Our "defense" isn't old!!! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our "defense" isn't old!!!

TampaFinsFan, ive just read every post put up on this post and for GD sakes HUSH UP

Rankings don't mean a damn thing. What did the #3 defense get us? A 6-10 record. Please stop bringing up rankings of non playoff teams. Its meaningless.

The #3 defense kept us in EVERY game this year...its our pathetic offense and miserable play calling that has given up a pathetic 6-10 record... Put it this way, if we wouldve averaged something like 20 ppg, we would be 11-5 bc of our amazing defense

Yes you were. You said...

Crowder was 4th on the list, so how were you NOT talking about him? Maybe you need to keep up here.

I was talking about significant playing time. Jason Allen was on special teams the entire season, and he was involved in every single defensive series. Ever heard of 3rd and long? Guess what happens in those situations...

Roth was also in on every single defensive series. Go back and watch the games. His number is 98 in case you missed it.

Roth has shown flashes. Evans has shown flashes. And Wright was a stud in college. You know what's worse than a homer? Somebody who has no faith in their team at all?

Let's just agree that I'm right.

:sidelol: Yeah, ok, whatever.

But you said he wouldnt' leave. And he did. I saw the writing on the wall and read it to you..and you still denied it.

And if you say this defense isn't old, then you have objectivity whatsoever.

Hold on their Nostradamus, you said Saban would/should be fired. Wayne did everything he could to keep him here. So your prediction was WRONG. You have arguments of convenience and half truths.

Yes the Defense is old, but age sure isn't slowing it down. The simple fact that you try to discredit our D as a top 5 unit is baffling.

First Jim Haslett, now Ray Lewis??? I'm sorry, but with recent events outstanding, you simply have to be the worst "Dolphin fan" I have ever known. I mean come on, you show no support or loyalty to the Dolphins franchise or players. You covet other team's players and use them to argue against the Dolphins. You call yourself a realist or a true fan, but all I see is narcissistic pessimism. You and especially your loved ones, have my pity.

What did you say about Troy Polamalu his first season?

I'm just curious... How long do you give a player before writing them off?

Its not my nature to talk about other teams players after their rookie season. I don't care much about them. If TP was insignificant, I am quite certain I didn't say anything about him at all.

But I must say, since you brought this up, I will break with my custom to talk about some other teams rookies. Lets start with Antonio Cromartie. A DB. Picked after Jamar Allen, and guess what? Far more productive. Same with Richard Marshall. Picked after Jamar Allen...and far more productive.

So please spare me that Jamar Allen is the next Troy Polamalu. Hes isn't worthy of carrying Polamalu's jock strap. And JA isn't even as good as two other rookie DBs picked after him. And you have the audacity to compare him to one of the best Safety's in the league. Geez.

First of all you tell me that defensive rankings don't mean anything. yes they do. That is how we know the Ravens have a good defense. That is how we know that the bears have a good defense. That is how we know that the Dolphins have a good defense. Do you follow?

And YES...i saw the games....since you say that Zach was making tackles 10 yards down the field....how come the Dolphins defensive ranking is so good? Why do the Dolphins stop the run so well? Oh my god..it couldn't be their Middle Linebacker? No way right? Okay. Nevermind that he leads the league in tackles and was voted to the NFL Alumni all-pro team and the NFL ALL PRO team as well as the pro bowl.

By even mentioning Ray Lewis and how you would take Ray lewis over Zach right now..shows your lack of understanding or the fact that you just haven't seen ray Lewis play lately.

First of all..it would be nice if ray lewis wasn't leaving the field with his various assortment of injuries all the time. it would also be nice to see him play without cover from his Defensive Line...Oh wait..we have seen that already...i believed they called that one "the madden jinx".

Ray Lewis isn't Ray Lewis anymore. Zach still is Zach. That you would even make such a ludicrous statement tells me all i need to know. Hey...that Bruce Smith is still pretty good right? let's sign him up.

Zach Thomas is not better than Ray Lewis. He never was. He will never be. And you can rank teams anyway you want, Ray Lewis led his team to a SB.

What has Zach led this team to? Well, since ZT has been on this team, we've missed the playoffs more times than we've made it. Thats a fact. And we've won what, two playoff games?

In the NFL, immortality is made is begotten in the post-season. You can have a thousand reg season tackles and you'll be soon forgotten. Thats a stubborn fact that won't go away no matter how many love letters you write to Zach Thomas.

Zach Thomas is a good player. But hes not a dominant playmaker in the mold of great middle LBs like Butkus, Singletary, and Ray Lewis.

Zach Thomas is not better than Ray Lewis. He never was. He will never be. And you can rank teams anyway you want, Ray Lewis led his team to a SB.

What has Zach led this team to? Well, since ZT has been on this team, we've missed the playoffs more times than we've made it. Thats a fact. And we've won what, two playoff games?

In the NFL, immortality is made is begotten in the post-season. You can have a thousand reg season tackles and you'll be soon forgotten. Thats a stubborn fact that won't go away no matter how many love letters you write to Zach Thomas.

Zach Thomas is a good player. But hes not a dominant playmaker in the mold of great middle LBs like Butkus, Singletary, and Ray Lewis.

Maybe you should know how many playoff games we have won with Zach Thomas first.

Zach Thomas doesn't throw the ball..run the ball..cover wideouts or call the plays. neither did Ray lewis. Zach Thomas does his job.

The very definiton of making a living on past reputation goes to Ray Lewis..the guy hasn't been right since his injury. The "award" voters and pro Bowl voters (his pears) are finally catching on.

Zach Thomas just makes more plays than Ray Lewis...what games have you been watching? That guy is old news.

At least bring up Urlacher or Fletcher...or for that matter a guy like Trotter that gets no mentions...for that matter...Brady James...all of which are better than Ray Lewis right now. Oh...and Al Wilson..and J. Vilma...and A. Pierce...welcome to 2007....Ray Lewis is soooo 2003.

No..that happened due to horrific Quarterback play...where have you been?

I've been right here watching the Fins...miss the playoffs. Again.

And I don't know how someone as frisky as you could so terribly miss my point. I'll try again, so stay with me.

I didn't say the defense was the reason we missed the playoffs (although I can and will make the point to you shortly that they contributed). I said their "impressive" ranking didn't lead this team anywhere. And this is a FACT. It cannot be disputed.

Now, to the defense itself. If they could have stopped Maurice Jones-Drew in the Jax game, stopped Leon Washington in the Jets game, stopped the Colts in the final two minutes in the last game and not given up an 80 yard pass play to the Steelers in the first game we might have made the playoffs.

Houstons defense found a way to stop the Jags. Eight other teams found a way to stop the Steelers offense. Leon Ws biggest game was against our third ranked defense. The Colts ran the ball with Joe Addai on their last drive. Our "third ranked defense" allowed these four teams to beat us down.

So don't give me stats. Give me big time plays in big time games when it matters.

TampaFinsFan, ive just read every post put up on this post and for GD sakes HUSH UP

If you read all of my posts then you should be feeling very educated right now. And I don't even charge to impart all of this wisdom and knowledge.

Hold on their Nostradamus, you said Saban would/should be fired. Wayne did everything he could to keep him here. So your prediction was WRONG. You have arguments of convenience and half truths.

Yes the Defense is old, but age sure isn't slowing it down. The simple fact that you try to discredit our D as a top 5 unit is baffling.

First Jim Haslett, now Ray Lewis??? I'm sorry, but with recent events outstanding, you simply have to be the worst "Dolphin fan" I have ever known. I mean come on, you show no support or loyalty to the Dolphins franchise or players. You covet other team's players and use them to argue against the Dolphins. You call yourself a realist or a true fan, but all I see is narcissistic pessimism. You and especially your loved ones, have my pity.

Uh...I didn't think he would be fired. I said repeatedly that WH wouldn't fire him. I said he should be fired. Get your facts straight so you don't continuously embearass yourself.

Let me ask you...Do you wish Saban were still coaching this team, knowing know what you know about him, and what I knew about him all along?

Uh, I am the worst fan because I covet other teams players? Yeah, I covet the teams who are in the playoffs players. You know why? Because if we had them, we might be in the playoffs. Wanting better for the Fins makes me a bad fan?

As for loyalty to the franchise or players....I don't know what that means. If they do well, I support them. If they don't do well, I don't support them. I am not caught up in meaningless stats and records if thats what you mean. Maybe that makes me a bad fan. I don't know.

I am a true fan and I am a realist.

I am not a narcissistic pessimist. I am a dyslexic agnostic insomniac. Just last night I stayed up all night long wondering if there was a Dog. :wink:

Come on brother, calm down. This isn't about me. Its about the Fins. I want them to win. And its frustrating when other fans can't even come to call this team "OLD" on the Dline. Its absurdity. But at least its talking football when there is little else to talk about.

I'll pass your pity on to my wife. She'll appreciate it!:goof:

PS...If you look at Jim Haslett's record as HC before last year, its not bad. Now last year he went 3-13, but I'd say that any coach who went thru what his team did in New Orleans, with the challenges their players and families faced, would be hard pressed to do better. He faced unthinkable and unimaginable circumstances. 16 road games. Families uprooted. No stability. Practicing in San Antonio, playing in Baton Rouge. Nobody knew where they were going to be next year. And he never complained. He kept pushing. I think thats a credit to him, not a curse. He'll be back one day and I wish him great success. Some (like our glorious Nick Saban) might have quit on the team when the going go that tough.

Yes you were. You said...

Crowder was 4th on the list, so how were you NOT talking about him? Maybe you need to keep up here.
Let's just agree that I'm right.

Originally Posted by TampaFinsFan01
You are wrong. Just look at your list. 4 out of the first 5 have either never played or else played insignifcantly.

Originally posted by Finole:

Well, I said "4 out of first 5". Crowder was indeed 4th. But Rod Wright was first, Jason Allen was second, Fred Evans was third and Kevin Vickerson was fifth.

So those four were who I was referring to when I said "4 out of 5...never played...significantly".

Thats how. So, I think its YOU that needs to keep up here. Definitely you. I am keeping up. But thanks for playing.

Right now Zach Thomas is better than Ray Lewis. Period. I don't even see how anybody can dispute that.

I've been right here watching the Fins...miss the playoffs. Again.

And I don't know how someone as frisky as you could so terribly miss my point. I'll try again, so stay with me.

I didn't say the defense was the reason we missed the playoffs (although I can and will make the point to you shortly that they contributed). I said their "impressive" ranking didn't lead this team anywhere. And this is a FACT. It cannot be disputed.

Now, to the defense itself. If they could have stopped Maurice Jones-Drew in the Jax game, stopped Leon Washington in the Jets game, stopped the Colts in the final two minutes in the last game and not given up an 80 yard pass play to the Steelers in the first game we might have made the playoffs.

Houstons defense found a way to stop the Jags. Eight other teams found a way to stop the Steelers offense. Leon Ws biggest game was against our third ranked defense. The Colts ran the ball with Joe Addai on their last drive. Our "third ranked defense" allowed these four teams to beat us down.

So don't give me stats. Give me big time plays in big time games when it matters.

The Indy game and Jets game didn't matter. We can play this game...the first Buffalo game was on the offense...the Houston game....C-peps two INT's in the Pitt game buried us.

Here are some numbers: 21, 16, 17, 20, 20, 21, 13. Those are the points allowed by our defense in games where we turned it over 3 times or more. That's 6 losses. If we had a competent offense we win ALL of those games.

is it too much to ask to score 21 points? ANd you want to blame the defense? Nevermind that every single win we got this year was because of our defense.

That is a fact. If we had an offense that score 21 points a game...we are 13-3. That tells me that we have a very good defense. Thus the ranking.

Again...you want to blame the defense for our record? In a way you are right...it was because of them that we won any games at all.

Back
Top Bottom