Pitts, welcome to South Florida. Falcons will take Field | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pitts, welcome to South Florida. Falcons will take Field

I'm less sold on the need to take offensive backs than most of Finheaven, as I think of the word 'playmaker' somewhat differently.

Most folks use that word, and they mean receivers and running backs, but I'm just as likely to see a pass-rushing linebacker or defensive end as a 'playmaker'.

I'm with you with that first receiver... we need to take one shot there, but after that, I leave the bandwagon.

Highly drafted players have to be kept, and that means that good players are frequently jettisoned to keep a guy who isn't ready, and I don't want to do that. I'd be on board with spending a first round pick this year, and then another first or second round pick NEXT year if this year's pick is slow to develop, but I think it'd be a mistake to double up this year.

...and I'm against a top pick on a Running Back, as well... Now, I'd like to take one, but I, personally, wouldn't take one before the third round.
Yep. Playmakers are players who score tds, get ints and sack the qb. We need all of those.

I'm less sold on the need to take offensive backs than most of Finheaven, as I think of the word 'playmaker' somewhat differently.

Most folks use that word, and they mean receivers and running backs, but I'm just as likely to see a pass-rushing linebacker or defensive end as a 'playmaker'.

I'm with you with that first receiver... we need to take one shot there, but after that, I leave the bandwagon.

Highly drafted players have to be kept, and that means that good players are frequently jettisoned to keep a guy who isn't ready, and I don't want to do that. I'd be on board with spending a first round pick this year, and then another first or second round pick NEXT year if this year's pick is slow to develop, but I think it'd be a mistake to double up this year.

...and I'm against a top pick on a Running Back, as well... Now, I'd like to take one, but I, personally, wouldn't take one before the third round.
which RB would you look at with the 81st pick? Keep in mind we don't pick again till 156........that's 75 players that will go off the board before pick again so if you want to wait till the 81 pick you gotta hope the guy you want will be there unless we trade down for more picks earlier.

Look up his size, his speed, his wingspan. Tell me what other TE in recent NFL history has all three?

Whether he will translate, no one knows for sure at this point. But for numbers that can quantify on paper, yes, he is generational.
Those attributes are pretty much already on our roster.

EC119328-DE53-4085-95E3-44BA290210A2.jpg

I would write Pitt's name in pencil. As with you, I think Grier/Flores probably have a different view of building their team. I wonder what the best way to go about the draft is and if we should treat each pick as an individual pick or perhaps a pairing. For example, let's say we stay pat and pick who is available, take Pitts, and Collins then with our 2nd rounder, take Elijah Moore. Conversely, let's say we targeted two players in the 1st, Pitts and Parsons. We take Pitts at #6 and give up our first 2nd rounder to trade up for Parsons.

is Pitts/Collins/Moore <= Pitts/Parsons ?
I'm rarely going to go with the trade up for just this reason... Most of the players taken in the first three rounds of the draft (or so) have legitimate shots to become very good players and I'm always loathe to give one of them up.

If Pitts is there at 6, I think whether they draft him or not will depend on if they think they will be able to resign Gesicki after next season. While Gesicki might not be Pitts, he is the best TE the Dolphins have had in the past 2 decades and he has continued to improve each year while with the Dolphins.

Unless the Dolphins plan to use Pitts more as a WR than a TE. I don’t see them drafting him if they think they can resign Gesicki. If they believe that Gesicki will resign, I think they will go WR at 6. If they think they won’t be able to resign him, then I can see Pitts being the pick if he is there at 6.
We might be more than happy to keep both and run non-stop two tight end formations. Very few teams are set up to defend that, especially with two guys who both run and catch very well.

You have to admit, it would be fun to have the offense that everyone was talking about, because no one else really ran it much.

to be fair, making a lot of trades doesn't mean you draft well. you can have a lot of picks but you need to turn those picks into good/great players.
To be fair...making trades is a huge part of the draft process as well. Every team misses on some. Personally I prefer having more picks to increase the odds in our favor.

which RB would you look at with the 81st pick? Keep in mind we don't pick again till 156........that's 75 players that will go off the board before pick again so if you want to wait till the 81 pick you gotta hope the guy you want will be there unless we trade down for more picks earlier.
Stevenson, Sermon, or Hill.

All three look like pounder backs. All three are older (like Harris) and should only be one contract backs (like Harris), but that doesn't mean that they couldn't be exactly what we need for four to six years.

If I'm going to play the game of never resigning a Running Back when they come due, I'm just not going to expend high draft picks for what promises to be a four year stint.

Guys like the above make worthy targets.

So what does everyone think about Fullers signing? Nobody brings that up in these discussions. Does it mean the Phins view wr as set? Will they value Pitts more? Did sewels stock go up? I don't think Grier/ Phins have dimissed playmakers so far this year. Personally I hope they do go the Pitts route.

Who’s to say the Jets aren’t playing games? And really want Fields? There are good reasons to smokescreen unless your locked in on number one overall!
What are some of the reasons for the Jets or Niners to put smoke screens out? I am truly asking, because I don’t see anything they have to gain by doing that, but I could most definitely be missing something.

Knowing Grier, he’ll take the safest, non-sexy option available. So a guy that most people had pegged to go late 2nd. Prove to me you can draft in rounds 1-3 Grier you sack of ****.
I didn't like our picks at 18 and 30 last year, but definitely not bc they were "safe." Quite the opposite.

AJax was a project OT that had just come off a down year due to donating bone marrow to his sister. Iggy was an even bigger project. Had only played CB two years and was extremely raw. They were the first and third youngest players in the league.

My biggest criticisms of those picks were how unsafe they were. High upside, low floor guys. The part I do agree w is that both were overdrafted based on consensus projections.

But safe picks? Absolutely not.

What are some of the reasons for the Jets or Niners to put smoke screens out? I am truly asking, because I don’t see anything they have to gain by doing that, but I could most definitely be missing something.
Hypothetical...what if the Jets really wanted Fields at 2, but they decided to troll and see if the Niners might be after Wilson and they could pick up an extra pick for moving down one? A smart GM doesn’t reveal his true plan until the cards are played.

Not at all...they will draft him because he’s the most talented receiver in the draft and a unicorn.
I guess that means they could also draft Sewell or Surtain because they are also the most talented players at their positions.
By the way, you do realize that the definition of a Unicorn is a mystical creature who resembles a horse and has a horn protruding from its head. I really have no idea how Pitts fits this discription.

Hypothetical...what if the Jets really wanted Fields at 2, but they decided to troll and see if the Niners might be after Wilson and they could pick up an extra pick for moving down one? A smart GM doesn’t reveal his true plan until the cards are played.
This is exactly why I believe the FLO loves Parsons articles are popping up. Next will be Waddle.

You listening Detroit?

Kinda like how Atlanta is suddenly taking Pitts and we need to trade up for the Unicorn.

Also Detroit and Washington were drafting Tua. I wonder why they weren't considering Herbert? Oh yeah, because Miami was all in on Tua

I believe if Miami doesn't draft Pitts he falls to Dallas or SD

Last edited:
So what does everyone think about Fullers signing? Nobody brings that up in these discussions. Does it mean the Phins view wr as set? Will they value Pitts more? Did sewels stock go up? I don't think Grier/ Phins have dimissed playmakers so far this year. Personally I hope they do go the Pitts route.
Fuller is on a one year trial... if he shows well, we'll offer him more years.

Back
Top Bottom