PFT: Ryan Mallet "Almost Certain" to fall out of first round | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFT: Ryan Mallet "Almost Certain" to fall out of first round

Tell me CK, do you think Henne is fixable? It seems like I am his only believer still on this forums. I don't think he will ever be elite per se Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Rivers, but I do think if he is put in the right system, right players surrounding him and right gameplan, he can be successful on this level.

No I don't believe he's fixable. I think he can be a good backup in the NFL because if a team isn't game planning for him and they don't get much exposure to him, they can make the mistake of trying to blitz him and put a bunch of people out in man coverage, and those are the occasions when he actually looks decent because he makes the right read on where he should throw the ball, and throws a good ball. But, you don't want him as your starter because the same problems that are sinking him as a starter are ones that he's dealt with his entire college and pro career. If they're not getting better after 7 years, they're probably not getting better.

Right now there's a strong danger that he gets worse, not better. He's pressing, the benching and everything with it has changed his outlook and attitude and I'm not convinced it's for the better. He doesn't have the confidence of his teammates. Defenses have figured his tendencies out, seemed every game we would hear a player on the other side make a comment to that effect that they knew what he was going to do.

He needs to sit...right NOW...before he does any more damage to himself. If he sits a while, practices more, is forced to confront his own problems and inadequacies as a player more by having some guy picked over him and seeing what that guy does that everyone considers to be good, and also what he does that isn't so good and where Henne could maybe differentiate himself a little...like I said the guy could be a good backup and a good backup means some day you will start games again and actually play well, like a Sage Rosenfels, Billy Volek, Jon Kitna or Shaun Hill. Right now though, he can't even play to that level, IMO.

Maybe it's just me, but is it really a good idea to bring a guy in with documented cocaine use into a city like Miami? I just keep replaying that scene in Scarface where Tony Montana is at his desk with his face in a moutain of coke, and somehow I can see the same thing with a guy like Mallet.

he's my favorite of the group so i'd take him at 15 - trading back and and getting him in the end of the first would be a freakin wet dream IMO.

j-off (tee-hee) and hoops - check out 'the walking dead' on AMC as well. zombie apocalypse. need i say more?

not too bad if you ask me. i've seen plenty worse from him - but you can't ignore that gun or accuracy.

No, you can't ignore that gun of his. That's the one thing that I LOVE about Mallett. However, he's just got so many red flags right now, and he just looks like the second coming of Ryan Leaf.

I really don't see any of the Whigger-from-hell/Ryan Leaf 2.0 evidence in that clip that I've been reading in other places. Could a guy that looked that good really fall out of the 1st round?

(But then, what do I know? I think if someone fixes Jake Locker's baseball pitcher footwork they'll have the next Aaron Rodgers!)

[video=youtube;ajr9NMQ2Ac8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajr9NMQ2Ac8&feature=related[/video]

No, you can't ignore that gun of his. That's the one thing that I LOVE about Mallett. However, he's just got so many red flags right now, and he just looks like the second coming of Ryan Leaf.

the flags are scary - i'll give you that - but all it is right now is a bunch of smoke without a fire. we'll see - and if some of those flags end up being true - then let him slip and grab him later. really, really, really, really, really sick of this lingering QB fiasco. i'll take him with the flags at this point to be honest - let the kid slide down the boards. fine by me.

he doesn't have the hype to be the next ryan leaf - but that would suck either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only red flag I consider to be 'scary' is potential drug use. That's the kind of thing that could keep popping up to haunt a guy.

He's not a natural-born leader. Well, guess what. Neither is Eli Manning. Neither is Michael Vick. Neither is Ben Roethlisberger. Neither is Chad Henne. I've seen so many guys come through this game winning a bunch of games and going to the playoffs and even winning Super Bowls and...if they didn't have talent and they didn't play the #1 position in football, they'd be irrelevant. Gravitas is nice, but not necessary. Vince Young is what, 30-16 as a starter? If he didn't run afoul of a coach that decided to stand up to him at the CLEAR cost of losing games, to the point where both guys are being booted from the team...he'd still be starting and he'd probably still be winning.

But if you combine those personality foibles with drug use, that's where you could get something explosive and dangerous. That's something I could potentially not live with. I'd have to be comfortable that he just did it a couple times, because he was young and stupid, that he's not going to do something like that again.

Ryan Mallett's arm is a freak show...

Teams are going to have to dig into this kid's background and seperate fact from fiction just like all the rest of these guys... Remember, this is a kid who also qualified academically to attend the University of Michigan... he's not stupid.

D.J. Williams is quite possibly the highest character prospect in this entire draft, certainly one of the them. D.J. flat out said that Mallett had some issues when he first arrived at Arkansas... but he's also one of the staunchest supporters of Mallett, and insists that he's made quantum leaps in his personality and maturity from how he used to be.. Not that much different at all from, well... any of these quarterbacks. The "top 3" all have this type of history in their past.

I've said it from the beginning, it wouldn't surprise me if ALL these QB's are still on the board at 15...

The only red flag I consider to be 'scary' is potential drug use. That's the kind of thing that could keep popping up to haunt a guy.

He's not a natural-born leader. Well, guess what. Neither is Eli Manning. Neither is Michael Vick. Neither is Ben Roethlisberger. Neither is Chad Henne. I've seen so many guys come through this game winning a bunch of games and going to the playoffs and even winning Super Bowls and...if they didn't have talent and they didn't play the #1 position in football, they'd be irrelevant. Gravitas is nice, but not necessary. Vince Young is what, 30-16 as a starter? If he didn't run afoul of a coach that decided to stand up to him at the CLEAR cost of losing games, to the point where both guys are being booted from the team...he'd still be starting and he'd probably still be winning.

But if you combine those personality foibles with drug use, that's where you could get something explosive and dangerous. That's something I could potentially not live with. I'd have to be comfortable that he just did it a couple times, because he was young and stupid, that he's not going to do something like that again.

i'm probably alone on this but i think stupidity and arrogance/uncoachability are scarier than drug use. drug use is fixable and TONS of college kids do it. people grow up and out of drugs. the fact that he got caught - well then you might have to factor in stupid as well. you can't fix stupid.

i'm with you on the natural born leader thing. not the end of the world if he's got the talent and motivation to win.

I'm actually in favor of going with Henne next year over getting desperate and trading away picks for a teams throwaway trash . . . I mean what team gives up a "franchise" QB?

I think the Dolphins QB situation is the most interesting in the league, and that is not a good thing for us. I pretty much ignore those who say "I am more accurate than Henne" and BS posts like that, because it gets pretty stupid after a while. I just want Jeff Ireland to do what he feels best, if he likes a guy then roll the dice, but just don't roll the dice on a guy because he is a first round pick . . . make sure you watched him over and over, interviewed him, did your background checks and decided he is a guy you want to bring in to the Miami Dolphins. Saying that, I think we are very fortunate to have Chad Henne under contract another season and we are hopefully going to give him a shot with a new OC and new coaching . . . because ability is not the problem with Henne, it's inconsistency and I think the scheme we were running under Henne has alot to do with that.

Would it actually suprise anybody if we drafted Gabbert, Mallet, Locker, Newton, Ponder, Yates, etc . . . any of those guys, and Chad Henne beats them out in camp? Definitely wouldn't suprise me and that is why we have the luxury of having him on the roster for next season . . . however we would be foolish not to bring in some new blood at QB, because although I like Henne, like others have said he may be "damaged goods" in Miami . . . and I don't know if he will ever have a place here.

What is going to ultimately suck in the end is, Henne could move on to another team and actually make headlines with that team and we potentially could still be struggling to find our franchise guy.

I dunno, maybe it will be obvious that he just doesn't have that "it" factor this season . . . but I have to laugh when people want to just dump him and bring in one of the "superstar" options in the free agency pool or trade a first for another teams leftovers.

If we weigh up the limited QB scenario options at Miami. I really do think that Henne should be given another opportunity to compete at training camp.

He's coming to the end of his rookie contract and if he was to be released down the line, at least we would have given him ample time and opportunities for him to prove or not to prove that he is the man.

Though as CK said it is worrying that he has not developed or shown considerable progression in his skillset since Michigan.

Maybe it's just me, but is it really a good idea to bring a guy in with documented cocaine use into a city like Miami? I just keep replaying that scene in Scarface where Tony Montana is at his desk with his face in a moutain of coke, and somehow I can see the same thing with a guy like Mallet.

If thats' the case then Ponder must be the pick.

Henne should be given another opportunity to compete at training camp.

Competition at QB svcks. It means you don't know what you have. Well, if they don't know what they have, how are they going to plan the playbook? They better decide on a guy and stick with the guy unless the guy is a major liability. And this is an easy decision.

Basicaly, they either have a gunslinger or they don't. If they don't, and want to keep a QB, then they better run well and long and have a great defense.

Back
Top Bottom