**Official Mini Camp Reports Thread - 6/10 Morning** | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

**Official Mini Camp Reports Thread - 6/10 Morning**

The deep passing game is something you have to work on early and often to get it working. This was the fundamental flaw in our offense since...well, probably since Dan was here. It isn't just about the quarterback overthrowing or underthrowing. There is a lot of timing to be worked out between the wide receivers and the quarterback. There is a lot of timing to be worked out simply in the offense itself, the very nature of the routes the WRs run and how to run them, since every QB is different.

If you want to build a deep passing game from the ground up, you need to build it on a foundation of a LOOOOT of overthrows and underthrows in camp.

God I remember every time I went to minicamp or something it seemed like they spent 70% of the time working on short dump passes to the runningbacks or screen passes. Now, it is understandable that those kinds of passes you need to work out a lot of technique and timing to get them to work, but it always frustrated me that we hardly worked on the deep ball. IMO, the deep ball can't be something that you just work on from one week to the next depending upon the strengths and weaknesses of the opponent you face in a particular week. You can't just say, hey, we're playing Dallas this week, and they have a suspect secondary, so let's work on the deep ball. It has to be something you've spent a LOT of time on during minicamps and training camp.

greatwade said:
A little bit more everyday, I'm ticked about the Feeley pick up. One of the biggest problems I have with him, and Nick Saban specifically addressed this personality trait at the banquet. "Even when things aren't going your way, even when you are banged up a bit, you are NOT to show frustration or pain, outwardly, or your opponent will be energized and pick up on it like a shark on blood". Feeley is the poster child for WHAT NOT TO DO. Whether it be his hand or *** or emotions (some of you may say this is great). He didn't even appear interested all that much at the banquet. I sat 10 feet from him, and watched him most the time. I just think he's a bit soft. I really hope Gus can take over... Sorry if this is off topic. My $.02. Couldn't make it to today's sessions...

Just curious, was the banquet open to the public? Or did you get a special hook up?

:)

PS, I'm not sure I like the idea of having all of the minicamp reports shoved into one thread that ends up 250 posts long. That is a lot of posting to scroll through in order to find the minicamp reports.

If I remember correctly, last season we organized the camp reports into almost like it's own forum, where camp "reporters" could post their threads with the initial thread being the minicamp report. If we can't do that again, then I think we ought to NOT merge all of these threads together. Let FinHeaven posters browse through the forum and pick the minicamp report thread they want to read, and if there are multiple reports on the same camp (as there are bound to be) you shouldn't make people scroll through like 200 posts to find the 3 different camp reports.

Just my thoughts.

greatwade said:
A little bit more everyday, I'm ticked about the Feeley pick up. One of the biggest problems I have with him, and Nick Saban specifically addressed this personality trait at the banquet. "Even when things aren't going your way, even when you are banged up a bit, you are NOT to show frustration or pain, outwardly, or your opponent will be energized and pick up on it like a shark on blood". Feeley is the poster child for WHAT NOT TO DO. Whether it be his hand or *** or emotions (some of you may say this is great). He didn't even appear interested all that much at the banquet. I sat 10 feet from him, and watched him most the time. I just think he's a bit soft. I really hope Gus can take over... Sorry if this is off topic. My $.02. Couldn't make it to today's sessions...

I played professional baseball (just minors, tore my shoulder..end of career) and was a pitcher. I can tell you first hand that showing your emotions and being frustrated is something that can be fixed through coaching and awareness. Just recognizing it is the key and working on it in practice will help with that. It's something that can be fixed, so I wouldn't get too caught up in that, especially since Saban has already (indirectly) identified it.

greatwade said:

So any QB that gets beat up that bad is not supposed to show how bad they are hurt? When you are playing injured you are not going to be all jumping around and happy. When you get hit while injured it hurts even more every time.

ckparrothead said:
Exactly. Sorry AtlantaPhins but you are wrong. Red jerseys mean no-touchy because you're injured. I am just surprised that Saban put the red jersey to so much use during these camps. I think it's pretty evident of Saban's policy on camps and practices which is high tempo but low impact.

If you are still unconvinced, AtlantaPhins, then check this link out, about how Charles Rogers of the Lions was wearing a red jersey but exchanged it for a blue jersey, like the rest of the offense wears...

http://www.detnews.com/2005/lions/0506/07/D03-206412.htm
Not saying I disagree with you but I have seen Miami in prior camps use a red jersey during a drill for a LB or CB to emphasize their location on a play. In this case the red jersey refers to red dog which is what a blitzer is sometimes called.

The original poster said Moore was wearing a red jersey during a drill so I thought that might be why he was wearing it. It is common knowledge that when a QB and other players wear a red jersey it means no contact. Didn't sound like that was the case with Moore because it sounded like he was participating in contact drills.

ckparrothead said:
PS, I'm not sure I like the idea of having all of the minicamp reports shoved into one thread that ends up 250 posts long. That is a lot of posting to scroll through in order to find the minicamp reports.

If I remember correctly, last season we organized the camp reports into almost like it's own forum, where camp "reporters" could post their threads with the initial thread being the minicamp report. If we can't do that again, then I think we ought to NOT merge all of these threads together. Let FinHeaven posters browse through the forum and pick the minicamp report thread they want to read, and if there are multiple reports on the same camp (as there are bound to be) you shouldn't make people scroll through like 200 posts to find the 3 different camp reports.

Just my thoughts.

agreed. It is not like seperate posts are annoying

Not saying I disagree with you but I have seen Miami in prior camps use a red jersey during a drill for a LB or CB to emphasize their location on a play. In this case the red jersey refers to red dog which is what a blitzer is sometimes called.

The original poster said Moore was wearing a red jersey during a drill so I thought that might be why he was wearing it. It is common knowledge that when a QB and other players wear a red jersey it means no contact. Didn't sound like that was the case with Moore because it sounded like he was participating in contact drills.

I've never seen or heard of this before, but I guess I would have to take your word for it. In this case, Moore is wearing a red jersey because he was injured, as is Boston, as is Akins, etc. QBs often wear the reds too.

TGall13, I suppose you are right. But just the fact that his attention wasn't even 100% when his head coach and teammates were speaking bothered me.

The first hand accounts of him not doing well under pressure here at the first camp got me thinking... maybe he's not very coachable??

Who knows. His date was pretty hot, maybe that's why he couldn't pay attention. Swear to goodness, she was looking over at me, and I smiled back. I could see him getting pissed at me.

Gitrdone said:
So any QB that gets beat up that bad is not supposed to show how bad they are hurt? When you are playing injured you are not going to be all jumping around and happy. When you get hit while injured it hurts even more every time.

It's a body language thing...as a QB/leader you have to be able to disquise it and Feeley just needs to do a better job at that. He's shown he's tough, no doubt, but he does need to hide his injuries better. I'm not saying it's an easy thing to do, but it can be fixed.

greatwade said:
TGall13, I suppose you are right. But just the fact that his attention wasn't even 100% when his head coach and teammates were speaking bothered me.

The first hand accounts of him not doing well under pressure here at the first camp got me thinking... maybe he's not very coachable??

Who knows. His date was pretty hot, maybe that's why he couldn't pay attention. Swear to goodness, she was looking over at me, and I smiled back. I could see him getting pissed at me.

So first your dissing on Aj, now your hitting on his girlfriend?? :)

Gitrdone, some can maintain a "poker face" composure even when severely injured. The point was more towards frustration/elation than injury. But still, admit he's got a lot to learn. TGall13, makes an excellent point. I hope Feeley can absorb some of Saban's psyche.

greatwade said:

Ya, banquets suck though...been to a few. I know what you mean though regarding the attention issue. As a fan you want the guy running your team to set a good example. Who knows how this will all play out, but I have faith in Saban to do whats right. He seems like someone who pays attention to detail. Feeley is a smart guy. I'm sure those things won't go un-noticed and will be dealt with.

As far as his date checking you out, was it not Heather?? Didn't know they split up?

Back
Top Bottom