PFT: Ryan Mallet "Almost Certain" to fall out of first round | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFT: Ryan Mallet "Almost Certain" to fall out of first round

Honestly though where do you think he will fall to? Early second or late Second?

Ryan Mallett's arm is a freak show...

Teams are going to have to dig into this kid's background and seperate fact from fiction just like all the rest of these guys... Remember, this is a kid who also qualified academically to attend the University of Michigan... he's not stupid.

D.J. Williams is quite possibly the highest character prospect in this entire draft, certainly one of the them. D.J. flat out said that Mallett had some issues when he first arrived at Arkansas... but he's also one of the staunchest supporters of Mallett, and insists that he's made quantum leaps in his personality and maturity from how he used to be.. Not that much different at all from, well... any of these quarterbacks. The "top 3" all have this type of history in their past.

I've said it from the beginning, it wouldn't surprise me if ALL these QB's are still on the board at 15...

Maybe. But I think Cam Newton will be long gone. He's my best guess at the #1 overall pick as of right now.

Simple as this: right now the chic choice for Carolina at #1 overall is Nick Fairley. Well, no offense to Mr. Fairley but when it comes to who factored larger in the 14-0 record in the SEC with a National Championship trophy, Fairley is a DISTANT second place...and will probably be the less valuable pro.

Maybe. But I think Cam Newton will be long gone. He's my best guess at the #1 overall pick as of right now.

Simple as this: right now the chic choice for Carolina at #1 overall is Nick Fairley. Well, no offense to Mr. Fairley but when it comes to who factored larger in the 14-0 record in the SEC with a National Championship trophy, Fairley is a DISTANT second place...and will probably be the less valuable pro.

If I had to put money on it, I'd go A. J. Green. Even though I think it's bull ****, I think they'll look at the Raiders passing on Green for Russell as a cautionary tale.

[video=youtube;E9yEqYTebNA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9yEqYTebNA[/video]

If I had to put money on it, I'd go A. J. Green. Even though I think it's bull ****, I think they'll look at the Raiders passing on Green for Russell as a cautionary tale.

Well, would this change your mind?

TFYDRAFT: At least a half dozen teams in San Antonio last week said they think Cam Newton is the top player in the draft: http://www.draftinsider.net/

With all due respect, the quarterback is one way or another usually the largest part of any teams' success, even in college. Tommie Frazier was the biggest part of Nebraska's success when they were dominant. Tim Tebow was the biggest part of Florida's success over the last few years.

That doesn't mean either of those guys should have been the first draft pick off of those teams.

I still haven't made up my mind what to think about Cam Newton yet. I admit that freely. But I don't buy into the comparison you're making here at all.

Nick Fairley was 14-0 too...

But the point is, Fairley single handedly preserved 25% of those wins by coming up huge in critical moments defensively. Nick Fairley was a lot easier to account for defensively than Cam Newton was offensively, yet he was always there beating the double teams and making the plays for Auburn's defense at the most critical of times, especially when you consider how bad Auburn's secondary was...

Mississippi St., Alabama, Georgia, and Oregon being 4 that stand out the most..

That's not taking anything away from Cam Newton, that's just giving Nick Fairley the credit he deserves for Auburn's season.

During his Freshmen year at Michigan, he made A LOT of enemies. He had a very high opinion of himself, and disrespected a lot of the seniors on the team. He almost left Michigan BEFORE the season started, but Lloyd Carr talked him out of it (so no, Rich Rod is not why he transferred), and by the end of the year Mallett had 2 teammates who were willing to back him up (Chad Henne and Mike Hart).

Now I don't know how much he changed at Arkansas, but from what I hear is he still does have a very high opinion of himself. I also know both CK and Slimm have said that a lot of people are gonna cringe when they interview him.

so basically what your telling me, he has a huge ego...like a lot of other nfl players. :ponder:

Nick Fairley was 14-0 too...

But the point is, Fairley single handedly preserved 25% of those wins by coming up huge in critical moments defensively. Nick Fairley was a lot easier to account for defensively than Cam Newton was offensively, yet he was always there beating the double teams and making the plays for Auburn's defense at the most critical of times, especially when you consider how bad Auburn's secondary was...

Mississippi St., Alabama, Georgia, and Oregon being 4 that stand out the most..

That's not taking anything away from Cam Newton, that's just giving Nick Fairley the credit he deserves for Auburn's season.

I know this is going to be baffling decision to you guys, but honestly if I am Carolina, I am drafting Fairley and letting Clausen battle it out one more year. I think Clausen can still be a starter in this league...

Fairley completely dominated double teams when teams knew to account for him and how to account for him. It didn't matter he still annihilated teams on the regular. Newton on the other hand is a huge part of their 14-0, but so is Fairley, so is the Malzahn offense, so is etc...

Its not completely or majority Newton's doing for their success.

No I don't believe he's fixable. I think he can be a good backup in the NFL because if a team isn't game planning for him and they don't get much exposure to him, they can make the mistake of trying to blitz him and put a bunch of people out in man coverage, and those are the occasions when he actually looks decent because he makes the right read on where he should throw the ball, and throws a good ball. But, you don't want him as your starter because the same problems that are sinking him as a starter are ones that he's dealt with his entire college and pro career. If they're not getting better after 7 years, they're probably not getting better.

Right now there's a strong danger that he gets worse, not better. He's pressing, the benching and everything with it has changed his outlook and attitude and I'm not convinced it's for the better. He doesn't have the confidence of his teammates. Defenses have figured his tendencies out, seemed every game we would hear a player on the other side make a comment to that effect that they knew what he was going to do.

He needs to sit...right NOW...before he does any more damage to himself. If he sits a while, practices more, is forced to confront his own problems and inadequacies as a player more by having some guy picked over him and seeing what that guy does that everyone considers to be good, and also what he does that isn't so good and where Henne could maybe differentiate himself a little...like I said the guy could be a good backup and a good backup means some day you will start games again and actually play well, like a Sage Rosenfels, Billy Volek, Jon Kitna or Shaun Hill. Right now though, he can't even play to that level, IMO.

You totally nailed it.

something about fairley in the pros has me concerned...other than the fact he's the dirtiest college player i've seen in years...no way i'd take him with the top pick..i like dareus more of the top interior dline guys

something about fairley in the pros has me concerned...other than the fact he's the dirtiest college player i've seen in years...no way i'd take him with the top pick..i like dareus more of the top interior dline guys

Defensive tackles are always risky picks in the top 10, especially when they're a one year wonder like Fairley.

Nick Fairley and Cam Newton are ironically the two biggest boom or bust picks in this draft in my opinion..

Back
Top Bottom