Post the practice squad for the Dolphins here! | Page 32 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post the practice squad for the Dolphins here!

Players do not have to go to a team that claims them. They can choose to stay with their team on the Practice Squad.

Of course they never do because the money is so much better on an actual roster than the PS but they are not forced to go to another team.

But they shouldn’t even have the option to leave. The team should own their rights until fully releasing them. And every team should have the option to add a certain number of players to the PS w/o having to subject them to waivers (release them).

Before anyone cries unfair to the players, those that are drafted have never had a choice where they go until released. And those that signed as FA’s made their choice prior to camp. Why should they get a 2nd choice??

If a player is drafted or is signed as FA that player’s rights should be owned by the team if they decide to add them to the PS versus keeping them on the 53.

The NFL needs to ditch the waivers process for those players. Waivers should only be for players they don’t intend to keep on the 53 or PS or can’t be added to the PS due to eligibility.

I agree that there should be some protected spots.

I think the NFLPA would fight your idea since players being signed off a PS is a better financial opportunity for them as they would get a significant raise from PS money to the NFL minimum.

Been dealing with some horrible news today. Rough day to say the least. Trying to keep face, but sick to my stomach. I usually try to post as much Dolphins news as possible. So thanks again for posting the updates
sorry to hear brother. Hope things get better

But they shouldn’t even have the option to leave. The team should own their rights until fully releasing them. And every team should have the option to add a certain number of players to the PS w/o having to subject them to waivers (release them).
I disagree. Are you saying if a teams drafts me or signs me as a free agent and sign me to a free agent deal worth $1 million or $2 million per year and then cut me from their 53 man roster and want to pay be someting like $15,000 per week on a ps deal than I should have to stay with that team at that price even though there are other teams that want to pay me $2 million per year? So a team like say the Broncos could sign Russell Wilson and then release him but restrict him from going to another team pay him well under the league vet minimum.

Interesting that we are not filling the PT squad up as quickly as other teams. A story behind the story.

Interesting that we are not filling the PT squad up as quickly as other teams. A story behind the story.
Could be pending physicals on some or maybe some of the prospects have multiple offers and are taking their time choosing which team they want to go to and at the same time Miami doesn't want to fill that spot before they're out of the running for a prefered player.

I disagree. Are you saying if a teams drafts me or signs me as a free agent and sign me to a free agent deal worth $1 million or $2 million per year and then cut me from their 53 man roster and want to pay be someting like $15,000 per week on a ps deal than I should have to stay with that team at that price even though there are other teams that want to pay me $2 million per year? So a team like say the Broncos could sign Russell Wilson and then release him but restrict him from going to another team pay him well under the league vet minimum.

No, I’m not saying any of that.

I said players drafted or signed as free agents (that are eligible for PS) shouldn’t go through the waivers process at all.

When rosters must be trimmed to 53, I’m saying the team should be able to designate a certain number of players to the PS and those players should be protected from poaching and should continue to receive whatever money is guaranteed per their contract (as they are still on the team).

In short, the NFL needs a true developmental system like MLB and the NBA have. A way for teams to hang on to young promising talent that isn’t quite ready for primetime but can be developed over a few years and not poached by others.

Right now teams often aren’t being rewarded for developing their own players.

Take Skylar Thompson as an example. He’s a promising player that might develop over time but can’t be protected on the PS thus the Dolphins had to use up a valuable roster spot for a player that really isn’t ready to play just yet.

They shouldn’t have to do that. They should be able to develop him — and a few other young players — under different designation that doesn’t require them to be on the active 53 and w/o the risk of poaching.

Last edited:
If I was a young CB wanting to learn the position in the NFL. I would certainly enjoy being coached by two former pro bowl CB’s in the league and a DC who has shown he can develop young players in the secondary.
No doubt all of that was part of the pitch to woo these talented but young DBs. So much excited for the upcoming season with this new staff and upgraded roster.

Back
Top Bottom