalizing anything. What I'm REALLY worried might happen is that Chargers don't fire Marty (or wait on a decision) and the Bears win this weekend. If the FO panics, they could make a really bad decision and just hire one of the three (Gailey, Mora or Shula) just to be done with it. I hope not for the sake of us all !

I wouldnt be too upset if we got Marty. We can deal with the playoff loss when it comes. In the meantime, we can rebuild our team with confidence and be a better team because of him. Who knows? Phins may be where he finally wins it all (like Leyland with the Marlins).

Back
Top Bottom