Our new offensive line | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our new offensive line

‘What the Defense is’ will determine what the offense is ...

Would assume we’d like to be closer to 40/60 run/pass vs 10/90 last year ....

We aren’t going to become SF or BAL this season ...

DEF should be significantly improved over last year with FA, draft and simply a year of experience for the young guys .... I don’t expect a top 10, but see top 15 potential by mid-season ... which should coincide with progress on offense to support a more effective run game by mid-season as well ...

I don’t and can’t expect miracles with this off-season and potentially shortened TC ... we’ll see - I’d love to be surprised!

Miami throws darts at OL.
This was very easy to predict- should’ve been prepared that OT5 was a reach at #18.
Austin Jackson was the wrong pick.
Take Ruiz. OC1. Take the day 1 starter.
Either Ruiz or Karras plays Guard.
Once OT1-4 were gone - go get Trent Williams or wait for Rd2-3.
This is the problem, everyone thinks Jackson would be there in round 2, or however late people were predicting. Just like dobbins was there when we waited to grab him? Or whoever else was on their list, that we will never see. OT is a premium position, unfortunately, its one of our biggest needs right now. Theres no way to accurately say he would be there later, and he was the next best option when it came to Tackles. Sometimes you just have to reach a little bit. This dude has some great feet, he can move for his size. He needs some refining with his upper half, this dude has a lot of potential, hes also only 20. Lets just see what happens before we say any of these picks were bad, like all rookies, they will need to time to gel on the next level.

Signing Trent Williams would of been the old dolphins things to do, patch and go. Hes probably going to want a huge contract too. Plus hes over 30 now I believe. None of the tackles in round 2-3 have the potential that Jackson has. These darts were pretty well thrown compared to past. When looking at the other two lineman, there's definitely a theme. Miami wants some power at the LOS, Kindley, and Hunt both play pretty aggressive.

Big improvement imo. The players already on the roster from last season will be relegated to the bench. As they should. We trotted out a line last year that was simply awful. Most of the players wouldn't make the practice squad good teams. Glad we addressed the issue in the draft. It's doesn't stop there though. We have to keep adding and developing talent until we find our niche.

Last edited:
Say what you want about this draft, but the future of this franchise has less to do with Tua and more to do with whether these OL picks become starters. I worry about the maturity of some of these kids. Like, I don't know if they're ready to take on grown ass men. I hope so. We need 5-6 years of freedom from having to draft linemen.

I think flowers is going to play left tackle... the rookie Austin Jackson plays right tackle as Tuas blind side.. I don’t really know we’re still 1 tackle short. Much better than last year but still bottom 16. Just closer to 16 than 32

if they put Flowers at LT, we will know that this draft was all luck and this coaching staff is clueless.

JJ would have never selected OL as high as we did. None are ready to be NFL starters right now. We have greatly improved the talent with which to work this season. We got the QB that everybody was squealing for and criers cry. One thing for damn sure, we improved the overall talent the coaches have to work with. It is a whole lot better than the 'mash unit/practice squad OL we had on the field last year, yet people will bitch because we didn't overpay, panic and trade up for another project who would have just as much experience as the guy's we got.

So they didn’t draft the linemen some wanted who will still be unproven rookies just like the ones the dolphins drafted. Got it. We all hope they pan out but it’s plain stupid to enter the season without attempting to get the O-line to be serviceable.
This was the most unsexy draft in a while. And it was nicely executed even if I wanted a few different players or a move up earlier. Time will tell but the O-line looks better to me on paper.

Last edited:
Breida is a solid consolation price.............but if we signed Dobbins (we have amno to) that would have been a special one draft it's my only disappointment.

hope Benito Jones and Merritt win TC battle and stay in the 53 man roster because I wanted them in 6 and 7 rounder :)

I put together this view of the OL turnover since 2012. Pretty crazy when you look at it this way. This assumes Jackson, Flowers, Karras, Davis, and Hunt next season.

t is a lot to take in but two things are striking. First the average number of seasons that a lineman played 30% or more of the snaps was 1.8. Second, a staggering 13 players never played another down in the NFL after playing 30% or more of the snaps for Miami in their final season (may become 14 if Kilgore is done).

In 2013, they had four players that played 40% or more of the snaps THAT NEVER PLAYED ANOTHER DOWN IN THE NFL!!!!!

Amazingly, the following year, they had three more (all "fixes" to the OL) that played 30% or more of the snaps, then never played again. From 2013 to 2016, they averaged 2.75 linemen PER YEAR that never played another down in the NFL. If you add Jamil Douglas (who was out of football for 2 years and came back last year as a backup), a ridiculous 3 players per year weren't good enough to play anywhere else in the league AFTER PLAYING a significant number of snaps for the Dolphins.

8 times from 2013 to 2018 they brought in or promoted a player to start on the line and that player lasted one season and was out of the NFL. The number of "no hit blunders" is unbelievable.

I hope they are finally on their way to solving this problem, but I'll take a wait and see approach.

1587909061121.png

Jackson-Flowers-Karras-Davis-Hunt

I think you guys are overrating a 4th rounder that struggles with his feet and in space. There’s very little chance he starts this year barring injury imo.

I think Kindley is here for next season (2021). Hunt I believe plays guard year one and moves out in year 2 and hopefully, Kindley can move into the RG spot.

I would really consider calling Jason Peters for LT and as a mentor for Jackson...he has mentioned that he wants to do just that at this point in his career.

Right now...

Jackson....Flowers....Karras....Hunt.....Davis.

Maybe Hunt beats out Davis for RT...I like the idea of open comp.

So we traded a proven Tunsil, for an unproven Jackson.

You keep saying this like if you repeat it enough it will become true.

We traded Tunsil for 2 first round picks and a second round pick

If you are going to mischaracterize the trade over and over again, at least wait until we've gotten over half of what's coming to us.

I think flowers is going to play left tackle... the rookie Austin Jackson plays right tackle as Tuas blind side.. I don’t really know we’re still 1 tackle short. Much better than last year but still bottom 16. Just closer to 16 than 32

Flowers playing any Tackle position:lmfao::funny:

Crazy how some people are assuming this is an improvement to last year. How do we know? These guys are rookies we have no idea how they’ll be. If any of you think Jackson is solid I suggest you go watch some of his so called “highlight” films. Homeboy looks bad and these are supposed to be highlights. We have no idea how these guys pan out. I’m hoping for the best

Back
Top Bottom