Our new offensive line | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our new offensive line

With the additions of Austin Jackson (6'5" 322), Robert Hunt (6'5" 323), and Solomon Kindley (6'3" 337) in the draft, combined with the free-agent acquisitions of Karras (6'4" 300) and Flowers (6'6" 330), and the very steady Jessie Davis (6'6" 321) we have definitely got a type. So my question is, how do we shuffle them? Do players like Deiter, Calhoun, Davenport, and Isidora have roles?

Personally, I think we keep Davis at Right Tackle, put Hunt at Right Guard, Karras at Center (obviously), Flowers at Left Guard, and Jackson at Left Tackle

LT: Jackson / isidora
Lg: Flowers / Kindley
Cc: Karras / Deiter
Rg: Hunt / Calhoun
RT: Davis / Davenport

Do we have enough depth? Who stands to be cut? Is my lineup feasible, or should we swap Davis and Hunt?
Is Kindley ready to start next year? I had Kindley at Right Guard and Hunt at Right tackle. If Kindley isn’t ready to play next year than I do think this is the way to go.

I still can't believe we gave $20M guaranteed and to Erek Flowers. We still need a C and RT in 2021.

It’s all on the rookies and Carrots to develop into a first rate center. A lot of rookies starting on the o-line could be a mess this year. Any shot at Dieter playing G and making the leap?

If Adam Gaze got 3 years, Flores is gonna see at least 4 lol. Cam Cameron is the only coach we've had the last 15 year's, who didn't make it to a 2nd or more season. Coach Flo will ready the troops....

I'm sure of it!
So, your logic is that Gase who had 1 good season got 3 years but didn't pan out, went to the Jets, hasn't panned out, and now Ross is going to think that the current coach with less production deserves more time before determining whether to keep him? Not sure I share that logic.

IMHO, Coach Flo needs to start showing results now in 2020. He failed the tank, but still got arguably one of the two best QB's in the draft, had more draft capital than any other team, and IMHO, needs to show either production (wins) or promise (rookies performing well) in 2020. Remember, we still have almost as much draft capital for 2021 as we just spent in the 2020 draft. Any GM would love to come in and spend that, so Ross would get his pick of GM and likely young star coach. We do not have those draft picks in 2022, so the time to replace these guys will be after the 2021 season unless they've shown reason to believe in them.

I worry about the coaching turnover we had and whether or not we still have the coaching necessary to maximize the potential...

IMO this is a big question mark, since we as fans have no idea exactly who was responsible for the various positional successes and failures last season.

I still can't believe we gave $20M guaranteed and to Erek Flowers. We still need a C and RT in 2021.
Flowers will be fine as long as he stays inside. I don't think anybody thought we'd fix every need in a single draft. Just saw where Casserly said Miami is the most improved team after this draft.

I love all the physical brand of Offensive Line play that Jackson, Hunt and Kindley bring to Miami. Lord knows they've had a bunch of wimps playing along the OL.

Thank you!!! I could never understand why so many people thought that Miami had some elite, above-average talent on the o-line over the past 8 or 9 years. Pouncey was consistently pushed backwards; I don't think he was very strong at all. Juwan James on his best day was average; IMO there's no way he should've been a 1st round pick! Tunsil was the best player on the worst o-line in the league. Like Pouncey, I saw him pushed back many times. The stats say that he only gave up 2 sacks (I believe) in 2018. Sounds great, right? But, those stats don't tell you that the other 4 linemen were so bad that the guys they were blocking usually made it to the QB a step or two ahead of Tunsil's guy. And, these 1st round linemen were terrible at run-blocking.

I consider Jake Long (when healthy) and Incognito to be tough, physically dominating old-school linemen, while guys like Jonathan Martin and Dallas Thomas were the complete opposite; "finesse" wimps. Yes, Incognito was a bit unstable, but I honestly believe that Jake Long probably acted as his "babysitter" and kept him mostly in line until he left for the Rams. Philbin was a weak Head Coach who built a weak team, so Bully-Gate was the result of his inability to take charge and control his team. Philbin cut Incognito because he preferred the style of Martin over the old-school Incognito. The result? After a possibly unjustified suspension, Incognito became a Pro Bowler with the Bills, while Jonathan Martin, a poor player on the field, continued his downward spiral due to mental issues.

The way I see it concerning Miami's o-line in recent history, when it comes to being able to pass-block, run-block, and go toe-to-toe with tough d-linemen, I consider Long and Incognito to be at the top of the scale and Martin and Thomas to be at the bottom of the scale. As for those so-called "elite" 1st round picks Pouncey, James, and Tunsil, I'd rate them closer to Martin and Thomas then up there with Long and Incognito! A switch from these weaklings to some physical maulers under Flores will be a welcome change! I can't wait to once again see Miami having no problems with converting 3rd or 4th and short on the ground... even when the defense knows you're going to run it!

Thank you!!! I could never understand why so many people thought that Miami had some elite, above-average talent on the o-line over the past 8 or 9 years. Pouncey was consistently pushed backwards; I don't think he was very strong at all. Juwan James on his best day was average; IMO there's no way he should've been a 1st round pick! Tunsil was the best player on the worst o-line in the league. Like Pouncey, I saw him pushed back many times. The stats say that he only gave up 2 sacks (I believe) in 2018. Sounds great, right? But, those stats don't tell you that the other 4 linemen were so bad that the guys they were blocking usually made it to the QB a step or two ahead of Tunsil's guy. And, these 1st round linemen were terrible at run-blocking.

I consider Jake Long (when healthy) and Incognito to be tough, physically dominating old-school linemen, while guys like Jonathan Martin and Dallas Thomas were the complete opposite; "finesse" wimps. Yes, Incognito was a bit unstable, but I honestly believe that Jake Long probably acted as his "babysitter" and kept him mostly in line until he left for the Rams. Philbin was a weak Head Coach who built a weak team, so Bully-Gate was the result of his inability to take charge and control his team. Philbin cut Incognito because he preferred the style of Martin over the old-school Incognito. The result? After a possibly unjustified suspension, Incognito became a Pro Bowler with the Bills, while Jonathan Martin, a poor player on the field, continued his downward spiral due to mental issues.

The way I see it concerning Miami's o-line in recent history, when it comes to being able to pass-block, run-block, and go toe-to-toe with tough d-linemen, I consider Long and Incognito to be at the top of the scale and Martin and Thomas to be at the bottom of the scale. As for those so-called "elite" 1st round picks Pouncey, James, and Tunsil, I'd rate them closer to Martin and Thomas then up there with Long and Incognito! A switch from these weaklings to some physical maulers under Flores will be a welcome change! I can't wait to once again see Miami having no problems with converting 3rd or 4th and short on the ground... even when the defense knows you're going to run it!
Flores is an old school coach, who believes in physicality. I love his approach. Hopefully it pays off in both the run and pass game. If these kids develop, Miami may have, Finally solved a long standing issue. Those clips of Jackson 15-20 yards down field blocking, reminded me of Jamie Nails when he was with Miami. I couldn't help but get excited about the potential.

If this is our "new" line, then we're going to get Tua killed for certain. Jackson is a 1st rounder, but he's at least a year away. Hunt may never be NFL caliber, IMHO. We're banking on one good year from Flowers, but he looks to be our best returning OL. Davis is probably our most reliable ... wow, that's scary stuff.

I honestly cannot believe we spent a 1st, 2nd, and 4th on OL, and will have zero new starters in 2020, and may not even have improved our OL. It's an absolutely horrible OL draft. I have hope for Jackson, but he's a down-the-road guy. Kindley can play, but he's not dominant, and he's the 4th rounder. Hunt ... I think was a bad pick . Ugh.

While some teams continue to build solid OL, the Miami Dolphins continue to throw draft picks away along the OL.

So the oline and rookies can't get better with coaching? Also I look for Jackson to have improvement in the 2nd half of the season when Tua might come in

So, your logic is that Gase who had 1 good season got 3 years but didn't pan out, went to the Jets, hasn't panned out, and now Ross is going to think that the current coach with less production deserves more time before determining whether to keep him? Not sure I share that logic.

IMHO, Coach Flo needs to start showing results now in 2020. He failed the tank, but still got arguably one of the two best QB's in the draft, had more draft capital than any other team, and IMHO, needs to show either production (wins) or promise (rookies performing well) in 2020. Remember, we still have almost as much draft capital for 2021 as we just spent in the 2020 draft. Any GM would love to come in and spend that, so Ross would get his pick of GM and likely young star coach. We do not have those draft picks in 2022, so the time to replace these guys will be after the 2021 season unless they've shown reason to believe in them.

No one is leaving at the end of '20 season

If this is our "new" line, then we're going to get Tua killed for certain. Jackson is a 1st rounder, but he's at least a year away. Hunt may never be NFL caliber, IMHO. We're banking on one good year from Flowers, but he looks to be our best returning OL. Davis is probably our most reliable ... wow, that's scary stuff.

I honestly cannot believe we spent a 1st, 2nd, and 4th on OL, and will have zero new starters in 2020, and may not even have improved our OL. It's an absolutely horrible OL draft. I have hope for Jackson, but he's a down-the-road guy. Kindley can play, but he's not dominant, and he's the 4th rounder. Hunt ... I think was a bad pick . Ugh.

While some teams continue to build solid OL, the Miami Dolphins continue to throw draft picks away along the OL.
Hunt was the #1 OG on most people's boards (not including Ruiz). We probably would've gotten Ruiz if New Orleans hadn't gone all retarded and drafted him when they've got a pro bowl rookie center lol.

Hunt is ready to start, he'll be better than Deiter was for sure.

Back
Top Bottom