*** Official Miami Dolphins @ Jacksonville Jaguars Game Thread *** WK3 Thursday Night | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Official Miami Dolphins @ Jacksonville Jaguars Game Thread *** WK3 Thursday Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
wasn’t the d better during the 5 of 7 games win streak last year? I think it might have been. I don’t know. I was largely about draft pick and getting a damn difference maker at qb.

if I could have hopped in a time machine I would have. I’m ready to hop in another one now until tua plays too. Cause this is going nowhere with fitz

I know they needed lucky bounces to beat really poor teams. The Colts game in particular comes to mind. Otherwise it was the offense either keeping the defense off of the field it bailing them out. Like the patriots, eagles, Jets, and Bengals games. Not one of those games did the defense adjust or make positive changes. Just the same thing the whole game.

I’m with you on the time machine. I only watch because if the high likelihood of Fitz dropping a stinker or getting hurt and Tua goes in. If I knew which week that was going to be I’d play golf and save myself the frustration of watching the groundhog’s day edition of the Miami Dolphins defense.

wasn’t the d better during the 5 of 7 games win streak last year? I think it might have been. I don’t know. I was largely about draft pick and getting a damn difference maker at qb.

if I could have hopped in a time machine I would have. I’m ready to hop in another one now until tua plays too. Cause this is going nowhere with fitz
In those last 9 games where we went 5-4 last year the defense was giving up 28.4 ppg. Comparatively speaking, yes it was better than the first 7 games (34 ppg) but it still sucked. During those 9 games we held the opponent under 20 points twice (both wins...Jets, and Indy). Dolphins spent a ton of money and through two games this year they've given up 52 points (26 ppg) so a slight improvement. Spend another $100 million next year on defense and we just might get the defense to keep teams under 24 ppg.

In those last 9 games where we went 5-4 last year the defense was giving up 28.4 ppg. Comparatively speaking, yes it was better than the first 7 games (34 ppg) but it still sucked. During those 9 games we held the opponent under 20 points twice (both wins...Jets, and Indy). Dolphins spent a ton of money and through two games this year they've given up 52 points (26 ppg) so a slight improvement. Spend another $100 million next year on defense and we just might get the defense to keep teams under 24 ppg.

thanks for clearing that up. Appears the d has always sucked in Miami. lol. I thought tannehill leaving would fix that.

except we don't have 100mill to spend under the cap next year. Nope, at some point you have to draft better which is something this team hasn't been able to do in like 30 years

It seems there's a lot of negativity. Were a lot of ye expecting us to be immediately competitive against playoff teams early this year, out of interest? I wasn't. Still painful to watch, and I'm grumbling like crazy when I do. But I still, probably naively, have hope.

It seems there's a lot of negativity. Were a lot of ye expecting us to be immediately competitive against playoff teams early this year, out of interest? I wasn't. Still painful to watch, and I'm grumbling like crazy when I do. But I still, probably naively, have hope.
Hope is what has kept us around for the last 47 years. We all have hope that one day we will turn it around. In the meantime is hard to wait and wait and wait when all you see happening is the same thing year after year. It's not about being negative. it's about being realistic. Right now we're not a very good football team and saying that is not being negative but rather we're just being honest.

Sadly Howard is no longer a top tier NFL corner

He's not and I think that should be the consensus. Health is clearly a factor in this, and when if ever is he fully healthy and atop his game? 2018?

Would trade him for a day 2 pick in a heartbeat.

Here's the thing dirkey...I'm old school. I like defense and the last time the Dolphins had a top 10 defense was 2010. I think, and I'd have to look this up to verify again, we have had two defense ranked above 20th since then...the majority of our defenses have been 29th or lower over the last 6 years. It would just be nice to know that if we take a lead our defense is going to hold it and not have to feel like they're just going to let the team down again.

Boss is a Jags season ticket holder, I'm going to the game with him tonight. Fairly certain I will be showing up to work tomorrow bearing a striking resemblance to Mr. Nolte's mugshot to the left over there. Every time I walk in that place and look at the field all I see is Marino standing by himself on the sideline during 62-7 with his helmet off, the last few moments of his brilliant career ticking away, I have no idea why I keep going to that hell hole.

Sadly Howard is no longer a top tier NFL corner
He missed most of training camp and was on PUP...he was only taken off PUP about a week before the first game. There's no way he's in game shape or close to ready. He's also not the #1 CB anymore...Byron Jones is the #1 CB and has the assignment of taking on the best WR for the opposing team. Jones was supposed to be on Diggs in the last game but got hurt after a dozen or so snaps.

However, I do think Howard struggles a big against smaller, quicker, and faster receivers. He does much better against the bigger receivers in the league. But like Preston Williams who's coming off ACL injury and doesn't seem to be mentally ready to test his knee...Howard needs some time.

Here's the thing dirkey...I'm old school. I like defense and the last time the Dolphins had a top 10 defense was 2010. I think, and I'd have to look this up to verify again, we have had two defense ranked above 20th since then...the majority of our defenses have been 29th or lower over the last 6 years. It would just be nice to know that if we take a lead our defense is going to hold it and not have to feel like they're just going to let the team down again.
It has been a while since we've had at least an average to above average Defense. I think we are 3-5 players away from having a solid D. We need 2 on the D-Line, 1-2 LBs, and a FS. Our DB's aren't getting the benefit of any pass rush form the DE's. We need at least an Avg DE and a great DE. Right now, we have poor DE's. Having a legit FS would help too, especially since we've had to drop a Safety into the box to help with the read options.

It has been a while since we've had at least an average to above average Defense. I think we are 3-5 players away from having a solid D. We need 2 on the D-Line, 1-2 LBs, and a FS. Our DB's aren't getting the benefit of any pass rush form the DE's. We need at least an Avg DE and a great DE. Right now, we have poor DE's. Having a legit FS would help too, especially since we've had to drop a Safety into the box to help with the read options.
This defense would look night and day different if Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas were playing in it. A really good DE and a real MLB to QB the defense would be huge.

If this was a full week I would like our chances better. It's still a winnable game, but road games on Thursday are a tough ask of anyone.

Hope is what has kept us around for the last 47 years. We all have hope that one day we will turn it around. In the meantime is hard to wait and wait and wait when all you see happening is the same thing year after year. It's not about being negative. it's about being realistic. Right now we're not a very good football team and saying that is not being negative but rather we're just being honest.
It's true, you are being honest.

But, my question is ... were you expecting different to start the year?

This defense would look night and day different if Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas were playing in it. A really good DE and a real MLB to QB the defense would be huge.
They were great players. A couple of my all time favorite Phins, but let's not overstate it.

Those defenses wilted in crunch time on an perennial basis too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom