Pro Football Talk - "Mutual" Interest Between Dolphins and RB Aaron Jones | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pro Football Talk - "Mutual" Interest Between Dolphins and RB Aaron Jones

On top of other dubious crap we've been up to of late, no.
This OC situation is a joke.
I totally disagree with your statement signing a RB running equates to a decade of this teams downfall. Just utterly ridiculous.

The OC situation however. I totally agree with you. Prob a 90% chance we make another oc change after next season. 2 OC's has never worked and I doubt it will here

A bit dramatic, don't you think?
It really feels like our 'rebuild' has now reached the 'poop or get off the pot' step and if we take the 'latter' path by mismanaging the roster and coaching hires then we just wasted 3 years and will have to fire everybody and go back to square one.
It really feels like the Dolphins are on the brink of falling backwards. Chan Gailey was not a good hire and there are worrisome signs of incompetence coming out of Miami Gardens.
Also, as positive as I can be about Tua, and I have championed him much more than not, if he fails we're looking at a failed rebuild, fired coaches and starting over. Cant say Im not worried.

I totally disagree with your statement signing a RB running equates to a decade of this teams downfall. Just utterly ridiculous.

The OC situation however. I totally agree with you. Prob a 90% chance we make another oc change after next season. 2 OC's has never worked and I doubt it will here
It's not 'getting the RB', it's the making of a dumb decision showing that our decision-makers are idiots, will fail, get fired, and we'll lose half a decade getting back to where we are now.
So, yeah, 'a decade' was a bit nutty.
5 years? Not so much.

It's not 'getting the RB', it's the making of a dumb decision showing that our decision-makers are idiots, will fail, get fired, and we'll lose half a decade getting back to where we are now.
5 years? Not so much.
So it took 2 years to get to now, so if we fail this year we lose 5 years because of it?

5 years? Not so much.
Ok but we have a relatively high success rate with Grier when it comes to free agents. Although he got it wrong at RB last year, Jones is 10× the player Breita and Howard were together.

I'm actually hoping we do sign a RB that can play at a high level right away. Kallen Ballage ring amy bells? I dont trust we can draft a RB. We drafted 2 Tackles last year and a QB and half the fan base wants either the QB replaced or wants to draft another Tackle..... drafting MUST improve or the rebuild isn't going to work. I have hopes Tua and the 2020 Tackles will be fine. Take Chase, Smith or Waddle add Aaron Jones or Jamal Williams in FA and were vastly improved on offense. Cut Parker sign Samuel or Godwin and our offense will be very good.

I understand the argument to draft a RB rather than sign one in free agency.

However, if Miami was planning on targeting a RB with one of their picks in the 1st or 2nd rounds I think it would be money well spent to sign Jones assuming it is a reasonable contract.

That would equate to a draft pick in the top 50 that would come with Jones signing. Who would argue with that?
Exactly. You have to look at the overall picture of what this could do, not in isolation. It's not like they're going to have a lot of other great offensive skill position players to go after in free agency either. The receivers are either too expensive or will get tagged or don't fill the skillset need.

Yea we wasted 8 mil on running backs that did nothing this year but the team survived
The misses do not stop you from making a pitch for a great player. All teams have misses. New England traded a pick to Miami for Ford then cut him, then Miami signed him back. New England also traded a SECOND ROUNDER for Mohammed Sanu when most people who had watched him play thought he was damaged goods. So even the best teams make moves that don't work. Howard was a fail but he had been a productive back and they got out of the contract after one year with no further damage. I don't know what that has to do with Aaron Jones, who is clearly a star back at a need position.

How can you say that about the OC's without knowing how responsibilities are broken down? KC has Andy Reid as play caller and Bienemy as the OC. I don't see anyone complaining about their offense (superbowl notwithstanding). These are just titles and we tend to get wrapped up in them. It's all about who does what. As long as there are clear delineations in responsibilities that do not cause overlap I don't see the issue.

swinging and missing on a fa doesn't kill you unless the contract is bad. AJ is a stud, if we get him on even an expensive "good" contract we'll be fine. Not pushing for him just saying

Ok but we have a relatively high success rate with Grier when it comes to free agents. Although he got it wrong at RB last year, Jones is 10× the player Breita and Howard were together.

I'm actually hoping we do sign a RB that can play at a high level right away. Kallen Ballage ring amy bells? I dont trust we can draft a RB. We drafted 2 Tackles last year and a QB and half the fan base wants either the QB replaced or wants to draft another Tackle..... drafting MUST improve or the rebuild isn't going to work. I have hopes Tua and the 2020 Tackles will be fine. Take Chase, Smith or Waddle add Aaron Jones or Jamal Williams in FA and were vastly improved on offense. Cut Parker sign Samuel or Godwin and our offense will be very good.
Breida wasn't even a FA.

How can you say that about the OC's without knowing how responsibilities are broken down? KC has Andy Reid as play caller and Bienemy as the OC. I don't see anyone complaining about their offense (superbowl notwithstanding). These are just titles and we tend to get wrapped up in them. It's all about who does what. As long as there are clear delineations in responsibilities that do not cause overlap I don't see the issue.
I still don't like it on the surface. Hopefully they prove us wrong but to me having 2 OCs is a recipe for disaster unless they are totally in sync with their offensive game plans and philosophies its probably not gonna work.

Back
Top Bottom