Omar said Tua's arm still isnt back | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Omar said Tua's arm still isnt back

Terrific summary. Marino had an excellent arm and technique, especially for the midrange throws. He threw a dart over the middle for a touchdown at Shea Stadium as a rookie that astonished Shula and was probably the biggest wow throw of that season.

Tua has a quick release but last year he was hesitant and lacking on those key midrange throws. How he progresses there will dictate the course of his career.

No matter the sport or specialization within that sport the first thing I notice is mechanics. I have no idea what happened with football quarterbacks recently. For all the supposed sophistication in position coaches it shouldn't be possible for so many talented young quarterbacks to have developed such miserable technique, and especially that high elbow chicken wing that is showing up all over the place, regulating Cam Newton and Carson Wentz and Justin Fields, among others. Contrast to decades ago when a shorter less talented guy like Joe Ferguson built a long successful career in the league largely because he had such gorgeous basic footwork and delivery. As soon as I saw Ferguson at Arkansas it was obvious he had NFL throwing motion, far superior -- for example -- to his predecessor at Arkansas, the famed college quarterback Bill Montgomery.

BTW, I have seen some early photos of Wentz with the Colts. It is obvious they are prioritizing his mechanics. Release is relaxed and over the top. We'll see if that translates to live action. There was never anything wrong with Wentz except that incompetent windup he developed.
Get a load of Ohio State's recruit Quinn Ewers, I don't know if it's intentional but he has multiple arm slots and is all over the place, talk about mechanics...

Right on. Making a 20-40 yard throw on a frozen rope requires different mechanics than throwing a ball 60 yards in the air. Dan's throwing was more compact with a low release point. Some of those other QB's mentioned throwing those bombs more routinely would start from a lower position and had more of a "wind-up" involved, that was never Dan's style. Look at Randall cunningham, his arm arc was like a Ferris wheel, he really wound up and it was a long throwing motion. I would put Dan up against any of the other mentioned quarterbacks in mid-field throwing, they may have been able to launch a ball farther but they weren't getting it there quicker on a 30 yard out. He got more zip out of the ball throwing with less actual forward arm movement than just about anyone in the history of the game. His quick release and velocity made it very hard to play the ball. You seldom saw him float rainbows downfield, everything was on a line, even the deep ones...
If you re-watch a lot of his 50 yard in air throws came on a scramble or under pressure and he unloads the ball on a rope and hits the receiver in stride which lead to a TD or huge gain. There is no "arc and let the receiver run under the ball" and as you point out there are throws he made into perfect coverage that just couldn't be defended because the placement and velocity made it impossible to defend.

It was the most unique release in terms of compact quickness and velocity I have ever seen in football, much like the burst and power of Walter Payton running the football, both truly a once in a lifetime wonder to behold.

Last edited:
If you re-watch a lot of his 50 yard in air throws came on a scramble or under pressure and he unloads the ball on a rope and hits the receiver in stride which lead to a TD or huge gain. There is no "arc and let the receiver run under the ball" and as you point out there are throws he made into perfect coverage that just couldn't be defended because the placement and velocity made it impossible to defend.

It was the most unique release in terms of compact quickness and velocity I have ever seen in football, much like the burst and power of Walter Payton running the football, both truly a once in a lifetime wonder to behold.
His mechanics are heavily influenced by his days of pitching a baseball, his hip rotation is where all that torque comes from, when he throws he finishes much as a pitcher does. Unorthodox for typical NFL QB mechanics but in order to generate his velocity and the quickness, it was the perfect motion. Never duplicated because no one would teach those mechanics in today's game, they are considered flawed but they worked for Dan. Thank goodness no one ever tried to change them.
Payton was amazing had plenty of grace and power, love how he never avoided dealing out punishment to a defender. He wasn't running out of bounds, you were getting hit if you were trying to tackle him...

Tua hater so take what he says with a grain of salt or not at all like most of us.
Wrong. Tua was never known for having superior arm strenght. He was known for his accuracy, mobility and intelligent. That doesn't mean he doesn't have the tools to become an elite QB. Most of us, when we drafted him, we were hoping for the next Drew Brees.

So just stop it, only because people pointed out the obvious fact, then they are 'haters'. Its childish.

Wrong. Tua was never known for having superior arm strenght. He was known for his accuracy, mobility and intelligent. That doesn't mean he doesn't have the tools to become an elite QB. Most of us, when we drafted him, we were hoping for the next Drew Brees.

So just stop it, only because people pointed out the obvious fact, then they are 'haters'. Its childish.
Says Tua hater #2

Thank you!

Tua having a strong arm is just demonstrably false by the numbers (below) and by numerous scouting reports.

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 1.17.00 PM.png

...This isn't a "hater" thing, it's a factual thing.

Thank you!

Tua having a strong arm is just demonstrably false by the numbers (below) and by numerous scouting reports.

View attachment 78073

Quote me someone saying Tua has superior arm strenght.

Thank you!

View attachment 78073

HOpe nobody wants Watson considering his "weak arm" coupled with the reality that unlike Tua who has a faster release than even Marino, Watson doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom