Oregon pro day 4/2 Penei Sewell | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Oregon pro day 4/2 Penei Sewell

Arm length argument is stupid. Robert hunt ranked top 7 at rt the last 7 games of the season. He wasnt projected to be a tackle at all, and if anything he was a better lineman than Jackson last season.

Comparing Pitts to Howard is laughable
Maybe ... but every time I make one of these someone says that, and it doesn't matter whether the prospect is Egnew, Howard, Pitts, the kid from UNC a decade or so ago, Vernon Davis ... doesn't matter, there's always a new phenom. Some hit ... but most don't. Pitts is an exceptional prospect ... but there are no guarantees.

I can't stand with you on that island brother. Pitts is amazing, but our most talented offensive player at this point in time is Mike Gesicki. It makes about as much sense as drafting another QB. If we do the typical Dolphins thing of letting another good young talent walk, I'm gonna lose it. This franchise hasn't made the right choices very often, and the best draft I can recall is when we picked Minkah Fitzpatrick and then Mike Gesicki ... the two exact picks I would have made. And if they had played Minkah as a FS like I advocated for since before he was drafted ... we would now have a guy who immediately became an All-Pro FS the moment he left us and was was allowed to be and concentrate on being a FS. If we then turn around and give up on Gesicki too ... that'll be yet another epically stupid move by this franchise.

To me the clear cut top choice would be Ja'Marr Chase, and if he's available and we do not take him, I'm gonna be unbelievably dejected.
Do you think there's any way the coaching staff would figure out how to use both Gesicki and Pitts?

I know NE had Gronk and Hernandez, but Gronk was a really good blocker so the comparison is a little different.

I love Chase, Smith and Waddle but as far as mismatches go I don't know if there's a bigger one than Pitts in this draft.

Personally, I don't think Miami will value Pitts as high as the receivers.

And his QB is lobbying for Chase. That QB will be there longer than Taylor is coach in all likelihood. They could draft a tackle later, it doesn’t have to be Sewell. They could trade back if a QB is still on the board that someone wants. So many options for them. No one really knows.
This isn’t true. Wingo had a segment on it. Burrow said he would never pressure the Bengals into making certain personal decisions. I posted it in the Pitts/Chased pro day thread.

Do you think there's any way the coaching staff would figure out how to use both Gesicki and Pitts?

I know NE had Gronk and Hernandez, but Gronk was a really good blocker so the comparison is a little different.

I love Chase, Smith and Waddle but as far as mismatches go I don't know if there's a bigger one than Pitts in this draft.

Personally, I don't think Miami will value Pitts as high as the receivers.
Honestly, no.

The reason the Gronk / Hernandez show worked was simple. Hernandez WAS a WR, and Gronk was a true two-way TE. Both were elite and didn't really have overlapping roles. Hernandez was a big physical blocking WR, but he had elite quickness to separate, and if I had to compare his game play to a prospect in this draft it would have been a poor man's Ja'Marr Chase. Gronk was absolutely elite as a pass catcher, pass protector, run blocker ... just an off-the-charts talented player who could _literally_ do it all at an elite level. When Gronk was in the game the Patriots passing game averaged an extra YARD in it's YPA compared to when he wasn't on the field ... even when they weren't throwing towards him. And the Patriots averaged MORE THAN A YARD extra YPC in the run game when Gronk was in the game. That's the very definition of dominance.

Pitts can not come close to playing the Hernandez role ... he's just not as quick out of his cuts. Pitts is a mismatch weapon just like Gesicki. You can debate who is better at it, but they're the same type of player who is best utilized as a Move TE/Slot WR focusing on size mismatches vs. DB's and speed mismatches vs. LB's. They're best moving north-south and are not elite change of direction athletes. They have an exceptional vertical silo and tremendous wingspans to generate an incredibly forgiving catch radius for a QB and an extra story in the house to always be open 'up top' and strong contested catch strength to come down with it reliably. They dominate 50/50 balls, outrun LB's and out-size DB's, are always open, and require an eye from the safety. Trying to turn either of them into a guy doing a lot of sharp-cut routes is a waste of material. Get an X receiver who specializes in that and also gives you the speed and size.

These people who want Pitts are the same type of guys who thought Jarvis Landry was a WR#1 and could play on the outside. It's like in chess, you want your knights in the middle where they have lots of options and can dominate. You want your rooks patrolling the edges and controlling entire lines of the game.

Last edited:
Honestly, no.

The reason the Gronk / Hernandez show worked was simple. Hernandez WAS a WR, and Gronk was a true two-way TE. Both were elite and didn't really have overlapping roles. Hernandez was a big physical blocking WR, but he had elite quickness to separate, and if I had to compare his game play to a prospect in this draft it would have been a poor man's Ja'Marr Chase. Gronk was absolutely elite as a pass catcher, pass protector, run blocker ... just an off-the-charts talented player who could _literally_ do it all at an elite level. When Gronk was in the game the Patriots passing game averaged an extra YARD in it's YPA compared to when he wasn't on the field ... even when they weren't throwing towards him. And the Patriots averaged MORE THAN A YARD extra YPC in the run game when Gronk was in the game. That's the very definition of dominance.
I don't think so either. Not necessarily an indictment on the coaching staff, but I can imagine what Shanahan or Payton could do with that type of pairing.

I don't think so either. Not necessarily an indictment on the coaching staff, but I can imagine what Shanahan or Payton could do with that type of pairing.
They'd still need two WR's with elite quickness for those complex route schemes they use and one with extreme high-end speed. Pitts could be their TE in that group, but if they had another TE they'd still need him to be a complete guy with strong blocking skills and a RB with elite speed/quickness to add to the pattern. Two TE systems can absolutely work ... but not with two similar style TE's. Essentially, one TE needs to play like a WR and one like a traditional TE. If they're both always WR's, then they'll lack the change of direction quickness to run those complex route trees needed in today's NFL.

We are all beginning to say almost the same thing. But someone's day gonna be ****ed up in the draft. Don't take this post serious guys lol.

we expect

1. Jags Larence
2. Jets WIlson
3. SF Justin Fields
4. Falcons Defensive Pick/ Trade down
5. Sewell
6. Pitts

We get:

4. Sewell
5. Paye/ parsons
6. Trey Lance

LMFAO, who remembers the Cam Cameron draft? Everyone expecting all these players but we got Ted Ginn.

honestly, i'm not sure there are many situations where I'm going to end up mad.

We have to keep in mind that we are already a good football team. We have the opportunity to add a REALLY REALLY nice piece at 6. Whether it is Pitts, Smith, Chase, Waddle, Sewell, Parsons, Horn, Surtain.

We are adding a good piece that isn't even our pick. Plus we have more untapped capital down the line.

There is 0 way this end up in disappointment to me after pick 6.

This isn’t true. Wingo had a segment on it. Burrow said he would never pressure the Bengals into making certain personal decisions. I posted it in the Pitts/Chased pro day thread.
Pressure is one thing but lobbying is another; you don’t think he’d love his former teammate? It’s Sewell or Chase or I’m stunned. Of course he says the right thing publicly. He has to.

So if there is a surprise pick by Miami, which one would surprise you?
Waddle. He's the need pick.

If you just looked at Tua... ignored the players with super upside... ignored the hyped Smith... and just took a pick 100% based upon Tua's need... It's Waddle... and I don't think they'll do it, because I think they'll shoot for a huge hit, rather than fit.

Last edited:
Penei Sewell
Height: 6'4 7/8"
Weight: 331 lbs
Hand: 10 3/8"
Arm length: 33 1/4"
40: 5.09
Vert: 28”
Bench: 30 reps
3-cone: 7.80

He is an excellent athlete for a 331 guy, no doubt he can play, but these are not first round numbers, nor tackle numbers, taking into account arm length as well. Looks like an awesome guard to me. Too bad he did not play guard.
Wow..... I’m not impressed. Those are definitely NOT “generational” numbers. I’m now officially worried that neither Pitts nor Chase are there at 6.

Waddle. He's the need pick.

If you just looked at Tua... ignored the players with super upside... ignored the hyped Smith... and just took a pick 100% based upon Tua's need... It's Waddle... and I don't think they'll do it, because I think they'll shoot for a huge hit, rather than fit.
Man, I'd love to ask Tua who his pick would be

Back
Top Bottom