New rumor and fins switch to the 4-3 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New rumor and fins switch to the 4-3

Me and my boy were flabergasted at what the raiders gave up for palmer. There is alot of stuff in the works. My source told me we need a good 4-3 to finally put a stake thru the heart of pats. Safety is also a big need that will be addressed. There is multiple senerio's going on for the draft and free agency. When we get closer to the draft i will announce our pick again.
What's the qb situation looking like?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Locke
Additionally, it's been well documented publicly by Ireland, and alluded to by Philbin, that they want to upgrade the pass rush. Stating that they plan to go after the best pass rusher on the market isn't a prediction, it's simply logical...

I could not possibly disagree with this more than I do.

Not trying to be disrepectful CK as I appreciate the knowledge and insight you bring a great deal, but I am wondering why you would disagree so emphatically with what Locke said in his post. We have a need for a pass rusher, so why would it be such a great stretch to say that it is logical that the Dolphins would be interested in Mario Williams?

I'm not implying your reason's for feeling this way are not justified, but I am just curious as to your line of thinking on this issue.

So surely you and your boy have talked about the QB situation as well. If we go hard after Williams as you suggest and get him signed, that will eat up a lot of our available funds....funds that many here were planning to use on a QB. So....specifically....you should be able to answer 1) Is Philbin high on Flynn enough to have him as our franchise QB? 2) What is the specific first plan of attack if we get Mario Williams? Manning / Flynn / draft...

Enduro, I truly want to give you the benefit of the doubt....so please give us something we have not heard or talked about.

This qb situation could go multiple ways and is still active. I will say that the original plan was to pick up flynn as he is plug and play with philbin. I will also say that ross would love to have manning. Additionally I will also say that miami is high on QB Ryan Tannehill. I was also told that we can afford mario and flynn on the same team. Nothing concerning the qb is clear right now so that all i can give you.

This qb situation could go multiple ways and is still active. I will say that the original plan was to pick up flynn as he is plug and play with philbin. I will also say that ross would love to have manning. Additionally I will also say that miami is high on QB Ryan Tannehill. I was also told that we can afford mario and flynn on the same team. Nothing concerning the qb is clear right now so that all i can give you.

What are our options at safety? Is Bell as good as gone?

This qb situation could go multiple ways and is still active. I will say that the original plan was to pick up flynn as he was plug and play with philbin. I will also say that ross would love to have manning. I will also say that miami is high on QB Ryan Tannehill. I will say that it has been told to me that we can afford mario and flynn on the same team. Nothing concerning the qb is clear right now so that all i can give you.

Thanks. I appreciate the reply. A lot of people assume just because we have Philbin that we will go after Flynn. BUT....none of us know if Philbin thinks Flynn can carry this franchise as the QB of the future. So, judging by your response, Philbin must believe Flynn can be the franchise QB we have been looking for.

If that's the case and we can get Flynn and Williams, I will be a very excited Dolphins fan heading into the draft.

What are our options at safety? Is Bell as good as gone?

All i can say is an upgrade at safety is at the top of the list besides qb. Hell when you think about it the safety is the qb of the defense.

I could not possibly disagree with this more than I do.

I could be thinking of something else in regards to Ireland, so that is a possibility. However, I'm pretty sure I remember reading a quote from him regarding wanting to help Cam Wake out. I know Philbin mentioned wanting an attacking defense that gets after the QB, which implies an upgraded pass rush.

If upgrading the pass rush is a priority, it would make sense that even if they don't plan on going hard after Mario Williams, they would absolutely inquire about his price. If for no other reason than to have a point of reference for negotiations with other potential FA targets. So, it's not much of a stretch to come out and say that they plan on pursuing him. If they so much as contact his agent once, it can be interpreted as pursuing him. The likelihood of that happening is high, regardless of if they are aggressive about it or not. It's a situation where it would be pretty difficult to be wrong with that prediction, all things considered.

I'd be interested in why you disagree, though...

Also, and admittedly this is me somewhat hoping he is wrong, the fact that they are rumored to be switching due to the Giant's success against the Patriots would be worrisome, to put it nicely. Seeing as the Patriots have carved up several teams running the 4-3, I think it would be obvious it isn't the 4-3 that they are vulnerable to, but the pass rush. The Giants probably have the best pass rush in the league. Pittsburgh beat them thanks to a voracious pass rush as well, and they run the 3-4. To completely revamp the defense based on what one team did to them is foolish. Honestly, that sounds more like a knee-jerk reaction than a well-reasoned one. If that truly came from our front office, then it's becoming painfully obvious why we continue to under-perform, despite being reasonably talented...

Not trying to be disrepectful CK as I appreciate the knowledge and insight you bring a great deal, but I am wondering why you would disagree so emphatically with what Locke said in his post. We have a need for a pass rusher, so why would it be such a great stretch to say that it is logical that the Dolphins would be interested in Mario Williams?

I'm not implying your reason's for feeling this way are not justified, but I am just curious as to your line of thinking on this issue.

No offense taken. Let me explain. The Dolphins need another pass rush presence, that much is obvious to anyone that pays attention, and sure enough Ireland himself said so.

But there are SO MANY ways to address that. Cliff Avril is a pending free agent. John Abraham is a pending free agent. Mark Anderson is a pending free agent. Robert Mathis is a pending free agent. You could draft Quinton Coples. Or Courtney Upshaw. Or Melvin Ingram. Or Nick Perry. Or Whitney Mercilus. Or any number or other pass rushers that Jeff Ireland could be in love with as a really underrated pass rusher that could be a threat opposite Cam Wake.

The point being, there are A LOT OF OPTIONS...and enduro has singled ONE option out as the one Miami is going to take. I've seen people hedge and speak generally and basically say thinsg without saying anything so that they can't be wrong. Saying the Dolphins are going to go after Mario Williams, when the Dolphins only have something like $9 million in cap space to spend on free agents...is NOT doing that. That is a horse of a different color.

I mean, maybe enduro is wrong. Maybe Miami doesn't get Mario Williams. But if we find out that Miami even jumped into the bidding for him, then to me, enduro was right...again. Just like he was right about Pat Devlin, Mike Pouncey, DeAngelo Williams and Carson Palmer.

LE: Williams
NT: Starks
DT: Odrick
RE: Wake

SLB: Misi
MLB: Dansby
WLB: Burnett

:loco:

Also, and admittedly this is me somewhat hoping he is wrong, the fact that they are rumored to be switching due to the Giant's success against the Patriots would be worrisome, to put it nicely. Seeing as the Patriots have carved up several teams running the 4-3, I think it would be obvious it isn't the 4-3 that they are vulnerable to, but the pass rush. The Giants probably have the best pass rush in the league. Pittsburgh beat them thanks to a voracious pass rush as well, and they run the 3-4. To completely revamp the defense based on what one team did to them is foolish. Honestly, that sounds more like a knee-jerk reaction than a well-reasoned one. If that truly came from our front office, then it's becoming painfully obvious why we continue to under-perform, despite being reasonably talented...

I also forgot to mention that since the 3-4 has become so popular there are actually more 4-3 compatible draft prospects available and you get better bang for your buck in the draft.

well i hope there's a backup plan for if/when mario williams gets tagged by the texans near the midnight hour on the opening of free agency...if he does get to free agency though expect a lot of teams to come a knockin if he can pass a physical nothing less than $65 mil over 5 years and $35 or so mil guaranteed is gonna get him inked on a contract...guys in their prime still and playin at a very high level don't come free very often and when they do people will pounce...

i still say he's getting tagged though by the texans if they can't reach a long term agreement...

as for the qb thing and enduro thats true and all with palmer but why didn't i read from him about how once camp began the plan was to go get kyle orton...considering that ireland was ready and willing to give in to ortons 3 year $27 mil extension demands to get it done???

as for interest in denagelo williams i think anyone who knows the market and free agency would have seen interest from us there and had it not been for the panthers rediculous contract they gave williams to retain him we would have been much more in play there...

no surprise ross wants manning...none at all there...he wants the sexy play

as for free safety enduro who's in play??? drop it on me cause i see a lot of guys who are gonna be overpaid in free agency at the position and no legit true stud

finally it seems like a foolish practice to me to target anyone this early in the game in free agency...as we get closer to that midnight opening guys are gonna drop like flies after signing extensions with their current teams or having tags placed on them...

So is Philbin really that high on Flynn?

No offense taken. Let me explain. The Dolphins need another pass rush presence, that much is obvious to anyone that pays attention, and sure enough Ireland himself said so.

But there are SO MANY ways to address that. Cliff Avril is a pending free agent. John Abraham is a pending free agent. Mark Anderson is a pending free agent. Robert Mathis is a pending free agent. You could draft Quinton Coples. Or Courtney Upshaw. Or Melvin Ingram. Or Nick Perry. Or Whitney Mercilus. Or any number or other pass rushers that Jeff Ireland could be in love with as a really underrated pass rusher that could be a threat opposite Cam Wake.

The point being, there are A LOT OF OPTIONS...and enduro has singled ONE option out as the one Miami is going to take. I've seen people hedge and speak generally and basically say thinsg without saying anything so that they can't be wrong. Saying the Dolphins are going to go after Mario Williams, when the Dolphins only have something like $9 million in cap space to spend on free agents...is NOT doing that. That is a horse of a different color.

I mean, maybe enduro is wrong. Maybe Miami doesn't get Mario Williams. But if we find out that Miami even jumped into the bidding for him, then to me, enduro was right...again. Just like he was right about Pat Devlin, Mike Pouncey, DeAngelo Williams and Carson Palmer.

I can't argue with your logic there at all CK. Thanks for the explanation. Up until this post I wished Williams was a possibly, but thought it more a reach or pipe dream considering the salary cap / QB issues. I was actually in the mindset that if we could get Cliff Avril, we would be in dang good shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom