Pro Football Talk - "Mutual" Interest Between Dolphins and RB Aaron Jones | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pro Football Talk - "Mutual" Interest Between Dolphins and RB Aaron Jones

That would be a stupid move, Gaskin is doing more than good behind a rookie Oline, why not draft another nice RB prospect and another lineman with our massive amount of picks, besides C Linsley may leave the packers and would cost a lot less than A jones and is a top 3 center.

Jones is a good back, but I don't think Miami is in aposition to justify spending a lot on a back at this stage. If the line was set and gelled then maybe. However, putting Jones behind a poor or still growing oline has all the makings of a 3.5 or 4.0 yard per carry back and you don't need to spend $40 million for that.

We only have cap room for ONE quality NFL starter. Using it at RB means you just killed your football team and wasted another decade of our lives.

We have one of the worst run blocking offensive lines. Let's just say that if we were able to be a top offensive line then Gaskin would flourish more. Last season he showed glimpses that he could be a threat out of the backfield as a pass catcher as well.
Hell yeah. I was laughing at everyone who dissed Gaskin's 'lack of speed' while he ran away from the whole Raiders secondary on a screen pass TD.
Dude is plenty fast.
Gaskin, Ahmed and Javonte Williams and our backfield will 'get'r'done just fine.

Hell yeah. I was laughing at everyone who dissed Gaskin's 'lack of speed' while he ran away from the whole Raiders secondary on a screen pass TD.
Dude is plenty fast.
Gaskin, Ahmed and Javonte Williams and our backfield will 'get'r'done just fine.

And thats with mediocre run blocking. We rated almost the same for run, and pass blocking. Our ranking overall was 28th on the league. We did improve from giving up 50+ sacks to 35 or so.

Jones is a good back, but I don't think Miami is in aposition to justify spending a lot on a back at this stage. If the line was set and gelled then maybe. However, putting Jones behind a poor or still growing oline has all the makings of a 3.5 or 4.0 yard per carry back and you don't need to spend $40 million for that.
They pursued LeVeon Bell and made a substantial offer so my guess is that the team feels differently.

FA is for 'need', the draft is for 'BPA'. It's an overgeneralization but more true than not.
Miami has much bigger Needs than RB.

Or, in other words, there wasnt a single RB in the league that wouldve won us even one more game in 2020, but another good OL guy or WR wouldve, IMO. Another one of either OL or WR wouldve won us the game vs Denver.

You guys all are presenting legitimate concerns

I just keep going back to how young and inexperienced our QB , O line and maybe WR's after the draft and a vet leader in the backfield who has playoff and cold weather experience might be a good thing to have. Just my humble opinion as always
As I said before, this wouldn't be my first choice, but it also isn't the disastrous choice many here are painting it to be.

What kinda money do we think he would fetch??

The biggest mistake you can make as an organization is taking a RB in round 1 and be strong armed into extending after 3 years. That is literally the biggest waste of a first round pick in the NFL today. And its going to happen if the guy is great or it won't happen if the guy is average to bad.

In the case of Jones, there is nothing to suggest he is going to be some massive failure. He doesn't have some bad injury history and he hasn't been run into the ground in Green Bay. He has a stellar off the field record as well. If it happens, there were literally no warning signs for it.

These RB deals are often 2 year deals . . . 3 if the team is in a desperate cap situation and is looking to give a little more signing bonus for an easy cap hit in the first year or 2. Miami isn't in a desperate cap situation so I think the deal would be structured to where the contract is easy to get out of in year 3. I would say anything under 4 million dead in year 3 would be ideal for Miami.

Franchise tag for RB is roughly 11 million. . . and some project "up to" 15 million for Jones in FA, so lets split it and say the contract is 4/52 or 13 AAV.

I think the goal for Miami is to get the 2021 cap hit under 10 million, just from a flexibility standpoint with the tighter cap and some projections a 20 million plus increase in 2022.

Jones at 4/52 . . . I'd say a 7 million dollar signing bonus with base/bonuses totaling 8 million in year 1. That would put the cap hit at 9.75 million in 2021 and the dead money opt out in 2023 (2 years later when he is only 28) . . . is 3.5 million.

2022 would kick the base/bonuses up to 10 million and the cap hit would be 11.75 million. 2 years in you have a cap hit of 21.5 million or 10.75 AAV.

Last 2 years would be inflated and not guaranteed . . . 13 and 14 million respectively in base/bonus those final 2 years.

So in the end the Jones contract would basically be 2 years/25 million with 3.5 million dead after 2 years if you moved on. The cap would stay under 10 million this year and only crank up to just under 12 million in the 2nd year when the cap increases.

Here is a good break down Marty

He's not coming cheap

They pursued LeVeon Bell and made a substantial offer so my guess is that the team feels differently.
I think Bell got much less with the Chiefs. I don't think Miami would have been offer anywhere near the $40 million that it's rumored Jones will cost.

You would think our front office learned its lesson with the Jordan Howard signing and Matt Breida trade. Not to mention the surprise success of Myles Gaskins out playing them all, its almost like.....we should draft another RB again. If we sign Aaron Jones then I will be disappointed and start thinking "what does this front office have against drafting a RB in the early rounds?" - doesnt have to be a 1st round pick, but 2nd round seems reasonable especially since we have two 2nd round picks, we had two 2nd round picks last year too and passed on some good RB's. Hope we don't make that mistake again.
The only rationale I can think is that the cap-hit cost of FA OL or WR or Edge or LB is so much higher than RB that we need all our draft picks for players that could become starters at these positions.
A FA RB is cheaper than a FA at any other position other than PK or P.

Keep in mind that in an opportunity cost scenario of paying for a lineman and drafting a RB vs paying for a RB and drafting a lineman, you save more money with the latter.

Back
Top Bottom