Post the practice squad for the Dolphins here! | Page 33 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post the practice squad for the Dolphins here!

No, I’m not saying any of that.

I said players drafted or signed as free agents (that are eligible for PS) shouldn’t go through the waivers process at all.

When rosters must be trimmed to 53, I’m saying the team should be able to designate a certain number of players to the PS and those players should be protected from poaching and should continue to receive whatever money is guaranteed per their contract (as they are still on the team).

In short, the NFL needs a true developmental system like MLB and the NBA have. A way for teams to hang on to young promising talent that isn’t quite ready for primetime but can be developed over a few years and not poached by others.

Right now teams often aren’t being rewarded for developing their own players.

Take Skylar Thompson as an example. He’s a promising player that might develop over time but can’t be protected on the PS thus the Dolphins had to use up a valuable roster spot for a player that really isn’t ready to play just yet.

They shouldn’t have to do that. They should be able to develop him — and a few other young players — under different designation that doesn’t require them to be on the active 53 and w/o the risk of poaching.
The players union should consider this. However I think the PS structure as it is was heavily negotiated and good ideas such as this are unlikely to be adopted without some other give by players, owners etc.

The players union should consider this. However I think the PS structure as it is was heavily negotiated and good ideas such as this are unlikely to be adopted without some other give by players, owners etc.

I get all that. Beauty of being fans and suggesting things is we don't have to figure out how to make it work ;)

That said, not that long ago the NBA didn't have a developmental system with player protection in place either. They aren't where MLB is at, but they are much further along and far better off than they were 20 years ago.

As I stated before, due to the physical nature of the sport and due to the immense cost with much less fan support, it probably doesn't make sense to have a developmental league like baseball does with AA, AAA, etc and the NBA does with G-League. But they could easily adjust their current system to allow for player protection and development so the team's identifying and developing these young players are the ones that actually benefit from it. It also benefits the product on the field as when a 3rd or 4th string player is elevated to the 53 man roster due to injury chances are greater that the player has been practicing with that team for longer than a Summer and a training camp.

Of the Dolphins' cuts, is it only Pankey and Doaks whose status is up in the air? Kindley appears not to be wanted.

Perhaps Doaks feels the opportunity with the Dolphins is limited, especially if the team prefers White over himself.

Of the Dolphins' cuts, is it only Pankey and Doaks whose status is up in the air? Kindley appears not to be wanted.

Perhaps Doaks feels the opportunity with the Dolphins is limited, especially if the team prefers White over himself.
It could also be that the Dolphins haven’t offered him a spot on their PS. I think there were some posters on here who were more impressed by Doaks that the Dolphins or the other teams around the league appear to be.

Any offensive player that was here last year was on thin ice with the new coaching staff. Guys like Doaks, Bowden, Preston, Soliman, Pankey, all lost out to new arrivals. But on defense, we still got that Fed guy at safety, although he's on the IR for the 1st four weeks. Says something about what was happening last year around here.

IMO Pankey and Kindley outplayed Jones, but we only get to see the preseason games. There's a ton we don't see in practice, film room, locker room, etc.

IMO Pankey and Kindley outplayed Jones, but we only get to see the preseason games. There's a ton we don't see in practice, film room, locker room, etc.
Right. We don't know about work ethic, practice etc.

I also thought Kindley looked good.

Back
Top Bottom