PFT: Ryan Mallet "Almost Certain" to fall out of first round | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFT: Ryan Mallet "Almost Certain" to fall out of first round

Thats just a great post with a ton of good points, especially in the middle paragraphs. However, I respectfully disagree with you that Chad Henne is an accurate thrower of the football.

But, those are great points about how being non agressive with your throws and decisions can actually lead to more turnovers because the defense knows what to expect and you minimize your margin for error that way. Very true. If a guy is stepping back and firing and the ball is coming out quick on almost every play, you keep the defense on its heels. They arent sure where its coming, they just know its coming. Therefore a ball would have to be misfired and thrown right into the defenses hands for it to be intercepted, and even then a lot of those passes defenders drop because they come up on them hot and the reaction time makes it tough for a defender to catch.

Please explain why you think Henne isn't an accurate thrower?

You do know that to step back and fire away your skill positions have to get open quickly? We didn't have a terrible WR core, but we had quite the slow one. You add into the fact that Henning likes to only run 2-3 route per play sometimes and those are bunched up in a tight offense with the defense playing as the aggressor, you can't really start firing away WV.

Henne's accuaracy isn't bad. Now his ball placement on the other hand, that leaves something to be desired.

About 74% of Chad Henne's passes either were caught this year, or hit their target on the hands to where PFF considered it a "drop". Last year it was about 72%. That's an accurate thrower. Chad Pennington is one of the most accurate passers in the history of the NFL and his percentage in 2008 (one of his best years in the NFL) was only 76%. And you can't blame shot selection, because only 8% of Penny's pass attempts went 20+ yards beyond the line of scrimmage in 2008, versus 11% for Henne in 2009 and 9% in 2010.

As jetssuck says, his ball placement leaves something to be desired, but Henne is an accurate thrower. That is NOT his problem.

IMO a lot of passes that Henne throws were intended as throwaways that some folks may confuse with a bad pass. Henne's accuracy is not bad but as stated before, his ball placement is less then desireable.

No doubt Henne regressed but it's not like he really took a huge step back. He was very good in the 09 Jets game but was average, at best, in the majority of the other games. One significant difference I see in him is his self confidence. This is a kid that in 09 threw a pick against the Bucs that set them up for the go ahead TD late in the 4th but he came right back out and moved the team downfield for the winning TD. That confidence is gone. No doubt Lee, Henning and Sparano mishandled him, but Henne's lack of skills and leadership is what has done him in.

About 74% of Chad Henne's passes either were caught this year, or hit their target on the hands to where PFF considered it a "drop". Last year it was about 72%. That's an accurate thrower. Chad Pennington is one of the most accurate passers in the history of the NFL and his percentage in 2008 (one of his best years in the NFL) was only 76%. And you can't blame shot selection, because only 8% of Penny's pass attempts went 20+ yards beyond the line of scrimmage in 2008, versus 11% for Henne in 2009 and 9% in 2010.

As jetssuck says, his ball placement leaves something to be desired, but Henne is an accurate thrower. That is NOT his problem.
Just watching, it seems like he is fine and very accurate if he can just step into it and rifle the ball somewhere. His problems with accuracy seem to be when he needs to make a touch throw.

Ryan Mallet says wats up

captionshilarious13jpgw500h330-1.jpg

Just watching, it seems like he is fine and very accurate if he can just step into it and rifle the ball somewhere. His problems with accuracy seem to be when he needs to make a touch throw.

Its not even that. His touch throws improved in 10.

What dooms him is when he has to throw with no weight transfer, bad leverage, or on the move. But when he is able to sit in the pocket and even side stepping, he can deliver rockets to the right place most of the time.

Tell me CK, do you think Henne is fixable? It seems like I am his only believer still on this forums. I don't think he will ever be elite per se Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Rivers, but I do think if he is put in the right system, right players surrounding him and right gameplan, he can be successful on this level.

Its not even that. His touch throws improved in 10.

What dooms him is when he has to throw with no weight transfer, bad leverage, or on the move. But when he is able to sit in the pocket and even side stepping, he can deliver rockets to the right place most of the time.

Yes on occasion he can do that but another problem he has is the decision to make the throw. It seems as if he is going through his reads entirely to quickly thus relying on a check down instead of letting the play open up or he'll stare the route he wants until its open then make the throw.

Tell me CK, do you think Henne is fixable? It seems like I am his only believer still on this forums. I don't think he will ever be elite per se Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Rivers, but I do think if he is put in the right system, right players surrounding him and right gameplan, he can be successful on this level.

You're not the only one, Rob. I still have faith in Henne's ability. I just think it's clear he's done here, and that even if the FO and coaches wanted to keep him around, guys like Marshall and Bess don't really jive with his talents.

I'm actually in favor of going with Henne next year over getting desperate and trading away picks for a teams throwaway trash . . . I mean what team gives up a "franchise" QB?

I think the Dolphins QB situation is the most interesting in the league, and that is not a good thing for us. I pretty much ignore those who say "I am more accurate than Henne" and BS posts like that, because it gets pretty stupid after a while. I just want Jeff Ireland to do what he feels best, if he likes a guy then roll the dice, but just don't roll the dice on a guy because he is a first round pick . . . make sure you watched him over and over, interviewed him, did your background checks and decided he is a guy you want to bring in to the Miami Dolphins. Saying that, I think we are very fortunate to have Chad Henne under contract another season and we are hopefully going to give him a shot with a new OC and new coaching . . . because ability is not the problem with Henne, it's inconsistency and I think the scheme we were running under Henne has alot to do with that.

Would it actually suprise anybody if we drafted Gabbert, Mallet, Locker, Newton, Ponder, Yates, etc . . . any of those guys, and Chad Henne beats them out in camp? Definitely wouldn't suprise me and that is why we have the luxury of having him on the roster for next season . . . however we would be foolish not to bring in some new blood at QB, because although I like Henne, like others have said he may be "damaged goods" in Miami . . . and I don't know if he will ever have a place here.

What is going to ultimately suck in the end is, Henne could move on to another team and actually make headlines with that team and we potentially could still be struggling to find our franchise guy.

I dunno, maybe it will be obvious that he just doesn't have that "it" factor this season . . . but I have to laugh when people want to just dump him and bring in one of the "superstar" options in the free agency pool or trade a first for another teams leftovers.

You're not the only one, Rob. I still have faith in Henne's ability. I just think it's clear he's done here, and that even if the FO and coaches wanted to keep him around, guys like Marshall and Bess don't really jive with his talents.

For some reason I see him doing really well in a place like Green Bay.

i'm done with henne as far as the thinking of he could ever be a franchise qb...i think he can play better than he did this last season under the right offense and calls but the ship has sailed for me on any franchise potential...

i think some of his issues are just part of who he is as a qb and not fixable...

Back
Top Bottom