Mike Gesicki, What’s The Plan? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Gesicki, What’s The Plan?

He needs to spend a helluva lot of time in the weights room to improve his physical strength. Progress in this area would mean that he could compete better in the one on one battles with defenders. He has natural speed and good hands. His obvious issue last season was physical strength.
I'm optimistic that he can make progress.

I'd trade him for a day three pick if possible & draft a another TE. Don't care about his talent. I've seen enough of his mentality. He's an oversized DVP; not a football player. Tired of these guys who lack heart.
I don’t think it’s his heart just his body mechanics don’t work for what the position resquires

Remember the game in which Tannehill threw the INT at the goal line in a horrible fade pass to Gesicki? Completely forced and obvious?

Yeah the coaches didn’t know how to do anything with him.

Gesicki
32 tgts, 22 rec 202 yds 9.2 y/r 0tds 12.6 ypg 68.8% catch

Goedert
44 tgts, 33 rec 334 yds 10.1 y/r 4tds 20.9 ypg 75% catch

You have to take into account their situations along with their stats. Goedert has pro bowler Ertz to learn from, and a much better offense/QB. Gesicki had nobody to learn from and was pretty much on display during training camp like the bearded lady instead of being developed properly. The offense was trash and his QBs were mediocre.

If you could get a decent pick maybe?

Damn didn’t even think about trading him until you asked. Why did you have to go there?

I would set the over/under trade value for MG at at the value of the 79th pick in the draft.

He’s got all that athleticism and a clean bill of health. Surely I/we believe a year in the weight room will showcase a completely different player.

I am not trading him for a late third, that’s for sure.

To all the people that start their post with "I preferred this player or that player over..." get over yourselves. We don't have that other player and you never would be making the claim if that player sucked and/or Glesicki had a breakout year.

Too early to call him a bust. And I think he won’t be a zero regardless. His physical metrics will allow for at least some production. His hands are solid and he’s tall and can jump, so the laws of physics tell you he will have production.

Now, will he have the physical toughness, feel, and quick twitch burst and suddenness to get open enough to be a high end TE? That’s questionable but he has this season to prove himself.

Will he just be a Coby Fleener and draw a paycheck but bounce around and not move the needle? I’m not even talking about blocking.

I think we will know this year based on how much improvement we see in production. If he doesn’t produce and Goedert continues to show the feel and knack for the tough catch (despite the presence of Zach Ertz, a top 3 TE), it will be painful.

But, this is a re-do anyway. Let’s hope that our two new hotshot personnel guys can inject some ability to execute sharp decision making in here.

The sad thing is, I feel like if he played up to the level of Coby Fleener id actually be happy and surprised, because his first season he really showed absolutely nothing.

His combine numbers and the video of him dunking are easily the most impressive things he's done. If I hadn't seen that video or known his combine numbers and that he was a second round pick I'd be thinking Coby Fleener is his absolute ceiling.

Put weight on to block and Gesicki will lose his natural ability, just like Dion Jorden when he put on weight to be 4-3 end.

He still has some value, trade him while you can get something back.

To all the people that start their post with "I preferred this player or that player over..." get over yourselves. We don't have that other player and you never would be making the claim if that player sucked and/or Glesicki had a breakout year.
I can't speak for everyone else but I'm on record before the draft saying I wanted us to draft Geodert if he was there. I agree tho that it doesn't matter now and all we can do is hope we can get something out of him.

There is no easy answer unfortunately w this guy. He really does not pass the eye test AT ALL. He just doesn’t look like a football player out there. Those attempted fades were as embarrassing as Charles Harris’ spin move that begins 10 feet in front of the O-lineman. Painful to watch this kid run a route.

However after drafting him in the 2nd and w that athletic ability you may have to give him more time though I’m not holding my breath that he becomes something.

I think you guys are all rushing to judgement before the evidence Is in. I thought that with Xavien Howard and was right. Just like I had belief in Howard when everyone was calling him a bust and a dumb draft move to move up and get him, I held the faith because I knew that it takes a while for press-man corners to adapt to the NFL.

Similarly, TE's take a while to adapt to the NFL. Even the very few exceptions to that rule will tell you that. Gronkowski was out his entire senior season with a back injury … so he had plenty of time to study, rest, and prepare for the NFL, and it helped his transition. Jimmy Graham--the best corollary for Mike Gesicki--will tell you that he ran around not knowing what he was doing as a rookie, and Drew Brees just made it work as he endured a painful growth curve during a super-successful rookie season. But even then, Graham was not asked to block at all. He was just struggling with the receiver portion of the job.

For everyone criticizing Adam Gase for Gesicki's development, I wholeheartedly disagree. I praise Gase for developing Gesicki into a full-service, well-rounded TE. Gase was trying to make Gesicki the next Gronkowski, not the next Jimmy Graham, and for that I applaud him. Gase stressed the grunt work of the blocking and insisted that Gesicki get that down before he was given many snaps as a receiving TE. It worked. Gesicki, who had not really even tried as a blocker in college, suddenly put in a lot of effort and improved significantly. He didn't become a good blocker overnight or anything, but he definitely improved. Adam Gase took a long term view of the player, and IMHO, that is the right approach. Gase fully expected to be leading the dolphins in 2019, when I think we will see Gesicki start to blossom.

As a receiving TE, Gesicki's head was spinning, as the information overload did to him what it does to almost every rookie TE, crams so much information into his head he is constantly thinking rather than instinctively acting/reacting. This means that his playspeed appears slow, despite his physical ability being extremely fast. It manifests itself in indecision rather than confidence, which translates to dropped passes and poor route running. We saw that from Mike in 2018 … and it was 100% typical of a rookie TE. But, as he learns the techniques so that they feel instinctual, learns the playbook so that he is merely acting and letting his natural athletic ability take over, and gains confidence so that he takes charge of what's happening rather than simply trying to keep up and make the right decision … we will see the player we drafted.

Remember, Mike Gesicki came to Penn State as a WR, so becoming a TE was new to him and blocking was something he rarely concentrated on doing. He wasn't asked to do it very often, so much of that required him to learn new things and practice a new way. He embraced it, and improved. As a freshman at Penn State he had bad hands, he dropped too many passes, and the fans let him know it. He vowed to improve, and by his last season he entered the draft as the TE with the highest percentage of catches per target. That means he had the best hands of all the TE's entering the draft … yes, that includes Dallas Goedert.

So why did Gesicki drop passes as a rookie? Because he wasn't playing at full speed with confidence. Rather, he was trying to decipher the play, concentrating on the route, and trying not to screw those things up, and when the ball came, he lacked the confidence to out-muscle DB's for the ball, despite having the physical ability to do so. It's normal, and to be expected. It is also something we expect to be fixed by year 2 or 3. Learning a new scheme this year will delay that learning curve a bit, but at some point this season I expect to see Mike Gesicki prove he was the clear best TE in that draft, and an excellent draft pick. He has the work ethic and elite athletic ability to become a dominant Jimmy Graham type TE, and I expect him to become that player as he lives up to his potential.

People criticizing Mike Gesicki now are rushing to judgement, IMHO. By the time his rookie contract ends I'm confident that we'll be super-excited about his play and very hopeful of re-signing him long term. But, the TE position takes time. It's not one of those positions like RB, where everything in college just translates. The TE position is ten times harder in the NFL than what is asked of TE's in college … and that takes time.

Jimmy Graham was helluva PF/C at UM before playing football. Any comparison to Mike Gesicki is weak.

Back
Top Bottom