Offical NBA DRAFT thread | Page 30 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offical NBA DRAFT thread

Ok. I think I now understand on why Van Gundy made this deal. The deal won't be annouced until mid July because of Battier's contract.

But here is what I'm thinking here.

Van Gundy wants to win now. He doesn't want a rookie like Gay to where it will take a year or two before he can produce in the NBA. He wanted a proven guy and a guy who can play defense well like Battier. So he wants to win now. By that, you got to have proven guys that will know what they are doing. Don't get me wrong here because I think Gay will be a very good player, but the question for me is how long will it take for me to become that good player in the leauge?

Swift was also apart of this deal. Swift has been nothing but a bust for us and he's dumb as a rock. Van Gundy doesn't want guys who doesn't have a smart IQ of basketball like Swift. Plus, it will free us some cap room and beable to sign another good FA.

So in conclusion, Van Gundy did this move for two reasons. 1. He wants to win now with proven players and wanted to get a defensive guy who does the little things that coaches like in players. 2. He wanted to free up some cap room to be able to bring in another good player.

This move is really a wait and see move. It will all depend on how Gay does his rookie year to see if this was a horrible trade or not. This move is bad for the future, but not for the present IMO.

Ace88 said:
Ok. I think I now understand on why Van Gundy made this deal. The deal won't be annouced until mid July because of Battier's contract.

But here is what I'm thinking here.

Van Gundy wants to win now. He doesn't want a rookie like Gay to where it will take a year or two before he can produce in the NBA. He wanted a proven guy and a guy who can play defense well like Battier. So he wants to win now. By that, you got to have proven guys that will know what they are doing. Don't get me wrong here because I think Gay will be a very good player, but the question for me is how long will it take for me to become that good player in the leauge?

Swift was also apart of this deal. Swift has been nothing but a bust for us and he's dumb as a rock. Van Gundy doesn't want guys who doesn't have a smart IQ of basketball like Swift. Plus, it will free us some cap room and beable to sign another good FA.

So in conclusion, Van Gundy did this move for two reasons. 1. He wants to win now with proven players and wanted to get a defensive guy who does the little things that coaches like in players. 2. He wanted to free up some cap room to be able to bring in another good player.

This move is really a wait and see move. It will all depend on how Gay does his rookie year to see if this was a horrible trade or not. This move is bad for the future, but not for the present IMO.[/quote]

He'll have a decent rookie year depending on if he feels like playing. If he played like he did for Uconn then he'll be nothing in the NBA. if he decides to actually use his skill and atheletic ability he could be a superstar.

nyjunc said:
Keep this in mind. As "great" a shooter as redick was in college he shot 40% from 3 while Redd in the NBA shoots 39% from 3 and that's w/ the line being further back against better athletes defending him. Unless Redick is wide open he is going to be a disaster in the NBA. too slow, won't have the duke calls and struggles in big games. W/ Howard developing he might be able to help him get free but we'll see.

McCants might be out for the year as he just had microfracture surgery on his knee.

Like how to choke in the tourney? Like how to act like he gets fouled when he doesn't get touched?

come on, JJ takes terrible shots. it's why this "great" shooter was just a 40% shooter from 3 and never even led his conf in 3P shooting.

how is a 40% shooter better than the players in the last 7? he wsn't betterb than McCants in any of their 3 years playing in the ACC together.

JJ is Trajan Langdon part II.

People like to compare JJ to Steve Kerr syaing JJ can have that type of impact if he's surrounded by great players like Kerr was but in kerr's 1 yr w/ the 3 pt line in college he shot 57% from 3 while JJ's career high was 42 or 43%.

Yeah, there's NO UNC bias in this post. :rolleyes2

Man, Otis Smith should have called you before the pick.

nyjunc said:
come on, JJ takes terrible shots. it's why this "great" shooter was just a 40% shooter from 3 and never even led his conf in 3P shooting.

JJ was also the main guy and had to carry that team, and had to create his own shots for the most part, something hes not great at, so his shot selection wasnt as good as it should have been. He'll have alot more open shots in Orlando compared to Duke.

Couple things:

1.I think the Rockets are dumb not because they traded Gay (I'm not a huge Rudy Gay fan anyways), but because they're going to trade a highly talented prospect and Stro Swift (who will probably in turn get traded) for Shane Battier and nothing more. They should've atleast got another player like Warrick, Wright, or Jones, and maybe even a future pick. Battier is a good player to have on your team, but is not a 3rd option (he was his rookie year, but that's it).

2.With all that being said, Gay should be happy he's getting traded to Memphis (because of Battier's contract the trade can't be finalized till July 12). He can develop his game at his own pace since Gasol,Miller,Stoudamire,and Jones will all get the offensive call before him. One of the few places where Rudy will see instant success.

3.Staying with the Grizz, getting Lowry and Johnson was also great for them. Both could, and should, be in the rotation next year.

4.Knicks.... Bulkman is a decent player, but wow.

5.There are several undrafted players (Gansey,Washington,Horton,Pittsnoggle,Ray) that will get more PT than most of the second round picks.

6.Steven A Smith and Greg Anthony should never do a draft show again.

how was JJ not the best 3p in his confrence any year? HE HAS THE MOST 3P'S IN NCAA... EVER

ChambersWI said:
Couple things:

1.I think the Rockets are dumb not because they traded Gay (I'm not a huge Rudy Gay fan anyways), but because they're going to trade a highly talented prospect and Stro Swift (who will probably in turn get traded) for Shane Battier and nothing more. They should've atleast got another player like Warrick, Wright, or Jones, and maybe even a future pick. Battier is a good player to have on your team, but is not a 3rd option (he was his rookie year, but that's it).

2.With all that being said, Gay should be happy he's getting traded to Memphis (because of Battier's contract the trade can't be finalized till July 12). He can develop his game at his own pace since Gasol,Miller,Stoudamire,and Jones will all get the offensive call before him. One of the few places where Rudy will see instant success.

3.Staying with the Grizz, getting Lowry and Johnson was also great for them. Both could, and should, be in the rotation next year.

4.Knicks.... Bulkman is a decent player, but wow.

5.There are several undrafted players (Gansey,Washington,Horton,Pittsnoggle,Ray) that will get more PT than most of the second round picks.

6.Steven A Smith and Greg Anthony should never do a draft show again.

Yeah i was wondering why Gansey,pittnoggle and ray (haven't seen much of washington or horton)didn't get drafted. Did i miss something but i thought they were all pretty good in college but yet guys i've never heard of from other countries got picked over them.

Quien said:
how was JJ not the best 3p in his confrence any year? HE HAS THE MOST 3P'S IN NCAA... EVER

Because he had the most attempts but didn't have a great average.

MARINO1384 said:
Yeah i was wondering why Gansey,pittnoggle and ray (haven't seen much of washington or horton)didn't get drafted. Did i miss something but i thought they were all pretty good in college but yet guys i've never heard of from other countries got picked over them.

a lot of teams just draft foreigners so they can stash them overseas and home they work out.

Gansey,Pittsnoggle, and Washington will all make teams this year.

I am a UNC fan... but even I can admit JJ is one hell of a shooter.

I didnt like him as a pro prospect... because he cant create his own shot. However, I think he will be money in Orlando because of Dwight Howard. They can run the in-and-out offense real well... especially when Dwight starts getting doubleteamed this season...

MARINO1384 said:
haha

Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge

Then Telfair and Ratliff to Boston, Viktor to Chicago
http://www.nba.com/images/blank.gif
With Picks 30 and 31 the Portland Trail Blazers selected Joel Freeland (center from England) and James White (shooting guard from Cincinati). In addition to those picks the Portland Trail Blazers also acquired Sergio Rodriguez (PG from Spain) from Phoenix in exchange for cash.

The Trail Blazers then traded James White to the Indiana Pacers for Alexander Johnson (#45) and 2nd round picks in '07 and '08.
alexander johnson was traded,i forget to who but for a future 2nd round pick.

i could name everyone on the team its not hard and their moves werent even confusing.

Quien said:

% wise he wasn't the best. He shot a lot more than he made.

culpepper2chambers said:
alexander johnson was traded,i forget to who but for a future 2nd round pick.

i could name everyone on the team its not hard and their moves werent even confusing.

idk that's what i found on the trail blazers website this morning.

well he made more than anyone so they can kiss his ***

Quien said:
well he made more than anyone so they can kiss his ***

Yeah, when you shoot as many as he does. You should be able to make a lot.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom