Parsons versus Sewell | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Parsons versus Sewell

Last year, there were a BUNCH of people on this board who advocated for us to trade all three of our first round picks in order to move up for Tua... HE WAS THAT GOOD!!!!

I counseled them to go change their panties, and to play poker, and it worked. Grier and Flores stared the other teams down and didn't have to give up a thing.

This year, there are at least 4, and probably more like 6 WRs in that top tier, (just like last year) and to wet oneself clamoring for one specific guy is well... kind of loopy.

Can you explain a bit more here? How do high standards factor in here?

For example, you do not draft 175 lb wide receiver top 5.
You do not draft a QB with wacky offensive production top 5, i.e. 50 td, 2 interceptions.
You do not draft positional player with one year of production top 5.

You scratchoff the list of acceptable players to draft for any reason you can find. You draft only the best with no flags.

For example, you do not draft 175 lb wide receiver top 5.
You do not draft a QB with wacky offensive production top 5, i.e. 50 td, 2 interceptions.
You do not draft positional player with one year of production top 5.

You scratchoff the list of acceptable players to draft for any reason you can find. You draft only the best with no flags.
1) I wouldn't
2) This one is debatable... I'm not going to let a statistical anomaly scare me off of a good player
3) I completely disagree with you here. If the player is a redshirt sophomore, I certainly do. If he's a senior, then I agree with you.

1) I wouldn't
2) This one is debatable... I'm not going to let a statistical anomaly scare me off of a good player
3) I completely disagree with you here. If the player is a redshirt sophomore, I certainly do. If he's a senior, then I agree with you.
2. It's not a statistical anomaly. It means the QB has not faced adversity and learned to grind to good production. He cannot play at the level he looks on film.
3. No, no redshirt sophomore with one year production in top 5! That's a leap of faith!

2. It's not a statistical anomaly. It means the QB has not faced adversity and learned to grind to good production. He cannot play at the level he looks on film.
3. No, no redshirt sophomore with one year production in top 5! That's a leap of faith!
I could not disagree more on the sophomores... these are the guys who have already shown dominance at an early age. These guys are my EXCLUSIVE targets.

In what world would you get a ransom for Sewell, yet still be able to take Smith?

You'd need the Jets to take Sewell. Then see what offers come in from the Eagles, Panthers or Broncos and take your chances.

You'd need the Jets to take Sewell. Then see what offers come in from the Eagles, Panthers or Broncos and take your chances.
Yeah, but then you wouldn't be trading Sewell, would you? The Eagles aren't trading up, as they're comfortable with Hurts, at least for a few years, until his "mobile" status is done.

Although LB is not nearly as important or as valuable as OT (see our defense which has been outstanding with a hodgepodge of limited talents at LB, albeit with some really poor performances against the run), Parsons is more than just an elite off ball LB. He has the potential to be an elite pass rusher as well, which is what pushes him into the same category as Sewell imo.

Last year, there were a BUNCH of people on this board who advocated for us to trade all three of our first round picks in order to move up for Tua... HE WAS THAT GOOD!!!!

I remember that.

As a proponent of drafting Tua, I also rolled my eyes at the idea of trading up. Was so very glad they didn’t buy into all the false rumors and stood pat. Best game of poker they‘ve played thus far.

A WR hasn't gone Top5 since Amari did back in 2015. One hasn't gone Top10 the last 3 drafts.

And no WR has won the Heisman since 1991 but that could happen for Smith, no?

Why so many people get wrapped up in comparing what happened in previous years to what is happening now is beyond me. They have no correlation.

I mean, if that’s the logic then MIA will NEVER be a great franchise again because, well, they haven’t been one in such a long time. Right?

So why do we bother......

I didn't have a daughter until my daughter was born. But I still saw it coming in advance. I don't buy this "WR hasn't been drafted X since Y" stuff.

Or this false narrative about Devonta Smith’s slim frame somehow meaning he’s more at risk of failing. And unworthy of a top 10 pick — even though most draft pundits have him in the top 10. And he’ll likely actually be drafted there.

Sewell for me as solves 2 positions - OT and pushes Hunt inside where many have said he may be an outstanding OG.
The other wrinkle is how good can Van Grinkel turn out to be? He has had his moments in pass rush.
Can he take part of the pressure off not drafting Parsons and look for a lesser LB later?

I really like Collins for that 1b but, if Miami takes Sewell, I feel they almost need to go wide receiver at 1b.

Tough enough to miss out on Chase, Smith and Waddle. I'd definitely want one of Marshall, Bateman, Moore, St. Brown or Toney.
I’m fine with Moore or Bateman at 1B. Actually prefer Moore as a blazing fast ridiculous physical talent. Bateman more like Parker and Williams.

The more interesting question is Penei Sewell vs. Devonta Smith.
6’6” 330lb. generational OT not “more interesting” versus 6’ 175lb. very, very good WR prospect. It’s Sewell by every GM that ever lived.

I’m fine with Moore or Bateman at 1B. Actually prefer Moore as a blazing fast ridiculous physical talent. Bateman more like Parker and Williams.
Don’t think Moore is blazing fast

Don’t think Moore is blazing fast
“Moore's well-documented 4.33-second 40-yard dash and an array of highly graded skills for receiving, rushing and returning have made him one of college football's most exciting players. He combines freakish athleticism with a maniacal work ethic and an intense focus that borders on robotic. He'll tempt NFL general managers looking for all-purpose electricity from the slot position -- think Tyreek Hill -- and a sterling off-field reputation. NFL evaluators most familiar with Purdue's redshirt sophomore are convinced his performance both in physical testing and personal interviews at the NFL Scouting Combine, be it next year or the year after, will galvanize him as an early selection.”

Back
Top Bottom