Oregon pro day 4/2 Penei Sewell | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Oregon pro day 4/2 Penei Sewell

We are all beginning to say almost the same thing. But someone's day gonna be ****ed up in the draft. Don't take this post serious guys lol.

we expect

1. Jags Larence
2. Jets WIlson
3. SF Justin Fields
4. Falcons Defensive Pick/ Trade down
5. Sewell
6. Pitts

We get:

4. Sewell
5. Paye/ parsons
6. Trey Lance

LMFAO, who remembers the Cam Cameron draft? Everyone expecting all these players but we got Ted Ginn.

If we were to go Sewell, then Paye... some of these folks would lose their minds.

I'd get a 6 pack of dark beer, some snacks and laugh my butt off.
Yeah, I probably wouldn't be too happy with that.
I'd understand it, though. Not a big fan of Paye in the first round even.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't be too happy with that.
I'd understand it, though. Not a big fan of Paye in the first round even.
Heh! Yeah, I'm a trench guy... I think you win by slugging people in the mouth.

For the most part, I think you can win with offensive weapons selected later in the draft.

If I'm going to take an offensive weapon... I want big, I want fast, I want 95% scores. Pitts qualifies... Chase almost qualifies... The others do not, if you are a prototype guy... and I am.

Heh! Yeah, I'm a trench guy... I think you win by slugging people in the mouth.

For the most part, I think you can win with offensive weapons selected later in the draft.

If I'm going to take an offensive weapon... I want big, I want fast, I want 95% scores. Pitts qualifies... Chase almost qualifies... The others do not, if you are a prototype guy... and I am.
So you want smith? You said big. He's pretty big. Didn't you see the footprints he left on the field? Bigfoot ****ing big.

I get what your saying about Gesicki, while he’s not the most valuable chip we have on offense, he might’ve been the most consistent last year. I’ve always liked the kid going back to before his drafting, although I always preferred Goedert.

MG is a free agent next year and could be something an overkill signing if you extend him. That money could be allocated more prudently.

You can also use Gesicki to help yourself trade up from 18 or 36 to acquire another critical piece like starting OL, WR or RB, if you have Pitts already selected.
That's a reasonable approach, and no good GM would rule out the prospect of trading away his best offensive weapon for a price ... but I suspect we would disagree on what that price should be. Yes, Gesicki will command a high price, but I still believe Don Shula was right when he said you don't let your best players go. The salary cap definitely alters that thinking by quantifying worth in a different way ... but I think Gesicki isn't going to ask for ridiculous money like Jarvis Landry and Olivier Vernon did. If he wants to exceed the TE market by 2M per year, sure, we need to move on from him. But if he wants to be paid at the rate of a current top 5 guy (which will end up being peanuts once the salary cap shoots way up as it's projected to do over the next 3 to 5 years), that's a good deal.

The Patriots are a smart organization. They sell high, and get value. The salary cap is temporarily depressed and great deals abound, so they saved up their money and are splurge-shopping by buying low now. Two years from now when the Salary Cap shoots up by a LOT as it is projected to do ... this will be seen as a very shrewd move. Re-signing a star this year is a blessing, because inflation of the cap means today's money is discounted. Locking them into a 5 year contract at today's money is good business. If Grier can't swing that on a team with tons of kids on rookie contracts ... how is he ever going to manage a dynasty if he is ever lucky enough to build one?

IMHO, we should keep Gesicki locked up tight, extending him during this down-cycle of salaries. Build on this like the Kansas City Chiefs did. Add an elite WR to complement our near-elite TE and watch them both grow into a devastating arsenal for Tua. Then we shore up the run game with a couple more good OL and a bell cow RB who has power ... and we've finally fixed our offense. Then for the next 5 years we can maintain and patch the offense and grow the defense ... giving us a real Super Bowl window if Tua can step it up. Well, that's the plan in my head at least.

Cheers brother. Here's hoping Grier & Co. can pull it off, no matter how they do it. Fins Up! :cheers:

That's a reasonable approach, and no good GM would rule out the prospect of trading away his best offensive weapon for a price ... but I suspect we would disagree on what that price should be. Yes, Gesicki will command a high price, but I still believe Don Shula was right when he said you don't let your best players go. The salary cap definitely alters that thinking by quantifying worth in a different way ... but I think Gesicki isn't going to ask for ridiculous money like Jarvis Landry and Olivier Vernon did. If he wants to exceed the TE market by 2M per year, sure, we need to move on from him. But if he wants to be paid at the rate of a current top 5 guy (which will end up being peanuts once the salary cap shoots way up as it's projected to do over the next 3 to 5 years), that's a good deal.

The Patriots are a smart organization. They sell high, and get value. The salary cap is temporarily depressed and great deals abound, so they saved up their money and are splurge-shopping by buying low now. Two years from now when the Salary Cap shoots up by a LOT as it is projected to do ... this will be seen as a very shrewd move. Re-signing a star this year is a blessing, because inflation of the cap means today's money is discounted. Locking them into a 5 year contract at today's money is good business. If Grier can't swing that on a team with tons of kids on rookie contracts ... how is he ever going to manage a dynasty if he is ever lucky enough to build one?

IMHO, we should keep Gesicki locked up tight, extending him during this down-cycle of salaries. Build on this like the Kansas City Chiefs did. Add an elite WR to complement our near-elite TE and watch them both grow into a devastating arsenal for Tua. Then we shore up the run game with a couple more good OL and a bell cow RB who has power ... and we've finally fixed our offense. Then for the next 5 years we can maintain and patch the offense and grow the defense ... giving us a real Super Bowl window if Tua can step it up. Well, that's the plan in my head at least.

Cheers brother. Here's hoping Grier & Co. can pull it off, no matter how they do it. Fins Up! :cheers:

Way I see it, if it ain't pitts then is nobody. Having Geseki and pits in the same formation would be sick. Geseki and Pitts can be put in the same formation. Pitts is a type of tight end you cane line up in the slot.

Yes, you are reasonable...

:UP:

We talked about Marshall Jr in round two for the longest. And I said in other threads that we can look for other skilled players in the 2nd round. Pitts is probably the only guys we cannot get in the 2nd round since he is arguably unique in every way. He's that girlfriend you keep and don't come home drunk to.

Way I see it, if it ain't pitts then is nobody. Having Geseki and pits in the same formation would be sick. Geseki and Pitts can be put in the same formation. Pitts is a type of tight end you cane line up in the slot.
Fair enough. I respect your opinion.

My take is that for this to work you would need to avoid duplicating routes. That means on any given play one of those two guys needs to play the X receiver position, and I'd say that's more of Pitts' role than Gesicki's--although either can do it in a pinch. Gesicki isn't special out of his cuts, so he's a better seam threat and safety valve like a traditional Slot WR/TE. Pitts is better, but also not special when you compare him to guys like Ja'Marr Chase with absolutely ridiculous agility drill numbers and eye-popping film. Put them in a 3-cone against one another and it's not even close. That's why I gravitate towards having one Slot WR/Move TE guy and one X Receiver guy. It gives the OC exponentially more options for routes and makes coverage much much harder for defenses.

Now, once you reach the Red Zone (or Green Zone as Marino called it because that's where the money is made) the utility of those routes is greatly reduced, and the size of TE's dominate. So, if we had a dominant running game that could bulldoze 60 yards of the drive, then having two TE's in would be fantastic. Without it, you need at least one TE who is a plus run blocker and audible pass protector. That guy would be Pitts .. but if you draft Kyle Pitts at #6 and the defense makes you keep him in to protect or run block ... they've essentially taken your highest draft asset off the field. We all know Gesicki isn't the blocker someone like Gronkowski was (is). For Pitts to flourish, he needs to be the clear cut TE#1 and essentially a defacto Slot WR. Anything less underutilizes him.

Did anybody see his work out? Did he look good? I am away from the tube today...

We talked about Marshall Jr in round two for the longest. And I said in other threads that we can look for other skilled players in the 2nd round. Pitts is probably the only guys we cannot get in the 2nd round since he is arguably unique in every way. He's that girlfriend you keep and don't come home drunk to.
Agreed... Pitts is a unique target. He's tier one, and Freiermuth is tier three.

In general... picking him so early would be a reach, but I do think he has all-pro potential.

Now, as always... bad luck or an injury could wreck him, but the potential is there. He's a rare athlete with no attitude flags.

Back
Top Bottom