NFL people offer cautionary warning to Dolphins. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL people offer cautionary warning to Dolphins.

Chris Mortensen "What about "the shield?"
Give me a break with that crap.
What a bunch of pompous BS. No one gives a rip about the Shield except fat cats in suits in NFL HC.

Heck ya the NFL is scared. The do not want folks emulating us. Bad for the product and bad for business. I get that.

Interesting points all around.

Finomel says we are cheating and I say what would you expect from a Patriots coach. Ha

Digital great points on value. Yes I believe Grier has gotten solid value on his trades but I then again I consider how we stole Tunsil in the draft when he slid to our pick and Fitzpatrick was a popular pick last year as he slid down to us. Then I look back on the Dion Jordan trade up news article where every coach, scout and Ross were in agreement and wild about and our GM Ireland got good value in that trade up but it was a poor puck at 3rd overall in the first round. So theres that side to consider.

Here is the point though that is being overlooked on this tanking. We do not know yet where we are headed but we should also know sooner than many may want to admit where our team is headed.

Here has been my point all along and its about the performance of both Grier and Flores. We should expect growth and performance from both of these guys this year starting this week. Aquiring takent doesn't magically have to wait until the off season and developing that talent should definitely not wait. I keep reading posts about who cares about the players on the team on this year because un 3 years they will be gone. I say BS to that because if that is true we have the wrong guys at the helm. There are good players on this team and that are available in the NFL that can be aquired and developed this year. Think of the Wakes, Welkers plus avton of free agent players we have had on this team that we dumped for nothing only to go on and have great careers on teams like the Patriots.

The players on this team right now are the players that Grier and Flores chose playing at the positions that Flores decided they should play. Sure many are cast offs or leftovers but I expect to see some keepers out of the bunch if Flores and Grier are doing their jobs properly.

The major roster churning should be over. Players should now be expected to know their playbooks and we should expect better blocking, tackling, throwing and catching the ball. By week 8 we should expect close games and a possible win. If not then its time to churn the top of the club and not just the players.

I completely get what they’re saying about trading away our drafted 1st picks for more 1st round picks BUT the trades the phins have yielded are no brainers.

Tunsil for 2 (1st) round picks and a 2nd round pick. Easy move.

Minkah didn’t want to be here, so we shipped off for another 1st, most likely around the same draft spot we got him at - 11th.

I keep seeing this comparison but it is apples to oranges. JJ traded away one player (Walker) and already had the likes of Irvin and Aikman on the team. There was already a lot of talent there. JJ traded away one player with a lot of talent on the team. He did not trade away Aikman, Irvin, or any other talent that he had on the team. We have traded away the most talented guys we have with hardly any talent left on the roster. 2 COMPLETELY different scenarios.
That trade brought Emmitt Smith,Darren Woodson ,Russell Maryland,Alonzo Highsmith and Kevin Smith

It's risky. Miami most likely won't draft a player as good as Tunsil or Fitzpatrick with the picks they obtained for them. Also, you've got to factor in some misses. But, if they nail the quarterback position that's a huge part of the equation. Got to have a top-10 caliber qb to compete.

Free agency will be interesting. The Dolphins have money to spend, but we've seen too much fools gold in free agency. Smart money there is on depth, not starters.

I agree wholeheartedly with the criticism. If we keep Grier we are doomed for more of the same.

Can we start a petition to have Chris Grier replaced by the end of this season? I dont want 5 more Charles Harris' or 5 more Mike Gesicki's or 5 more Michael Deiters or other scrubby/mediocre players this team has been laden with.

I want to pick the good players that are the obvious picks like Derwin James was or like Derrick Bennett was instead of Charles Harris or how Dallas Goedert was instead of Mike Gesicki.

Some will say this is revisionist history but some of us knew these things, said them before the draft and during the draft as it happened.

I want Tua with the 1st pick, a stud pass rusher with our 2nd pick, I want us sign proven free agent offensive lineman as well as drafting and turning every corner to fix the oline and find depth.

I want us to cut Bobby McCain and to find better better candidates for FS and slot corner. We need a star middle linebacker.

If we can do all of these things we will be set for a bright future.

Oh Okay. I am sure someone will get on all of your wants...;-)

We got money and pick so it should not take long to rebuild...they dont have long to win...I gives them 2 more ur. If they heading in right direction keep them. If not let them go. We should get some good players next 3 yr..

Last edited:
It's risky. Miami most likely won't draft a player as good as Tunsil or Fitzpatrick with the picks they obtained for them. Also, you've got to factor in some misses. But, if they nail the quarterback position that's a huge part of the equation. Got to have a top-10 caliber qb to compete.

Free agency will be interesting. The Dolphins have money to spend, but we've seen too much fools gold in free agency. Smart money there is on depth, not starters.

Lol..When did Fitzpatrick become Ed Reed that he can't be replaced?

The NFL doesn't want this to work. It would set a precedent that you see in other sports that stripping the roster, playing bad and reloading works. If it works out for Miami, you will see other teams follow suit and the NFL would have to respond. you could have a situation where you have three teams trying to do it at once and that would really **** up some things.

There is validity in what Dominik is saying. The Dolphins traded away their best offensive lineman and the second best player on their defense. Both of these players have the potential to be elite players for years to come.

While I understand that Fitzpatrick wanted to be traded. The fact is that the Dolphins are going to have to use first round picks in the next two drafts to replace these two quality players.

As was stated above, Jimmy Johnson turned his abundance of draft picks into a championship team years ago. Yet the reality is that history clearly shows that the majority of teams with multiple picks in the first rounds have not had much success in using these multiple picks to select players who upgraded their teams over the course of their careers.

Hopefully the Dolphins can use these draft picks they received from the Texans and Steelers to draft players who are as good as the players they traded to get these first round picks.

The NFL doesn't want this to work. It would set a precedent that you see in other sports that stripping the roster, playing bad and reloading works. If it works out for Miami, you will see other teams follow suit and the NFL would have to respond. you could have a situation where you have three teams trying to do it at once and that would really **** up some things.
Doing something like what Miami is doing isn’t something that can just be done at the snap of an owner’s fingers, you gotta be ready to piss off your players, and sell the tanking to your fans and find a coach that’s own board with a lot of losing. Tanking isn’t that simple. And with the nfl when you only have 8 games to make money, and you have empty seats...yeah this will not become a trend in the nfl.

Actually the Dolphins are doing exactly what the Browns and the Raiders have done in recent years.Last year the Raiders traded their best defensive and offensive player during the season for draft picks.

The Browns tanked for two years in a row while getting high draft picks and spending little of their cap space to be able to acquire the talent they now have on their roster.

The Colts also tanked their seasons twice to be able to select Manning and then Luck several years later.

The only difference in what the Dolphins are doing and what the Raiders, Browns, and Colts did in the past is that the owners of these teams never admitted they were going to lose in an effort to improve for the future. At least Ross was man enough to tell everyone that this was going to be a rebuild and fans would just have to deal with it.

It's risky. Miami most likely won't draft a player as good as Tunsil or Fitzpatrick with the picks they obtained for them.

'Most likely'? I disagree with that conclusion.

Are they 'guaranteed' to find players as good? Of course not. But it is entirely possible that they may well find better or more impactful players. Or at the very least players that better fit what they're trying to do and also buy into it.

What if they end up with, say, Chase Young or Grant Delpit with the pick they landed from PITT for Minkah?
What if 2 of the 3 picks they received from HOU over the best 2 drafts pan out?

Even if only 1 of the 3 is stellar, it still could be better than the players they had.

Back
Top Bottom