OL question | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OL question

Last season our OL changed to a zone blocking scheme. This is a major change with some not able to do it. McD new this and added two FAs who, with his former RBs made us respectable n run and Pass protect.

The two FAs played well along with Hunt but they were already good. He counted on the OL coach to develop and make the others better. This never happened. There was little or no improvement. McD made a mistake in hiring but was quick to correct by replacing him this year.

I have to give our guys this year to show something and it is a contract year for Jackson. I am not desperate to reach on the OL this draft but
would like to add a grizzly vet, maybe after final cuts, as insurance.

I think Darnell Wright is suited to be a plug and play RT and since not many teams need a RT in the 1st or even the 2nd round, he may be there for us.

If he is and Grier doesn't pick him, well, it will further cement the fact he can't draft a perfectly good OL in a position of need.
Send him one of these , product is enthusiastically endorsed by the Miami Dolphins-

tunsil-gas-mask-bongjpg.jpg

a few weeks ago I thought he could be there at 51 but not anymore......he could go late first or early 2nd but I don’t think he'll make it to 51.

some of the OL guys that could/should be there at 51 are,

Matthew Bergeron
Cody Mauch
Jaelyn Duncan
Blake Freeland

they all played oT in college but Mauch is projecting to play inside

here's the tricky part......if you don’t take one of them at 51 then chances are none of them will be there at 84
I agree.

I've done a lot of looking at these guys; a fairly good bunch coming out but really only Wright and Jones project at starting RT until we get near the bottom of the rankings, where there are perhaps 2-3 others who will be RTs but you probably don't want them starting right away.

Although it's done often, I'm not a fan of drafting a guy that's played thousands of snaps at LT and simply saying he can be a RT. Miami has done similar shenanigans all too often with almost every OL position and it's part of the reason we continue to have issues there. It's far easier to move a LT to LG than to plop him at RT.

Someone slap a bong on Wright's egg and let's get him and keep him 8)

Haven't really studied the prospects that closely yet, sounds like you have So Be. Where do you see the sweet spot this year? Hopefully you're not saying the cupboard is bare , gotta be somebody better than the hope and pray strategy of the current roster construction, right?
I do not see an OT starter for a team looking to contend at 51. The top options have problems with foot work, strength and fitting to a ZBS.
There are a few on the inside but IF we are giving Liam another shot (which I agree with) the pick for this team at this time would be wasted.

I do not see an OT starter for a team looking to contend at 51. The top options have problems with foot work, strength and fitting to a ZBS.
There are a few on the inside but IF we are giving Liam another shot (which I agree with) the pick for this team at this time would be wasted.
Good to know, thank you. There are few things more tiresome than constanly reaching for fit instead of BPA. With an open Super Bowl window and limited draft capital this team needs to make their picks count, multi-year project players need not apply at 51 and 84.

Last season our OL changed to a zone blocking scheme. This is a major change with some not able to do it. McD new this and added two FAs who, with his former RBs made us respectable n run and Pass protect.

The two FAs played well along with Hunt but they were already good. He counted on the OL coach to develop and make the others better. This never happened. There was little or no improvement. McD made a mistake in hiring but was quick to correct by replacing him this year.

I have to give our guys this year to show something and it is a contract year for Jackson. I am not desperate to reach on the OL this draft but
would like to add a grizzly vet, maybe after final cuts, as insurance.
IMO AJ improved a ton. He looked far better than when they tried to put him at G. He just doesn't have the traits for G. Also Williams played better at C than he had ever played at G. Whenever someone tries to say his natural position is G I lose any respect for their ability to evaluate OL. Even Eich played better as the season progressed. I was very critical of that pick. I've never been a fan of his game and his ceiling at the pro level, but he definitively improved over the coarse of the season.

IMO AJ improved a ton. He looked far better than when they tried to put him at G. He just doesn't have the traits for G. Also Williams played better at C than he had ever played at G. Whenever someone tries to say his natural position is G I lose any respect for their ability to evaluate OL. Even Eich played better as the season progressed. I was very critical of that pick. I've never been a fan of his game and his ceiling at the pro level, but he definitively improved over the coarse of the season.
Hopefully they can continue to progress, hopefully they can stay healthy, and for the love of all that is holy hopefully the Dolphins leave no stone unturned in trying to find solid upgrades. I guess all that we can do at this point is hope.

Jackson only played 80 snaps, not enough for me to see a level of improvement. Williams was great. I did not see the same improvement in Liam that you did.

Overall, it was not a good showing which is why the OL coach was fired.

Right now, my mock looks like...
  • Siaki Ika (DT Baylor) at 51
  • Duncan (ORT Maryland) at 84
  • Durham (TE Purdue) at 197
  • Developmental Edge or CB in the 7th

Last edited:
I just read todays article on dolphins podcast. All talk about the OL.
They seem to feel the front office is satisfied with our current guys - better coaching for Liam and better coaching and health for Jackson.
The author did feel we might resign one of last years guys like Snell, Little, or Fischer.
I really do not have great confidence in this plan.

I fail see an “OL question” from the thread title in the OP? Hmm… 🧐

We’re in trouble - this damn franchise has brain damage…

Why can’t the management figure out a mediocre o line equals 9-8…buffoonery!!!

Back
Top Bottom