Mike and Mike said.... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike and Mike said....

I like Marty, but his bad luck in the playoffs has to be taken into consideration,(isn't winning the SB the whole point) as well as his age. He's 65 yrs. old, how much can he have left in the tank. Are we suppose to throw the job at him, only for him to possibly relize he does'nt want to go at this rate anymore. What if he does build the team but can't get us any where? Then we're back to square one. I agree he's probably our best option, but that is what sucks about the whole situation, it's a bad year to need a HC.

Why don't we worry about winning a playoff game.... WHEN WE GET THERE?

Right now I would absolutely love ANY caoch that can right this ship and get us into the playoffs.

Of course not...what was I thinking. Marty had no say in the team's personnel. He just tagged along and rode the wave of everyone else's talents in SD, Cleveland and KC. He is talentless hack.

I stand corrected...

:lol:

The tradeoff with Marty is pretty obvious. He'll get the ship righted but that's all you can count on him for. It's a compromise choice that I'd be willing to accept if there really isn't a better option out there. The only option we're talking about that seems better is Gailey if you ask me.

Ya, I did'nt relize we had a QB as good as Rivers, a RB as good as LT, a FB like Neal, and a bad *** OL. Your right, Marty is all we're lacking!!! We'll be 14-2 next year if we get him.

Agree 100%. Although i still prefer Marty over Mora or Gailey. If indeed the statement turns out true, i'd be ok with it.

The man has actualized NFL experience.......not 4 yrs removed like Gailey.......is highly respected by everyone in the business including Don Shula who BTW also had the reputation of not being able to win the big one.....until he won the big one.

Also he knows our existing coaches and should blend in very well thus the transition should be relatively smooth.

IMO he is the best option out there

I AGREE.. Marty is the one to get if available..

The tradeoff with Marty is pretty obvious. He'll get the ship righted but that's all you can count on him for. It's a compromise choice that I'd be willing to accept if there really isn't a better option out there. The only option we're talking about that seems better is Gailey if you ask me.

I can understand how Gailey makes sense. But how anyone would want him over Schottenheimer is beyond me. My mind is entirely too minute to wrap itself around that concept. We're talking about a 9-5 college HC and a 14-2 pro HC... ouch, my head hurts.
:blowup:

:confused:
It's not that Shottenheimer is a terrible coach but having LT, Gates, Neal and a mean defense helps. He would definitely jump to the top of the list (along with Gailey)of candidates we have interviewed so far but I'm not really happy with any of the names out there. Slim picking if you ask me.

This is just backwards thinking that I will never understand. Because a team is succesful the coaches are discounted and it automatically becomes all about the players. Players play and Coaches coach, coaches put thier players in a position to be succesful and then it's the players responsibility to execute the plays to be succesful. One can't be succesful without the other both have to be good in order to be succesful.

Bad coaches = Ineffective players
Good coaches = Effective players

Marty would at least get us winning again. What happens next depends on how good he gets us, and luck. Let's face it, Marty has coached some very good teams, only to be bitten in the arse by luck in the playoffs.

Maybe this time, things would finally go his way w/ us?

That said - I think the Chargers would be idiots to let him go! Pure idiots!!! So what if the GM an coach don't talk. It seems to be working :lol:

He's good at rebuilding teams, but he gets out-coached in big games, and that is a problem. Don Shula wanted him here years ago. Maybe if he has a strong OC and DC things will be different in big games.

IMO, at this point Schottenheimer would be a coup. And really in just about any other year he'd be a coup too.

He's good at rebuilding teams, but he gets out-coached in big games, and that is a problem. Don Shula wanted him here years ago. Maybe if he has a strong OC and DC things will be different in big games.

Heck, Saban and Wanny were out coached in gimme games. :wink:

I can understand how Gailey makes sense. But how anyone would want him over Schottenheimer is beyond me. My mind is entirely too minute to wrap itself around that concept. We're talking about a 9-5 college HC and a 14-2 pro HC... ouch, my head hurts.
:blowup:

A big part of it is shelf life. I worry about Chan's shelf life due to the heart attack, but it's possible he could coach this team for a decade. Marty is a 3 year option before he retires as near as I can tell. I'd rather not be looking for a coach in 3 years, even if there is a strong internal candidate (Mike Shula) or a strong external candidate with ties to the regime (Brian Schottenheimer) waiting in the wings at that point.

Back
Top Bottom