NFL people offer cautionary warning to Dolphins. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL people offer cautionary warning to Dolphins.

Doing something like what Miami is doing isn’t something that can just be done at the snap of an owner’s fingers, you gotta be ready to piss off your players, and sell the tanking to your fans and find a coach that’s own board with a lot of losing. Tanking isn’t that simple. And with the nfl when you only have 8 games to make money, and you have empty seats...yeah this will not become a trend in the nfl.

It is literally being done at the snap of an owners finger. That is exactly what is happening now. The Dolphins are the test...you deal with it for year one, but you get that QB in that first draft and you don't have to worry about selling tickets. The Browns who went 0-32 still had 60,000 going to the game. People want to see NFL...

If tua comes out and we land the top pick no one will care.

Unless he refuses to play for us. That’s what this all should be about. Period

It is literally being done at the snap of an owners finger. That is exactly what is happening now. The Dolphins are the test...you deal with it for year one, but you get that QB in that first draft and you don't have to worry about selling tickets. The Browns who went 0-32 still had 60,000 going to the game. People want to see NFL...
The browns did not tank. They TRIED to win those games. If they lost games like Miami has this year for 32 games they would not have 60k at their games. Cleveland despite going 1-31 was competitive in a lot of those games.

'Most likely'? I disagree with that conclusion.

Are they 'guaranteed' to find players as good? Of course not. But it is entirely possible that they may well find better or more impactful players. Or at the very least players that better fit what they're trying to do and also buy into it.

What if they end up with, say, Chase Young or Grant Delpit with the pick they landed from PITT for Minkah?
What if 2 of the 3 picks they received from HOU over the best 2 drafts pan out?

Even if only 1 of the 3 is stellar, it still could be better than the players they had.
Yes, it's possible but Tunsil was rated as the #1 prospect by many when he came out. Houston's draft spot is to be determined, but I'd guess they win at least 9 games meaning maybe somewhere around 20. If you put all the picks together that they get from the Texans hopefully Miami will have three solid starters. I think that's the expectation. Drafting usually gets harder the further down you go in the first round. Grier hasn't fared as well lower in the draft so far.

I think Pittsburgh actually may end up 8-8 or a little worse. So for Fitzpatrick, Miami probably nets a middle of the round pick. Probably a good player.

My guess is Miami ends up with solid players and that's great, especially if they find a close to elite quarterback. Heck, Fitzpatrick didn't want to be here. Really talent player, who I liked a lot, but can't argue much with trading him after he said he didn't want to play for the Dolphins.

Lol..When did Fitzpatrick become Ed Reed that he can't be replaced?
In my opinion, Tunsil, Howard and Fitzpatrick were the three most talented players on the roster prior to those trades. I like Fitzpatrick a lot as a player, but I completely understand the trade. I'm disappointed that he didn't want to play here. Could the Dolphins end up drafting a better player? Of course that's possible. But I think it's more likely they get a solid player. If Pittsburgh has a losing season perhaps it ends up working more in the Dolphins favor.

It’s funny people keep saying Miami is letting all this talent go, they’re not scrubs to say but Miami had James, Stills, Wake, Tannehill, Minkah, Tunsil, Taylor and Kiko ALL on the roster last year and it was only good for 7-9. I’m not missing ANY of these players. No one from that group was elite.
Cam Wake was. But I’m glad he gets a chance w a team that could make the playoffs. He already has 3 sacks this year.

When your starting lineup only has a select few starting caliber players out of 22 it's very easy to see the math that even nailing every first and second round pick, plus a couple FA pickups (lol who would come here), the math just doesn't support having a competitive team. And that's if we nail the picks, which if our organization was capable of doing, we wouldn't have been in this situation in the first place. Not to mention that players will have a much harder chance of developing on a dysfunctional team. Not a shred of good is happening for those offensive players we have on the team right now since there are no running lanes, no time to develop passing routes, no consistent drives for guys to get targets, and no QB delivering the ball consistently.

I'm fine with not paying for mediocrity. I'm fine with capitalizing on someone else overpaying for good but not great talent. I'm not fine on stripping a roster of all but two or three talented players because this organization lacks the ability to draft or develop their replacements.

It’s funny people keep saying Miami is letting all this talent go, they’re not scrubs to say but Miami had James, Stills, Wake, Tannehill, Minkah, Tunsil, Taylor and Kiko ALL on the roster last year and it was only good for 7-9. I’m not missing ANY of these players. No one from that group was elite.

Most NFL rosters can fluctuate between five and eleven wins just because of coaching, finishing, and the right QB. We went from 1-15 in 2007 to 11-5 in 2008. We went from 4-12 in 2004 to 9-7 in 2005. We went from mediocre to the playoffs in Gase's first season. Miami's problem going on more than a decade now hasn't been that we can't find overall talent for our roster, it's that the coaches we have had have usually had their coaching skill fall off a cliff over their tenure, usually coinciding with them having to ship out some of our best players since they can't manage them.

All things considered, we actually went through a pretty solid retooling during Philbin's first two years. We cast aside some veterans but still kept a reasonably functional roster, identified young players we could build around and signed players to fill big holes, and we were on the cusp of making the playoffs the next two years except our coaching staff was filled with buffoons who lost so many games they should have won and couldn't teach our QB or team at large to finish.

What we're doing now, emptying the roster completely of talent (and at least for the moment playing a 36 year old QB instead of a young guy with upside) is nonsensical.

Nobody is comparing how the teams acquired the picks. The point is JJ had a ton of picks and a bad team and those picks were what helped turn Dallas into a dynasty in the 90s. Now Miami has a bad team and a ton of picks. Maybe more higher picks than Dallas had, I don't remember what all they received. Now they have to make these picks count like JJ did and if they do we're gonna be set up for years to come with some great teams.
He also already had Aikman, Irvin, Daryl Johnson, Mark Tuinei, Nate Newton, Jack Del Rio, Ken Norton, Kevin Gogan, Bill Bates, Ed Too Tall Jones, Jim Jeffcoat, Everson Walls, Mark Stepnowski, and Tony Tolbert already on the team. That trade facilitated major talent that was already there. We have nowhere near the talent the Cowboys had with several HOA players already on the roster. We are at completely different starting points than the Cowboys were. JJ also did not trade the other above mentioned talent to acquire more pics.

We aren’t fielding a competent NFL team. This is like the scrubs/scabs walkout year. It isn’t a legitimate product to sell. We are not trading for bodies to play now but future picks. It should not be allowed and they will address it, period. No one can be allowed to hoard picks and dominate a draft with this kind of dealing. It is corrupt and disingenuous and should not be allowed. Period. Hey, I’m a fan of this team. We have an unbelievable haul of picks and probably the pick of the best quarterback in the draft that will put our franchise on the map. A tremendous turnaround is possible, and I’m telling you, it should not be allowed to go down like this. It’s a blueprint that should have to be destroyed and not allowed in all fairness of parity. You compete and draft where you draft. You can not be allowed to throw a year for draft picks. Ridiculous to argue against that even if you are the recipient of this idiotic advantage.
You do realize the Colts and Browns tanks were just as, if not more-so, obvious than ours and nothing was done to penalize them, right?

Why start with us? We're only allowed to sell low on our players huh? The second we start getting the upper hand in trade negotiations is when the league should step in?

Give me a break man. Save it.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bigger obvious tank job than what miamis doing now.

I mean this is blatant and the product utterly unwatchable.

I just hope we get the pay off come 2020 draft.

If we start healthy scratching guys with phantom injuries as the season winds down lol

We aren’t fielding a competent NFL team. This is like the scrubs/scabs walkout year. It isn’t a legitimate product to sell. We are not trading for bodies to play now but future picks. It should not be allowed and they will address it, period. No one can be allowed to hoard picks and dominate a draft with this kind of dealing. It is corrupt and disingenuous and should not be allowed. Period. Hey, I’m a fan of this team. We have an unbelievable haul of picks and probably the pick of the best quarterback in the draft that will put our franchise on the map. A tremendous turnaround is possible, and I’m telling you, it should not be allowed to go down like this. It’s a blueprint that should have to be destroyed and not allowed in all fairness of parity. You compete and draft where you draft. You can not be allowed to throw a year for draft picks. Ridiculous to argue against that even if you are the recipient of this idiotic advantage.
Loop hole that I agree should be closed - but it isn’t so I am glad we are exploiting it - in the future there should be a lottery

The Pats exploit everything and we sit every one sits and watches - now we got an upper hand as long as we hit on the picks and spend wisely

Certainly not corrupt or disingenuous it is a tank job - the league saw this coming when Indy started Curtis Painter - so blame the league

Back
Top Bottom