Panthers trade for Darnold. Guess they won't be trading up to 6 with us... | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Panthers trade for Darnold. Guess they won't be trading up to 6 with us...

Just watched his pro day and my answer is yes take him at #6. There are other WR options later on like Eskridge.

No to Smith or Waddle, but take a tackle with arm length widely considered too short for the position?

I believe Sewell will be a nice NFL player. Maybe even a great one.

But it’s laughable that Smith’s perceived flaws are harped on and a player like Sewell’s aren’t. Especially when Smith‘s overwhelming production and success demonstrated like no other that he can better overcome whatever flaws he has.

Atlanta "should" take a CB and Bengals "should" take an OT. What they will do is anyone's guess. I do think it is a possibility the Bengals take Chase. I have a hard time seeing Atlanta taking a TE (Pitts).

Either Chase or Pitts would be a great addition. And if we are forced to settle for Smith, well hard to complain with getting the most prolific pass catcher. Either him or Waddle would also be a great addition.

Maybe we take Sewell and turn him into a bunch of draft picks. A great LT is generally worth more than a great WR/TE.

So we might not get who we are hoping for but we certainly aren't going to end up with a bad prospect.

Atlanta "should" take a CB and Bengals "should" take an OT. What they will do is anyone's guess.

Yep.

I mean, unless ATL fully expects to be terrible again, when would they draft 4 or higher again? And this seemingly is among the deeper QB classes in a while.

CIN has already one tackle with shorter than average arms. Perhaps they don’t want two of them?

Otherwise OL seems like the big need for the Bengals. I can see an argument for WR or TE, but they do have Boyd and Higgins too.

But I’m sure at least one of them will go against “need” to take BPA. Which honestly is a pretty wise tactic.

That's what makes me sick. It is less but not dramatically less. Chris Grier had no clue what he owned. Matt Rhule should have been recognized as a key player in this. He's got Joe Brady so now he needs the quarterback. Who knows what he might have been willing to do, closer to draft day, especially if he had his choice of any among Fields, Lance and Jones?

I have no idea why so many are surprised at what Darnold fetched in return. Turn up the adjuster dial. With quarterbacks it's more not less and often dramatically more. I wouldn't be annoyed at Grier if the top of the draft were loaded with nothing but offensive tackles and wide receivers. It was the quarterbacks variable that made his early bail so idiotic.
How much more than 3 firsts and a third do you think he could've gotten? The Rams traded all the way up to #1 overall from #15 to get Goff and only gave up 2 firsts along with 2 seconds and 2 thirds.

No to Smith or Waddle, but take a tackle with arm length widely considered too short for the position?

I believe Sewell will be a nice NFL player. Maybe even a great one.

But it’s laughable that Smith’s perceived flaws are harped on and a player like Sewell’s aren’t. Especially when Smith‘s overwhelming production and success demonstrated like no other that he can better
I like Waddle don't like Smith and Sewell fits our OL needs also watched him bench 225 30 times and his agility and footwork look great.

How much more than 3 firsts and a third do you think he could've gotten? The Rams traded all the way up to #1 overall from #15 to get Goff and only gave up 2 firsts along with 2 seconds and 2 thirds.

Don’t take him seriously. He whines incessantly about value yet has very little clue.
We live in a dynamic world, not static.

Considering MIA’s goal wasn’t solely to trade down to accumulate as much draft capital as humanly possible, but rather to still end up in the 6,7,8 range, they did just fine.

Especially considering that they couldn’t get one of the org’s holding those picks to trade directly with them and had to accomplish it in 2 different trades.

Last edited:
I like Waddle don't like Smith and Sewell fits our OL needs also watched him bench 225 30 times and his agility and footwork look great.

Great. But what about his short arms?

Why no concern there when a widely established norm exists for the tackle position among NFL circles while weight is somehow is a concern for a WR when a lot more players have proven to buck that trend?

Again, I like Sewell and am not predicting he’ll fail. I’m just pointing out the inconsistency and hypocrisy in how many on this board subjectively apply their ”concerns”.

Any possible legitimate concerns to be had over a player they happen to like are summarily ignored while accentuated and harped on ad nauseam when it is a player they don’t like.

Funny how that works.

I like Sewell and everything he brings. Is that ok? I don't agree with him having T-Rex arms.
Its ok that we dont like the same things.

Might be just me but that’s not a lot to give up for a former no 3 overall pick. Even if I think Darnold stinks.

Agreed.

Didn’t AZ get a 2nd and 5th for Rosen from our Dolphins?

This deal isn’t drastically different. And Darnold has shown a helluva lot more than Rosen ever did.

If you compare both deals and consider both player’s production up to the respective trades, I think it’s pretty clear NYJ didn’t get fair value.

But it also demonstrates my point about making comparisons to historical trades. It’s not apples to oranges. Value changes. Supply and demand changes. Value isn’t static.

What you can get for something today is all that matters.

They could restructure his contract and cut him the following year or he could take a pay cut knowing he won’t get have that if he was on the market. That isn’t definite.
Regardless they still need a QB and have huge holes on D. Not buying they’re taking Pitts. Just not a need for them. I could definitely see them taking Surtain, a huge position of need

Back
Top Bottom