Mike Gesicki, What’s The Plan? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Gesicki, What’s The Plan?

If we’re really taking a page out of the Pats playbook I’d imagine we see him getting moved around more to create mismatches when we get him on the field, and hopefully he becomes more reliable as a blocker in his second year so he can see more snaps and get more opportunities. I don’t see a new coaching staff giving up on a player with those measurables and that athleticism because he had an underwhelming rookie year.

I’m taking anything that happened last year with a grain of salt. There were plenty of players who were asked to do things that they weren’t skilled at doing. Mike Geisicki was one of those players. Let’s see if the new staff can use him properly.

I do hope so, but the tremendous liability inline makes him completely one dimensional, his route running is suspect, the movement isn’t sharp, so I believe the cover isn’t that difficult, the core strength isn’t there so being physical off the line isnt there..The run after the catch isn’t there because the coordination and agility in close quarters isn’t there..Also Digital, how many of those 22 catches were in garbage time..?

I don’t know if him being able to run free and jump and catch is all that appealing when I look at the overall picture of his game relative to what I could find with a third rounder, even a fourth..
I do not know how many of Gesicki's 22 catches or Goedert's 33 catches were in garbage time, and that's a good point. If you're interested in looking it up I would also be interested to see those numbers for each player.

We agree that when he arrived he was a tremendous liability inline, but it is worth noting that his blocking did improve tremendously, and while not great, is no longer a tremendous liability for a move TE. Few move TE's are good blockers, which is why most teams signal run/pass by the inclusion of a move TE or a blocking TE. If Gesicki becomes decent at blocking, he presents a real ability to disguise what we're doing. I doubt his blocking will ever come close to Rob Gronkowski's prowess, but I'm sure he can achieve a level that is better than most move TE's. We have had inline TE's who could catch a little, like Fasano and Sims, and hybrid TE's who did a little of both like Clay and Gray, but we have to go back to someone like Bruce Hardy to find someone who really did both. Depending upon how you view guys like Ferrell Edmunds, we've had some move guys who could block a little, but no real true two-way TE's. Making Mike Gesicki a true two-way TE was Gase's goal, and while Gesicki isn't there yet, the most foundational part is developing that work ethic and instilling the importance of being able to block that really can only be done as a rookie.

Almost every rookie TE's route running is suspect, that is to be expected. As for sharp movement, he's a 6'6, 250 pound guy with a long frame ,,, that's not going to be the body type that is explosive out of cuts to create separation. But, he ran a 4.5 forty, so he's got seam-threat speed and at 6'6 with a 41" vertical, long arms and big hands … he is the ideal seam threat. Too fast for most LB's and too tall for the DB's and fast LB's, plus he has longer arms and a more massive frame to come down with those contested catches. If you want sharp, throw the ball to Jakeem Grant or Albert Wilson … those are the guys who are sharp, but they're almost a foot shorter, with shorter arms and can't jump as high as Gesicki. Different types of mismatches. The quickness mismatches are sharp and explosive, such as Grant or Wilson. The size mismatch reaches places the defender can't reach. Having elite speed just makes the mismatch even more pronounced.

In the end, we all want the next Gronkowski--a guy who is dominant as a run blocker, effective as a pass protector, too big to be covered by DB's, too fast for LB's, strong as an ox and tremendously sure-handed. Gesicki isn't fully developed yet, and I doubt he ever becomes blocker that Gronkowski is … but he presents a bundle of skills that are stratospheric, slightly better than the athletic numbers posted by Jimmy Graham, and a work ethic to realize that potential. I'm happy with that and excited for where it leads. If we make a snap judgement on a position that takes a while to develop, that would be unwise, IMHO. Like I said with Xavien Howard, I believe in the guy. Let's give him time to develop and not rush to judgement just yet. The stats show he did better than most Dolphins rookie TE's tend to do, so why not give him a chance?

I appreciate this post, it’s detailed and you are going out on a limb with your projection and it’s clear, however I think the ones who didn’t want to draft him and had the same concerns before the draft are the ones that have legit concern now and are suggesting to try to gain an asset with the new regime, we all only want what’s best for the team, so trying to recoup instead of just hoping is the way to go in this specific case imo.

I’ve got to feel that in the front office it’s about analyzing every individual player, placing a value, figuring out if he’s our type of player and then either finding a role or finding out if we can gain an asset..
Looking at TE's over the last 10 to 20 years you don't see instant stardom. With the sophistication of the NFL game today, TE's are kinda where the rubber hits the road. WR's in college during the last 10 years have come a long way, and are much more able to hit the ground running as rookies. But, there was a time when it was expected that it took 3 years for a WR to adjust to the NFL game, because the college game and even high school games just weren't anywhere near as sophisticated. Today, both college and even high school teach those WR's more sophisticated routes and they're ready to make an impact even as rookies. But the TE position is still either a blocker or a receiver, and you just don't see guys skilled at both. Today it is treated as two positions, an inline TE or a move TE, with a precious few like Rob Gronkowski and Zack Ertz who can legitimately do both. But if a player can do both--and is willing to do both--he becomes a tremendous weapon for disguising the play and for running hurry-up offenses that specialize at catching defenses in the wrong personnel.

Mike Gesicki was a 2nd round pick, and it's unlikely another team would give us a 2nd round pick for a guy we're letting go who has such a tremendous upside. Teams know that other teams don't let players go without a good reason. I mean, it happens occasionally, but not often. The Falcons gave up on Brett Favre after a rocky rookie season, but that's the highest profile example I can think of at the moment. Trading high picks after 1 year always comes with a very strong buyer beware label attached to them, so value is hard to get, even during regime changes.

I will be shocked if the front office moves Gesicki. Looking at what a mismatch Gronkowski is in that Patriot offense and how, when healthy, he is Brady's #1 target, they're not going to find a prospect closer to Gronkowski's profile than Gesicki … just not going to happen. If they do, he's going top 15, so it will be in a future draft and we'll likely have to trade up for him. This front office isn't foolish enough to give up on that kind of potential for no good reason.

There’s nothing about his game that’s well rounded.

I don’t care how many 1000s of words you want to write
Everyone is welcome to their own opinion. You saw his potential even before we drafted him, and you're rushing to judgement. In fact, I think you even identified him as one of the TE's you really liked the year before he came out. So while you may have given up and determined after 1 season that he's not good enough … I disagree. Let's see how this plays out.

What kills me about Gesicki is how uncoordinated he looks on the field. Dude spends 1/3rd of the time flopping around on the ground and the other 2/3rds being bullied off his line and running like a drunk 3 legged baby Giraffe.

I will be shocked if he is still in the NFL in 4 years.
This made me laugh out loud - well-describesd :)

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion. You saw his potential even before we drafted him, and you're rushing to judgement. In fact, I think you even identified him as one of the TE's you really liked the year before he came out. So while you may have given up and determined after 1 season that he's not good enough … I disagree. Let's see how this plays out.

you got me confused with someone else

No reason to give up on a TE who is that athletically gifted after 1 season. TEs take time and Gase was a moron the way he used him

You guys realize the Pats traded out of their pick right behind us because we took Gesicki, right.

Well, we just hired half their staff in what seems like an occupation.

Weird how he underwhelmed when we tried to make him a blocker.

No reason to give up on a TE who is that athletically gifted after 1 season. TEs take time and Gase was a moron the way he used him

He's not though.

He is a testing Superstar, but none of it translates on the field. He's not fluid, he's uncoordinated, and he lacks agility. He's actually an awful athlete.

You guys realize the Pats traded out of their pick right behind us because we took Gesicki, right.

Well, we just hired half their staff in what seems like an occupation.

Weird how he underwhelmed when we tried to make him a blocker.

I was just going to mention that but u beat me to it lol. I also wanna add that if the Pat were high on Dallas Goedert like some of these posters are then they could of EASILY taken him right after we picked M.Gesicki but NO they IMMEDIATELY traded out of that position. That trade the Pats made was OBVIOUS who they were going to select until Miami snatched him :). Lets give the guy a chance to develop at his position to see what he is REALLY made of. Am expecting him to show major improvement this year compared to his rookie year.

I was just going to mention that but u beat me to it lol. I also wanna add that if the Pat were high on Dallas Goedert like some of these posters are then they could of EASILY taken him right after we picked M.Gesicki but NO they IMMEDIATELY traded out of that position. That trade the Pats made was OBVIOUS who they were going to select until Miami snatched him :). Lets give the guy a chance to develop at his position to see what he is REALLY made of. Am expecting him to show major improvement this year compared to his rookie year.
It was obvious? Does that mean every time a team trades out of their pick it's because the team in front of them picked the player they wanted?

Back
Top Bottom