Pro Football Talk - "Mutual" Interest Between Dolphins and RB Aaron Jones | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pro Football Talk - "Mutual" Interest Between Dolphins and RB Aaron Jones

After the massive failure of Bell...I'm not on board with Jones. Much rather address RB solely in draft.

If you want to give your 2nd year QB a chance, Aaron Jones will take some heat off. I mean he isn't going to be Henry in terms of attempts but he can damn sure carry the rock 225 to 250 times per year, that is a true #1 RB.

You would think our front office learned its lesson with the Jordan Howard signing and Matt Breida trade. Not to mention the surprise success of Myles Gaskins out playing them all, its almost like.....we should draft another RB again. If we sign Aaron Jones then I will be disappointed and start thinking "what does this front office have against drafting a RB in the early rounds?" - doesnt have to be a 1st round pick, but 2nd round seems reasonable especially since we have two 2nd round picks, we had two 2nd round picks last year too and passed on some good RB's. Hope we don't make that mistake again.

If you want to give your 2nd year QB a chance, Aaron Jones will take some heat off. I mean he isn't going to be Henry in terms of attempts but he can damn sure carry the rock 225 to 250 times per year, that is a true #1 RB.

That's my thinking. A vet to help the young guys like Tua , most of the O line and the new WR's I expect us to bring in

A big plus is his cold weather play from being in GB
Might come in handle in places like Buffalo late in the season or in the playoffs

Aaron Jones is dynamic with good YPA and he’s a really good receiver out of the backfield. But, I hope we don’t break the bank with any free agents. Of course, we signed Byron Jones at CB last year so maybe it will happen. The fundamental problem with free agents is overpaying.

Even if we get him I’d like to see us get a bigger, tackle-breaking back. Ahmed and Gaskin to go with Jones looks a tad similar.

Would love if Aaron Jones was a Miami Dolphin in 3 weeks. Just such a good fit for the offense.

People using the term "Oh just draft your running back" . . . yea but then that leaves another high value position on the table we could of addressed in those earlier rounds.

Jones/Gaskins/day 3 back with some size. Day 2 we can continue the focus on WR and some of the sneaky nice OL prospects. Maybe look at a center field type safety in what is a deep class.

Taking running back top 50 doesn't appeal to me. Resolve it in FA and then value add on day 3. You aren't married to Jones if u sign him in FA, u just fill the need with a kid that has been arguably top 5 the last 2 seasons and has a complete skill set.

This won't be some crazy number on the 2021 cap either. U just blew 5 million on Howard, I feel more than confident the 2021 cap hit will be under 10 million for Jones

That's my thinking. A vet to help the young guys like Tua , most of the O line and the new WR's I expect us to bring in

A big plus is his cold weather play from being in GB
Might come in handle in places like Buffalo late in the season or in the playoffs
I mean let's face it, the Watson thing gives us something to talk about in the off-season but Miami ain't gonna pull that trigger. It's not like Houston is desperate to move him and it's not like Miami is desperate for a QB since they just drafted Tua last season. Overpaying for a QB is the last thing this team needs, a proven running back however is something they need.

You would think our front office learned its lesson with the Jordan Howard signing and Matt Breida trade. Not to mention the surprise success of Myles Gaskins out playing them all, its almost like.....we should draft another RB again. If we sign Aaron Jones then I will be disappointed and start thinking "what does this front office have against drafting a RB in the early rounds?" - doesnt have to be a 1st round pick, but 2nd round seems reasonable especially since we have two 2nd round picks, we had two 2nd round picks last year too and passed on some good RB's. Hope we don't make that mistake again.
Yes, but the "learning" is to get a proven stud at a good age, without injury issues. You cannot compare Jones to these other guys. Drafting an RB early does not mean they turn into a star. Jones is a star. I get the interest but am leery on the money as well. We cannot pretend that the draft will instantly yield a great back. Signing a UFA also allows the team to use one of those high picks on another position.

The Dolphins are not a veteran RB away from being a playoff team. They have bigger issues at WR , the offensive line and an edge rusher. I would prefer they spend their cap money to booster these positions than on a RB in free agency.

Jones is certainly one of the best backs in the NFL but the Dolphins can add a much cheaper and younger RB in the draft. There are several excellent players at the running back position in the 2021 draft and the Dolphins should be able to draft one of these top backs in the first three rounds of the draft.
You're right but if they fill that position it gives them leverage to use draft assets to fill those other spots that could very well make them a playoff team. They need weapons and he's a weapon. They're unlikely to have the chance to spend reasonable money on a #1 WR, so use it on a young, 3-down back with plenty of tread likely still on his tires. Getting a cheaper RB in the draft does not guarantee you can plug and play them successfully. Jones won't have the hiccups a rookie will have and you know he's good. Saving that second rounder for another position makes this an attractive option.

After the massive failure of Bell...I'm not on board with Jones. Much rather address RB solely in draft.
I don't think they're comparable. You cannot compare them just because they're both RBs. You have to look at a lot of other factors, including character, tread on the tires, scheme fit, etc.

I feel like you are only saying this because you want us to draft a UM guy at 18,36, or 50 instead of a RB. That gives you more chances to get your Cane :CANE:

ha ha . I am a canes homer that's for sure brother Crump :ffic:

saw an article where it might be like 4 years 46 million (i'm not believing it).

i was against paying big moolah for a free agent RB, but i love this guy and my ears perked up.

if it's around 10 per (or less), if you can afford it, and you can use the high pick on other positions, i might be in.

as long as it doesn't affect your ability to financially do what you want to do, it ain't my money.

I understand the argument to draft a RB rather than sign one in free agency.

However, if Miami was planning on targeting a RB with one of their picks in the 1st or 2nd rounds I think it would be money well spent to sign Jones assuming it is a reasonable contract.

That would equate to a draft pick in the top 50 that would come with Jones signing. Who would argue with that?

Back
Top Bottom