Our new offensive line | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our new offensive line

I think Kindley is here for next season (2021). Hunt I believe plays guard year one and moves out in year 2 and hopefully, Kindley can move into the RG spot.

I would really consider calling Jason Peters for LT and as a mentor for Jackson...he has mentioned that he wants to do just that at this point in his career.

Right now...

Jackson....Flowers....Karras....Hunt.....Davis.

Maybe Hunt beats out Davis for RT...I like the idea of open comp.
Why would we waste a year with Hunt at guard if the plan is to kick him to RT in year two? Why not have Davis at G and Hunt outside from the start. The replace Davis with kindley when he is ready.

Crazy how some people are assuming this is an improvement to last year. How do we know? These guys are rookies we have no idea how they’ll be. If any of you think Jackson is solid I suggest you go watch some of his so called “highlight” films. Homeboy looks bad and these are supposed to be highlights. We have no idea how these guys pan out. I’m hoping for the best
200_d.gif

If this is our "new" line, then we're going to get Tua killed for certain. Jackson is a 1st rounder, but he's at least a year away. Hunt may never be NFL caliber, IMHO. We're banking on one good year from Flowers, but he looks to be our best returning OL. Davis is probably our most reliable ... wow, that's scary stuff.

I honestly cannot believe we spent a 1st, 2nd, and 4th on OL, and will have zero new starters in 2020, and may not even have improved our OL. It's an absolutely horrible OL draft. I have hope for Jackson, but he's a down-the-road guy. Kindley can play, but he's not dominant, and he's the 4th rounder. Hunt ... I think was a bad pick . Ugh.

While some teams continue to build solid OL, the Miami Dolphins continue to throw draft picks away along the OL.
I hear what you are saying and don't entirely disagree. In fact, my biggest problem with the draft was reaching for positions of need instead of leveraging their draft capital for fewer, but higher quality picks. If you think about it, they didn't really draft a single immediate starter in the first round, as even Tua will likely sit a season. The Dolphins also have a history of failing to properly evaluate OL talent.

Having said all that, I am, for the first time in a long time, still optimistic about how the picks will work out. I think Flores did a tremendous job with little talent last season, and was even able to reclaim Gesicki, which is something I truly thought impossible. If he can coax the best out of these rookies in a similar fashion and they are able to reach their ceilings, this draft will be a solid team foundation for years to come. I worry about the coaching turnover we had and whether or not we still have the coaching necessary to maximize the potential, but I do believe Flores has earned a chance to show they can do it again and will remain optimistic until proven otherwise.

I think Kindley is here for next season (2021). Hunt I believe plays guard year one and moves out in year 2 and hopefully, Kindley can move into the RG spot.

I would really consider calling Jason Peters for LT and as a mentor for Jackson...he has mentioned that he wants to do just that at this point in his career.

Right now...

Jackson....Flowers....Karras....Hunt.....Davis.

Maybe Hunt beats out Davis for RT...I like the idea of open comp.

Right. I guess I value Davis more at guard than tackle. So to me, Davis-Hunt is better combo than Hunt-Davis. Especially if you’re thinking Hunt is a tackle in the future.

If you look at it as being a 2 year rebuild (not saying they are) on the OL, and assuming Tua sits most of this year....

I would have traded up to get one of the higher rated OL we all had mentioned leading up to the draft- better odds you solved one spot and than the same next year-so hopefully you have a higher probability of solving 2 of the spots that way. They still could draft developmental guys each year.

These guys could develop some by year 2 or maybe not so much..

I find certain comments ridiculous.
We have the best developmental coach in I don't know how long. Yet many posters don't believe the linemen we draft will.
Also, can we stop with the "I would have traded up" crap. It's been reported grier was constantly on the phone trying to move both up and down. It takes two to trade. Juat because we say hey SF let's trade doesn't mean they say yes.

Austin Jackson is a right tackle we’re going to get our left tackle next draft. I’d let him play it to keep him comfortable instead of flipping him around next year

Why would we waste a year with Hunt at guard if the plan is to kick him to RT in year two? Why not have Davis at G and Hunt outside from the start. The replace Davis with kindley when he is ready.
Because Davis has more experience and it a better pass blocker right now. We will not have the benefit of Rookie mini-camps, or the other mini-camps so most of these linemen are going to be way behind when the season starts. I error on the side of caution and let the more experienced guy play on the outside and use my mauler on the inside while he is coached up on pass pro.

Because Davis has more experience and it a better pass blocker right now. We will not have the benefit of Rookie mini-camps, or the other mini-camps so most of these linemen are going to be way behind when the season starts. I error on the side of caution and let the more experienced guy play on the outside and use my mauler on the inside while he is coached up on pass pro.
Understandable.
I go the other route thou. Whoever is our RT of the future put him there immediately. Learn the position while either fitz or Rosen starts. When the line gels...put Tua in!

The issue I have is the assumption that Ereck Flowers will continue to ascend as an OG, after showing we was capable for 8 games playing LG in 2019. There is no guarantee he'll continue. After all Flowers pretty much stunk up the NFL before signing with Washington. Jackson is very raw. While talented he's going to need seasoning and experience to hopefully reach his enormous potential as a LT. Hunt has been lauded by many NFL Draft TV talking heads as a plug and play, player with huge upside. As a matter of fact, Grier said, he received several calls from other executives telling him he was their target and congratulated him. But Hunt is also raw as can be. He's an extremely aggressive player, which Miami has lacked.

Kindley has a lot of solid traits but he too has some question marks. I love all the physical brand of Offensive Line play that Jackson, Hunt and Kindley bring to Miami. Lord knows they've had a bunch of wimps playing along the OL. It just might take some time for it all to come together? Hopefully sooner rather than later. Because if it doesn't, Miami is back to square one.

There is no Bill Callahan coaching these kids and that's got me somewhat worried.

Last edited:
...all I know for sure is that we addressed the OL rather aggressively and
it seems the kids we picked have legit upside and certainly size...

If they ALL develop well it will be a banner draft! If we get 2 out 3 then
still very strong. But whatever you have to like the focus and attention
to solving a glaring problem.

beyond that -- time will tell.

I'm also hoping this will light a fire under Deiter's ass and he'll make a jump
in Y2. That would be a nice bonus.

I find certain comments ridiculous.
We have the best developmental coach in I don't know how long. Yet many posters don't believe the linemen we draft will.
Also, can we stop with the "I would have traded up" crap. It's been reported grier was constantly on the phone trying to move both up and down. It takes two to trade. Juat because we say hey SF let's trade doesn't mean they say yes.

it’s going to take the OL coach to bring these guys along, you are expecting Flores to do that? I think he helps with D side development some - especially the corners.

having all that ammo put them in a better position to trade up - actually more than most teams- my hunch it was more they wanted to keep and use all first rounders, as was reported a few times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom