Pro Football Talk - "Mutual" Interest Between Dolphins and RB Aaron Jones | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pro Football Talk - "Mutual" Interest Between Dolphins and RB Aaron Jones

Never. Pay. RB.

I think once you get into the habit of getting a really good one, then you can churn them every 2 or 3 years and take advantage of that value. I still would start that "process" this year, on day 3. But Jones ability as a Flex on passing downs would be a real solid add to this offense in addition to the running and pass pro ability. He's a legit 3 down back with good tread left.

I'd pay a RB before taking one with one of the 4 top 50 picks. Obviously there is always exceptions to every rule but I'm not trying to be forced into the position early because I was worried about giving a back like Jones less than double of the cap hit I just gave Howard last year.

Jones is unique as I wouldn't of paid Zeke, or Dalvin for various reasons, but the skillset and just overall character of Aaron Jones has something I've admired from afar. Great kid and a great player.

I’d rather draft a rb middle second or lower. But I’d rather get Jones for 10 to 12 million a year than what over half this board wants. To spend over half the available cap we have on a wr. Get Jones for 10 to 12 handling the ball 15 to 25 times a game. Or get Robertson for 18 to 20 million getting the ball 5 to 8 times a game.

Jones is obviously talented. But, as good as a fit he may be, there is always that chance he doesn't live up to expectations and contract.

The fact that Tua is on a rookie contract, helps Miami with potential F/A signings. I'm not scared of the talent Jones possesses, the scary part is signing a RB to big dollars and fails.

I like Jones.... for the money tho, I'd rather look at his teammate Jamal Williams. That guy runs like a truck.

I'd still prefer to use our money on a pass rusher. I wouldn't complain about getting either GB RB tho.

Jones is obviously talented. But, as good as a fit he may be, there is always that chance he doesn't live up to expectations and contract.

The fact that Tua is on a rookie contract, helps Miami with potential F/A signings. I'm not scared of the talent Jones possesses, the scary part is signing a RB to big dollars and fails.
Very true but with a 1st or 2nd round RB that most seem to want you still have those concerns .

Maybe not the money part but the fails part.
Cadillac Williams was a sure thing , etc

Very true but with a 1st or 2nd round RB that most seem to want you still have those concerns .

Maybe not the money part but the fails part.
I agree. And I think that's why the position has been devalued so much over the years. Teams seem to look for their RB's on the 2nd and 3rd days of the draft.

You guys all are presenting legitimate concerns

I just keep going back to how young and inexperienced our QB , O line and maybe WR's after the draft and a vet leader in the backfield who has playoff and cold weather experience might be a good thing to have. Just my humble opinion as always

The biggest mistake you can make as an organization is taking a RB in round 1 and be strong armed into extending after 3 years. That is literally the biggest waste of a first round pick in the NFL today. And its going to happen if the guy is great or it won't happen if the guy is average to bad.

In the case of Jones, there is nothing to suggest he is going to be some massive failure. He doesn't have some bad injury history and he hasn't been run into the ground in Green Bay. He has a stellar off the field record as well. If it happens, there were literally no warning signs for it.

These RB deals are often 2 year deals . . . 3 if the team is in a desperate cap situation and is looking to give a little more signing bonus for an easy cap hit in the first year or 2. Miami isn't in a desperate cap situation so I think the deal would be structured to where the contract is easy to get out of in year 3. I would say anything under 4 million dead in year 3 would be ideal for Miami.

Franchise tag for RB is roughly 11 million. . . and some project "up to" 15 million for Jones in FA, so lets split it and say the contract is 4/52 or 13 AAV.

I think the goal for Miami is to get the 2021 cap hit under 10 million, just from a flexibility standpoint with the tighter cap and some projections a 20 million plus increase in 2022.

Jones at 4/52 . . . I'd say a 7 million dollar signing bonus with base/bonuses totaling 8 million in year 1. That would put the cap hit at 9.75 million in 2021 and the dead money opt out in 2023 (2 years later when he is only 28) . . . is 3.5 million.

2022 would kick the base/bonuses up to 10 million and the cap hit would be 11.75 million. 2 years in you have a cap hit of 21.5 million or 10.75 AAV.

Last 2 years would be inflated and not guaranteed . . . 13 and 14 million respectively in base/bonus those final 2 years.

So in the end the Jones contract would basically be 2 years/25 million with 3.5 million dead after 2 years if you moved on. The cap would stay under 10 million this year and only crank up to just under 12 million in the 2nd year when the cap increases.

I mean I like him, would be good for us, but I dont like the price we would have to pay

The biggest mistake you can make as an organization is taking a RB in round 1 and be strong armed into extending after 3 years. That is literally the biggest waste of a first round pick in the NFL today. And its going to happen if the guy is great or it won't happen if the guy is average to bad.

In the case of Jones, there is nothing to suggest he is going to be some massive failure. He doesn't have some bad injury history and he hasn't been run into the ground in Green Bay. He has a stellar off the field record as well. If it happens, there were literally no warning signs for it.

These RB deals are often 2 year deals . . . 3 if the team is in a desperate cap situation and is looking to give a little more signing bonus for an easy cap hit in the first year or 2. Miami isn't in a desperate cap situation so I think the deal would be structured to where the contract is easy to get out of in year 3. I would say anything under 4 million dead in year 3 would be ideal for Miami.

Franchise tag for RB is roughly 11 million. . . and some project "up to" 15 million for Jones in FA, so lets split it and say the contract is 4/52 or 13 AAV.

I think the goal for Miami is to get the 2021 cap hit under 10 million, just from a flexibility standpoint with the tighter cap and some projections a 20 million plus increase in 2022.

Jones at 4/52 . . . I'd say a 7 million dollar signing bonus with base/bonuses totaling 8 million in year 1. That would put the cap hit at 9.75 million in 2021 and the dead money opt out in 2023 (2 years later when he is only 28) . . . is 3.5 million.

2022 would kick the base/bonuses up to 10 million and the cap hit would be 11.75 million. 2 years in you have a cap hit of 21.5 million or 10.75 AAV.

Last 2 years would be inflated and not guaranteed . . . 13 and 14 million respectively in base/bonus those final 2 years.

So in the end the Jones contract would basically be 2 years/25 million with 3.5 million dead after 2 years if you moved on. The cap would stay under 10 million this year and only crank up to just under 12 million in the 2nd year when the cap increases.

I was waiting for you to make the case with numbers i knew I could not my friend. To me he is another piece to the championship puzzle and at that price i would strongly concern doing the deal.

Back
Top Bottom